NARS Radiant Cream Compact Foundation

Ingenue

I am talking washing and laying flat to dry. I have a lot of brushes, but I only use them on myself so it's not a hassle for me to wash them after every use. I don't even think it's possible for me not to do it. It's just a reflex like changing my underwear or putting on my shoes before I leave the house.
lol.gif
Okay, I'm not calling you OCD but...

Girl how many brushes do you use for everyday makeup? I use 4... MAYBE 5. And what are you using to clean them with?

shontay07108

:lol: Okay, I'm not calling you OCD but... Girl how many brushes do you use for everyday makeup? I use 4... MAYBE 5. And what are you using to clean them with?
:lol: It depends if I'm being lazy or not. It can be anywhere from 4 to 8. And I'm not even telling you what I clean it with because you will fall out, laugh at me and side eye me for all eternity. It's not brush cleaner, but it's really mild and gets the job done. :lol:

Ingenue

And I'm not even telling you what I clean it with because you will fall out, laugh at me and side eye me for all eternity. It's not brush cleaner, but it's really mild and gets the job done.
lol.gif
Oh now you MUST tell me!
girlhaha.gif
If it's a mild cleaner, that's good. That will be kind to the brush hairs. Think of it like this, would you wash your hair every single day? Eventually, you'll dry it out and it may start shedding/breaking. The same philosophy applies with brushes, particularly natural hair brushes.

Be careful not to get the ferrule wet. You'll be mad as hell if those hairs pop out in one big chunk! That actually happened to me once. Fortunately it was an Eco-Tools brush and I was only out of $12. I was still mad as hell though.

shontay07108

Oh now you MUST tell me! :haha: If it's a mild cleaner, that's good. That will be kind to the brush hairs. Think of it like this, would you wash your hair every single day? Eventually, you'll dry it out and it may start shedding/breaking. The same philosophy applies with brushes, particularly natural hair brushes. Be careful not to get the ferrule wet. You'll be mad as hell if those hairs pop out in one big chunk! That actually happened to me once. Fortunately it was an Eco-Tools brush and I was only out of $12. I was still mad as hell though.
I don't care what you say I cannot let my dirty brushes just lay there. :lol: My hair is another story, but not the brushes man. I feel anxiety coming on just thinking about it. If my brush fell apart on me I'd be mad as hell, too. That's why I'm always careful. OK, I use ivory soap. I know some people use it, but it seems to be frowned upon by most people. Some people buy brush cleaners or use shampoo of some sort. I used to buy Mac or Smashbox brush cleaner, but I started using the ivory soap and never looked back. My brushes are in great condition and I know it's not going to irritate my skin.

Ingenue

Girl, if Ivory soap works for you... then have at it.. I thought you were gonna say something like Johnson's Baby Wash or something.
lol.gif

Only thing... Ivory Soap is harsh as all get out. Don't believe me? Shower with it and don't put on lotion afterwards. See how fast you ash up.
lol.gif

I'm over here HOLLERING at you saying 'Not the brushes man.' I'm funny about certain things with makeup too. I spray my products every day to prevent bacteria transfer. And I keep a separate set of brushes for the occasional... ummm... questionable client. I can't have my brushes touch some of those people's faces. I don't know WHERE their faces have been! I've been called on some jobs to work with 'models' and I'm always dying to ask them what their REAL job is.

Ingenue

And for the record, that MAC brush cleaner is HORRID. Ugh. I bought it once and took it right back. Garbage. Doesn't even get the brushes all the way clean.

Parian Spirit is among the strongest, but kindest cleansers. I find that some of the other ones (like the Cinema Secrets version) don't condition the brushes the same way. I've been using Parian Spirit for years. Plus clients love the way the brushes smell (like fresh squeezed orange juice) when I work on them. Without failure, someone always comments on how good they smell.

luvlydee

And for the record, that MAC brush cleaner is HORRID. Ugh. I bought it once and took it right back. Garbage. Doesn't even get the brushes all the way clean.

Parian Spirit is among the strongest, but kindest cleansers. I find that some of the other ones (like the Cinema Secrets version) don't condition the brushes the same way. I've been using Parian Spirit for years. Plus clients love the way the brushes smell (like fresh squeezed orange juice) when I work on them. Without failure, someone always comments on how good they smell.
aw man i loove the mac brush cleaner. my brushes are still white and soft after I clean them with this. i spray the brushes usually after every use and when i deep clean i pour some in my small plastic container and mix with water and it gets all the gunk out.

my friend used the parian spirit (and according to her u got to let brushes sit for 15 min?? idk how this works) but she said after she took her brushes out they were all stiff as a board. and some of the reviews i read for this PS were not so great so i never had the desire to want to find out if it works for me or not lol

Ingenue

aw man i loove the mac brush cleaner. my brushes are still white and soft after I clean them with this. i spray the brushes usually after every use and when i deep clean i pour some in my small plastic container and mix with water and it gets all the gunk out.

my friend used the parian spirit (and according to her u got to let brushes sit for 15 min?? idk how this works) but she said after she took her brushes out they were all stiff as a board. and some of the reviews i read for this PS were not so great so i never had the desire to want to find out if it works for me or not lol
Oooooh I cannot deal with that MAC cleaner. Can't stand it. If her brushes are 'stiff' after deep cleaning with Parian Spirit (which is the only time there would be enough of the product on it to warrant stiffness), she has only to brush the head back and forth on a clean cloth. The great thing about Parian Spirit is that it conditions the bristles better than any other cleaner I've used. My bristles are super soft and shiny ... even after spot cleaning with the spray (which I do in between deep cleans). I spend a small fortune on brushes... so get real nitpicky about care for them because I always want them to look 'new.' Parian Spirit retains the original shape and shine better than any other cleaner I've used as well.

I don't like the 'detergent' aspect of the MAC cleaner... and my white brushes never got clean with that cleanser. They always looked 'dingy.'

PS. I've never heard of letting the brushes 'sit' for a certain amount of time. Is she 'soaking' them or something? I don't know how good that is for the brush. I just dip... swirl... and lay flat. I can clean about 75-100 brushes in 25-30 minutes.

califabulous

i LOVE the beauty blender. I rarely use a brush for foundation since I bought it....I'm going to get a back up soon. i've never had a more flawless finish.

luvlydee

PS. I've never heard of letting the brushes 'sit' for a certain amount of time. Is she 'soaking' them or something? I don't know how good that is for the brush. I just dip... swirl... and lay flat. I can clean about 75-100 brushes in 25-30 minutes.
She literally had poured some in a cup a put the brushes in it for 15 min. She said thats what the isntructions said lol idk the deal. Lol i also like that i can back to mac the bottle when im done.

luvlydee

ok guys so this is how Syracuse looked on me. I just realized i forgot to post these pictures before i returned it. This is with and without flash. With Flash it look HORRID on me but with no flash it looks pretty decent. now idk what to do. Should i just get syracuse and apply a darker powder to avoid the ghostly face with flash?? or should i just stick with my Tahoe?? which i think it tends to look kind of orange...

GoldenGirl

ok guys so this is how Syracuse looked on me. I just realized i forgot to post these pictures before i returned it. This is with and without flash. With Flash it look HORRID on me but with no flash it looks pretty decent. now idk what to do. Should i just get syracuse and apply a darker powder to avoid the ghostly face with flash?? or should i just stick with my Tahoe?? which i think it tends to look kind of orange...

How long did you wear Syracuse? Do your foundations oxidize on you? Because I was thinking maybe it'll settle and get darker as the day goes on? What did you apply it with? Maybe the beauty blender or a damp brush would sheer it out a bit and not give you so much of a mask-like look? How much coverage did you apply? Maybe a lighter application would be better? Just brainstorming here, asking questions I ask myself when I wear a foundation to figure out how it can work for me if it's not working. This happened to me with Macao and New Guinea. Macao was too light, but I'm still thinking I applied too much. New Guinea was a little too red, and although not too much darker than my skintone I was afraid it would oxidize during the day and get darker so I returned that one as well.

Also, I've noticed that sometimes I think a foundation is not my shade, but when I apply a full face ( I mean not a FULL face, but just do say my regular morning routine), I like it better, you know?

So I say all of that to say just ask those questions of yourself, maybe the answer will come to you. Also if you still have them, maybe apply lighter coverage and use them the entire day and see what happens. I guess a day when you're mostly in the house and not outside?

In the end though, if you feel that neither one is right for you, you may have to cal it a wash. I know it was hard for me when I saw that Macao was too light becuse I wanted to LOVE this foundation soooo badly! I'm gonna give it one more shot when the weather cools off, but if I can't get macao to work, I'll just have to give up the ghost.

For the record I thought Tahoe looked better on you. Sorry for the ramble. Hope it was a little helpful.

luvlydee

How long did you wear Syracuse? Do your foundations oxidize on you? Because I was thinking maybe it'll settle and get darker as the day goes on? What did you apply it with? Maybe the beauty blender or a damp brush would sheer it out a bit and not give you so much of a mask-like look? How much coverage did you apply? Maybe a lighter application would be better? Just brainstorming here, asking questions I ask myself when I wear a foundation to figure out how it can work for me if it's not working. This happened to me with Macao and New Guinea. Macao was too light, but I'm still thinking I applied too much. New Guinea was a little too red, and although not too much darker than my skintone I was afraid it would oxidize during the day and get darker so I returned that one as well.

Also, I've noticed that sometimes I think a foundation is not my shade, but when I apply a full face ( I mean not a FULL face, but just do say my regular morning routine), I like it better, you know?

So I say all of that to say just ask those questions of yourself, maybe the answer will come to you. Also if you still have them, maybe apply lighter coverage and use them the entire day and see what happens. I guess a day when you're mostly in the house and not outside?

In the end though, if you feel that neither one is right for you, you may have to cal it a wash. I know it was hard for me when I saw that Macao was too light becuse I wanted to LOVE this foundation soooo badly! I'm gonna give it one more shot when the weather cools off, but if I can't get macao to work, I'll just have to give up the ghost.

For the record I thought Tahoe looked better on you. Sorry for the ramble. Hope it was a little helpful.
lmao dont worry. i like rambles. I took it off like immediately after cuz i was like i dont want to seem like one of those people that swear theyre lighter than they are. But i did do a heavy coverage actually. I didnt use a beauty blendr or anything like that, I was going to try that out with tahoe. Maybe ill try that out tomorrow with tahoe. I no longer have syracuse but I want to try it using a light application now.

GoldenGirl

Yeah, sometimes it takes a few tries to figure out how to best apply a new foundation, and I personally had never use a cream foundation before so I'm sure my application could have used some tweaking.

So yeah, try Tahoe with a beauty blender or brush and do your regular day face, leave it on for a few hours and see how you feel. If you're like UGH, then try the same thing with Syracuse and see if you like that one better. I also take lots of pictures, in all kinds of lighting. I feel like such a fool sometimes taking selfies in the middle of a crowded NYC street looking all vain, but I'm just checkin the foundation in different lights.
th_wink3.gif

Ingenue

She literally had poured some in a cup a put the brushes in it for 15 min. She said thats what the isntructions said lol idk the deal. Lol i also like that i can back to mac the bottle when im done.
Whoooooooooooo I never heard of that. I'd never let any of my brushes soak that long... in anything.

Ingenue

I love the finish on your skin! But I see what you mean about it being too light. It's got a 'pinkish' hue to it under flash.

luvlydee

I love the finish on your skin! But I see what you mean about it being too light. It's got a 'pinkish' hue to it under flash.
Yes the finish is awesome. Btw i tried my tahoe with the beauty blender and it made it kinda clumpy looking on my skin. Idk it wasnt as flawless as when i did it with a brush. So i think im just going to keep using the brush and just make sure i dont usd too much of the foundation. Im scared to try syracuse again though so ill just stick to my tahoe lol

Latest posts