Need some help with my new evening job...

X4biddenxLustX

Times are really hard right now, no matter where you're at.

Considering there are 30 people covering one area, that's a lot of sellers in one spot. Have you thought about maybe expanding to the next closest town/neighborhood/area if its not too far from you?

When I was in elementary school a student at my school had a mom who was an Avon lady. I would always get ads from just HER. It's as if she owned the Avon turf there, so yeah it's pretty hard for others to get in.

In your advertisements have you mentioned anything about winning prizes? Like if you had certain items that you could spare you could maybe use that as a prize to lure some customers in. Now I'm not too familiar with the company your working for but maybe you could also make it like a ladies night in instead of out where besides just trying to show and sell your merchandise, they could do facials and nails? That would def seem fun for me.

As for your boss, sorry but she sounds like a bitch. Yeah I know that the economy is bad and businesses are trying to get as much business as they still possibly can. But there are some things that are totally out of your control. Like you can't help that there are so many other sellers selling in the same area as you, you can't help that your friends and family don't really have the money at this time to help you out. It sucks but with the way things are going these days, it's really hard for everyone.

I had thought about selling Avon or Mark products but decided against it cause I just don't have the time and energy and resources for it. Plus where I live there isn't as much of a demand for their product as there is for stuff like Dior, Chanel (I'm a poor girl living in a richer area).

Septemba

th_hug.gif

It sounds like an incredibly stressful situation you're in, and it sounds like you are very under appreciated at your job.

Is the only think stopping you from leaving you having to give all the stuff back? Because it sounds like putting such strain on yourself and your friendships isn't healthy for you at all.

I would personally start looking for another job and attending interviews so by the time you really reach the point where it can't go on anymore, you can make the transition smoothly.

It's easier said than done sometimes, but you deserve to be happy and appreciated at your job, school is stressful enough!

Kayteuk

Yeah I have a interview for 2 jobs next week which I cannot WAIT for.

I do offer games with expensive prizes, and also the person hosting gets 30% off and a free gift...The normal jargon is this:

"Offer VIP 30% off voucher to anyone who books on a certain day i.e. if you want Monday - Thursday parties
Or offer free gift for certain days (booking calendar). Gifts can be small items from catalogue, wine, chocolates, discounts, old hostess gifts etc.
Offer free gift for bookings within 6 weeks
*** only give gifts and discounts on the night they hold thier party so they are less likely to cancel***"

Its just getting silly, another girl on facebook contacted me whos going through the same thing.

X4biddenxLustX

Sounds like your not alone in this situation hun! Booking these kind of sales events can be really difficult. Cause there are only so many people you could host events with.

I went to a Partylite candle party at my friend's house, her aunt had hosted it. They made a requirement that everyone at the party (minus me cause they knew I'm not a candle person and had nooo money. I was just invited over to hang out and eat haha.) at least buy something from the Partylite lady. She had mentioned how that it isn't easy booking events and then having to travel out to people's homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septemba
th_hug.gif

It sounds like an incredibly stressful situation you're in, and it sounds like you are very under appreciated at your job.

Is the only think stopping you from leaving you having to give all the stuff back? Because it sounds like putting such strain on yourself and your friendships isn't healthy for you at all.

I would personally start looking for another job and attending interviews so by the time you really reach the point where it can't go on anymore, you can make the transition smoothly.

It's easier said than done sometimes, but you deserve to be happy and appreciated at your job, school is stressful enough!

I agree with Septemba that if this is really causing you a lot of trouble finding another job maybe good. Plus it would probably be more stable too than having to wait around for customers to book parties with you.

So I'm glad you've got some interviews lined up!

User93

Hang on there girl! I can imagine how stressful it is, but every time you feel down think that you need money, and this job just provides it
smiles.gif
Money = plane ticket to boyfriend, remember?
winks.gif
Like Septemba said, start looking for something new and less stressful, but well, part time job is always hard to get! So just try to get the best from this one for now. Hugs to you
th_hug.gif

anita22

What about approaching people in the bridal industry to get them to refer new customers to you for a fee? I don't know much about Ann Summers, but I think it would be fun to incorporate a party into a hen's night or something.

Kayteuk

Yeah I have tried to do a few hen parties recently, its been really problematic just to try to convince them when everyone is cutting back
ssad.gif

anita22

^ It sounds like you are being pressured unfairly. If you are placing more orders than other reps and promoting every which way you can think of (which it sounds like you are already doing) then she seems to just be picking on you for some reason or another. Maybe she is under pressure to meet a certain sales goal for the region, and just taking it out on you for some reason.

To me, the options seem to be:

1) Say nothing & she will likely continue the same behaviour.. not fun.

2) Approach her directly about it. Personally I am a serious avoider of conflict and would try and phrase it in a positive way. Maybe explain what you are doing to achieve your sales targets & say that you need some positive support & encouragement from her. Say you notice she gives positive reinforcement to others and you are concerned she's not happy with your performance, based on the feedback (or lack of it) that you have been getting. Ask if that's the case? If she's not happy with your performance then can she provide some guidance regarding what specifically you could be doing better (because it sounds like you're doing everything!)? Perhaps she can coach you on sales techniques, or help you find examples of promotional tactics that have worked well for others in your team. If she is even a half decent manager she will respond to that - if not then you are wasting your time anyway so I would go for Option 3.

3) Leave. It's not worth staying somewhere that makes you unhappy. You seem pretty smart (med student!), I'm sure there are other opportunities for you out there.

user79

These kinds of jobs are very stressful with very little payoff. I'd honestly just try to switch jobs and get the hell out.

Kayteuk

Well I have thought it over and another girl is having the same problem as I am, so we are going to team up for a few months until we have reaced a target and then quit so we have made a bit of money out of it.

It is kinda stressfull and a lot of people have had loads of sucess with it, but its just not for me and my boss is just weird....

I think the reason my boss is sucessfull is she gets all the direct bookings for our area from the websites, and also has a advert in the yellow pages... Which costs far to much for me to even concider.

I cant wait for my next job interview so I can have a better excuse to leave, and I am moving to the USA anyway so its not like it was a long term plan and she knows this.

Latest posts