Need Help with Foundation for NC45 Oily Skin

tabou82

Hey Ladies! I've been having a few problems with my foundation lately. I'm not sure if it's due to the current seasonal changes but my skin in now super oily and the Bare Escentuals/ i.d. Bare Minerals
has NOT been working. I changed from Prescriptives Virtual Matte (I'd still get a little oily plus I'd encountered break-outs) to B.E. per my dermatologist's recommendation and it was good at first but I'd still become "shiny" and "dirty-looking". Because I regularly visit my Derm, I don't have a huge problem with acne just minor breakouts but my skin is oily. I've worn MAC in the past and had a problem with skin matching (I'd look dead :-() but I'm willing to give MAC or another brand another try. I also use a Laura Mercier Oil-Free Foundation Primer and I have MAC's Matte, which I'll alternate usage. Prescriptives is expensive so I'd like to hear about more reasonable alternatives if anyone has any suggestions. I'm trying to achieve a very smooth, matte and airbrushed like look if possible. Thanks Ladies!

Kaycee37

Hey!
Oily skin is the pitts.....
ssad.gif

But we will look younger longer..so theres that!!!!
th_LMAO.gif

Okay here are some of the foundations that work for me and I'm super oily!!!
Mac Studio Fix Fluid
Iman stick foundation
Makeup forever Mat-velvet
These tend to work the best for me.
I also use;
Mac Blot powder loose & pressed
Makeup forever Mat-loose powder

I have tried the Matte gel by Mac and the Laura Mercier primer.
The gel got weird after awhile...almost rubbery
The Laura Mercier primer resulted in a oil slick down my face.
So I added those items to my kit rather than use myself.
I hope this helps....
th_DANCE.gif

tabou82

Kaycee37, thanks so much for the reply!

I went into Sephora the other day and I was checking out some MUFE shadows but I didn't even glance at the foundations.
ssad.gif
But I will check out MUFE Mat-velvet before MAC just to see if it will work for me.

I do love the theory behind facial primers but I'm losing faith that I'll find compatible with oily skin. I think I'm going to check out Photofinish Lite by Smashbox before I completely give up hope.

Again, thanks so much!

blazeno.8

I don't actually use a professional primer for my makeup I just use Aveeno's Ultra Calming Daily Moisturizer. It has sun protection and is oil free.

makeba

i have oily skin and have found that puting on aloe vera gel after i wash my face has worked wonder for my skin. i then put on prep and prime face cream by MAc and then my foundation and it has worked. oil does rise to the top but no where near like before. hth

MAC_Pixie04

Bare escentuals+Oily Skin=Mess

Even though it's a powder, there are no oil absorbing properties in it, with the exception of the mineral veil powder.

I have oily skin and I've settled down with Sue Devitt Triple-C Gel foundation (Summer Monsoon would probably work for you) in Kimberley Plateau, and it's amazing! It's 70% water, so it keeps my face hydrated without making it oily. I set it with MUFE Super Mat loose powder which is phenominal.

You should try Smashbox Photofinish LIGHT foundation primer, it's 60% water, oil free and oil absorbing for oily/acne prone skin types.

I don't recommend that you try any kind of stick, sticks are usually comprised of waxes and oils so that they don't dry up and crumble when you're applying them to the face. A lot of powders, regardless of being powders, are not oil free. Studio Fix is a prime example, so stick to an oil free, light textured liquid.

tabou82

Thanks all for the suggestions!

MacPixie_04: Is the Sue Devitt Triple C Gel a foundation or is it more like a Primer. Basically, could I wear it alone or do I have to layer it over another foundation??? I'm not good with foundations so don't laugh too hard at me! Also, when choosing the MUFE Super Mat Loose Powder should I get a color to match my skintone or due the translucent "universal" shade? I just don't want to be look tanned or dark-faced (sp?)! A Prescriptives MA once told me to always buy my pressed powder a shade lighter than my foundation in order not to become "darker" throughout the day as the foundation oxidizes. Will this hold true for loose powder?

MACaholic76

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabou82
Hey Ladies! I've been having a few problems with my foundation lately. I'm not sure if it's due to the current seasonal changes but my skin in now super oily and the Bare Escentuals/ i.d. Bare Minerals
has NOT been working. I changed from Prescriptives Virtual Matte (I'd still get a little oily plus I'd encountered break-outs) to B.E. per my dermatologist's recommendation and it was good at first but I'd still become "shiny" and "dirty-looking". Because I regularly visit my Derm, I don't have a huge problem with acne just minor breakouts but my skin is oily. I've worn MAC in the past and had a problem with skin matching (I'd look dead :-() but I'm willing to give MAC or another brand another try. I also use a Laura Mercier Oil-Free Foundation Primer and I have MAC's Matte, which I'll alternate usage. Prescriptives is expensive so I'd like to hear about more reasonable alternatives if anyone has any suggestions. I'm trying to achieve a very smooth, matte and airbrushed like look if possible. Thanks Ladies!

I have the same skintone as you and my favorite foundation is studio fix. I've never experienced any breakouts from this.
My skin is slightly dry though and I've found SFF to be really good if you have oily skin. I have to moisturize a LOT to get away with wearing this. Now, our shade, NC45, will look very very yellow and golden, but still workable.
The MUFE Mat Velvet+ I found to be very thick and drying on me. I've seen other FOTDs on other boards with this and they all look flawless and amazing! But, no exact match for our skintone. #70 (caramel) was the closest.

Now my question to you is what shade were you in the Px Virtual Matte? I was thinking about giving it a try. Thanks and good luck!

tinkerbellz

I have the same problem and started using studio fix fluid after being recommended it by a Mac MA. However, I wasn't able to find the exact match for my skin either and now end up mixing NC25 & NC30. If you top it off with blotting powder it stays well and looks airbrushed. I also keep blotting sheets with me too and touch up with those once or twice a day.

tabou82

MACaholic76, in PX Virtual Matte I am Fresh Antelope 09 which is in the Yellow/Orange family and a Level 4 in the corresponding pressed powder.

Today, I went to Sephora and rec'd a sample of the MUFE Matt Velvet in #70 so I will try it and see how it works. If I don't like it, I will go to MAC and get the SFF. What colors would you recommend mixing or rather should I mix up a color or down a color????

Thanks all for your rec's! Muah!!!

MACaholic76

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabou82
MACaholic76, in PX Virtual Matte I am Fresh Antelope 09 which is in the Yellow/Orange family and a Level 4 in the corresponding pressed powder.

Today, I went to Sephora and rec'd a sample of the MUFE Matt Velvet in #70 so I will try it and see how it works. If I don't like it, I will go to MAC and get the SFF. What colors would you recommend mixing or rather should I mix up a color or down a color????

Thanks all for your rec's! Muah!!!

Hey!
Thanks for the info.
Actually, I dont mix the SFF with any other shades because the others are too much to the extreme. I found NC44 to be pinkish and very light on me, while NC50 was waaaaaaaaay too dark. Then NW40 was too peachy. NW43 *might* work mixed with the NC45 but I haven't tried it.
I actually realized today that this foundation makes me look too dry and dead but thats because I'm more on the slightly dry side. Select SPF is much better on my skin actually.
Do you swap?