Need Coworker Advice Please- Major Bitch Alert

GalleyGirl

Hi everyone, I have a a huge problem with an evil coworker. Here is whats happening-
This particular coworker of mine is a very bitter woman. She is 37 and her position title here has "assistant" in front of it. I am 26, and my title doesn't. Recently we have had a few reports done here by an independant source, which lists the members of the company they interviewed, and their names and titles. She is purposefully going back and editing these reports, and inserting "assistant" in front of my title. I complained to my boss the first time, and she took it out immediately, but didn't say anything to the coworker. Well, it happened a second time without my knowing it, and my boss took it out again without telling me or talking to this coworker. (I only found out it happened because I saw the track changes on the document) I am majorly pissed at this coworker.

Today I brought it up to my boss, and my boss thinks it is just an honest mistake. I know it can't be, because whenever I send out e-mail, I have my name and title in my signature - believe me, she knows what the correct version is. And my other coworker and I have had problems with this girl for a very long time. Anything we do is awful, anything we make is ugly, we are inept, etc., etc. And in the meantime, all this particular coworker does is look at knitting blogs all day long on her computer, and never completes an assignment on time.

At the end of the day, I know this girl is just a miserable person - she's almost 40, she's still in an entry level job, she lives at home with her mom, and she has a boyfriend, but he doesn't want her to move in with him. Despite all this though, I can't feel sorry for her, and she seriously makes me want to find another job everytime she does something like this (my company only has 4 employees, so I have to deal with her a lot every day).
Any advice? What can I do about this repeated "assistant" thing? I already talked to my boss a little bit, should I tell her myself, or should I just pretend it doesn't bother me? Thanks for listening.

MiCHiE

If it happens again, I would kindly remind her and let the boss know that 1) she was "honestly mistaken" again and 2) "I corrected her, for future reference" just so she doesn't run to him claiming harassment. You know the saying, "One time-shame on you, two times-shame on me"? Teach it to her. If it gets ugly, you both need to have your manager mediate.

CaraAmericana

HI, I don't have an advice to offer you because I am having problems with a coworker of mine, just a little reversed. I have a powertripped Lead (sorta superviser but not). And no matter how many times I go to the manager about it I am told that my approach needs to change. So I just throw my hands up in the air now and let it roll down my back. Hope it improves for you ( and me). = )

Beauty Mark

Your boss needs to step in if this woman is really that critical of you. She's not healthy to be around.

Just because she has a sucky life doesn't mean she needs to bring every down around you. For the time being, I would try being nice but firm when she does these things and see what happens.

macslut

Sounds to me like she is trying to falsify records. Keep track of what is going on and report it to someone higher than your manager.

little teaser

i would def have a talk with your coworker, be polite and say something along the lines as i notice that you put assistant under my name and thats not correct and tell her the way its suppose to go and if from there the problem doesnt stop then i would do what macslut mention.. maybe she doesnt realize she is doing something wrong or if she does maybe she thinks you havent notice since it hasnt been brought up. good luck

Hilly

i would kindly confront her...if your boss sees youve resolved it on your own,...it will look great!

makeupgal

I am going to be 39 years old at the end of this month and I have had quite a few jobs and I can honestly tell you....no matter WHERE you work, there is ALWAYS ONE ASSHOLE!!!! It never fails. Always one miserable person that wants to make her/himself feel better by doing things like this because if he/she is miserable, everyone else better be. It's the way of the world. I would very nicely tell her that you noticed she has been putting the word assistant in front of your title and the correct title should be such and such. Do it via e-mail (in a very professional and non-confrontational manner) and copy your boss so everyone now has it in writing. Now if it happens again, your boss will know that she is doing it intentionally. Hope this helps.