Need advice: Unable to attend friend's wedding..

xmizlynnax

Hey everyone! I hope you don't mind me asking for advice.. You see my friend's wedding is coming up and I have to RSVP soon. I can't go because I can't afford it.. I can't get her a proper gift or anything else or attend her bridal shower. I would love to and I feel like crap for having to miss out but I just can't swing it because I'm low on cash these days trying to finish up my degree and looking for a new job. Anybody have any advice on how I tell her I can't go.. how I would explain this? Do I need to explain this? Any thoughts would be great.. Thank you in advance.

pink_lily82

If you are close with your friend, you can explain your situation to her and why you can't go. If she is a true friend, she will understand. If you aren't very close with her, let her know you can't make it and send a card congratulating them on their marriage. A homemade gift is usually not very expensive and is greatly appreciated, I think. I've made scrapbooks of favorites memories with pictures, goody baskets, etc... Most people are usually surprised that I took the time and effort. Like I said, good friends will understand that you're in a difficult financial situation, especially in today's economy. Tell her that you're very sorry and that you would have loved to be there but unfortunately, you are on a tight budget and can't afford to go. Friends who stick around during difficult times are the ones worth hanging on to. Good luck.

ForgetRegret

Personally, I think it would depend on how close the two of you are. If you're not close friends, just RSVP that you can't attend, no explanation needed. If you're good friends, you can RSVP that you can't attend, but give her a call and let her know the situation, and you're sorry you can't make it. I'm sure she'll understand the lack of funds, with the way the economy is lately...and she may very well tell you to shut up and bring your a** to the wedding anyway.

xmizlynnax

She and I are good friends, not besties, but very good friends. I think I may give her a call and just cheerfully explain the situation to her. The idea about a homemade gift is intriguing.. I actually though about that a couple of days ago but wasn't sure if that was appropriate, maybe I'll reconsider

I appreciate your advice so far guys, Thanks!

ForgetRegret

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmizlynnax
She and I are good friends, not besties, but very good friends. I think I may give her a call and just cheerfully explain the situation to her. The idea about a homemade gift is intriguing.. I actually though about that a couple of days ago but wasn't sure if that was appropriate, maybe I'll reconsider

I appreciate your advice so far guys, Thanks!

It definitely would be appropriate to make a homemade gift...it does show some thought and effort was put into it. My mother used to make wedding bears for her friends...she'd buy poseable bears at the craft store, with little wicker chairs to put them in, she'd get a little tux and top hat for the boy bear, and a dress for the girl, with some little rhinestones for earrings. Then she'd just get some of those plastic flowers to decorate the chairs, usually in the wedding color(s), and everyone LOVED them. GL!

Latest posts