Need some MAC lipstick recommendations, please!

iheartjuppy

I'm trying to find shades similar to ones I love - but I went by MAC's site and sorted by Color Spectrum (which is a joke) - it said that a gold, a pink, a clear, and an almost black are "similar", since they're "next to each other" on their whacked out version of a spectrum!!
smiles.gif

My absolute favorites are Hug Me, Sophisto , Eden Rocks & VGV - I'm looking for similar (deeper, lighter, sheerer, more opaque, sparkly, whatever...just not matte) shades that would be flattering on me.

Here's a list of the lipsticks I own, to give you some idea of what I've tried and why they didn't work (PS If you have suggestions for making these colors "work" - different liner/gloss/whatever, I'm all ears!!)

Ok, the list:

Capricious - didn't work, though was told it's "close"
O - a little too deep for me

Orchidstrate - just didn't work on me
Sequin - ditto
Velvet Teddy - ditto
Lustrous Mauve - ditto
Modum - ditto

Odyssey - WAY too deep for me!
Amorous - ditto

Midimauve - like it, would love it with a little shimmer, and a little sheerer
Twig - same wishes as Midimauve
Feelright - ditto

Gel - makes me a bit pasty
Retrodaze - ditto
Kooky - ditto

Play It Soft - a little too Barbie on me
B Cup - ditto
Petal Lure - ditto

Sandy B - goes a little orange on me
Ramblin' Rose - ditto
Half n Half - ditto

Del Rio - turns orange on me

Gigglefest - too orange but I love it anyways
Delish - ditto, but I love it under Varneesh!

//edit: moved to recommendations - mod
greengrin.gif

iheartjuppy

Thank you for moving this! Right after I hit "post" I realized it should have been in this forum...sorry about that!

mac_obsession

I dont really wear lipstick, I have a few that have come out recently but Im more of a gloss girl.
Im sure someone else here will be able to help you more than I can
smiles.gif

Im not sure if you're a lg lover or just a ls lover, so my suggestion is lipglass or lustreglass. If you dont want sparkle or shine or a little depth try lipglass over the colors that you dont like..They can tone them down or play them up depending on which lg you use...
I cant really give you suggestions cause I dont think I have a lot of those colors unless they are in palettes and then I probably havent used them yet. So I think maybe a lustregloss like luminary might do the job, or instant gold...

hth.
smiles.gif

legaleagle

What...

What about 3-D? It is a rosy color with a little bit of peach and violet opalescence to it. I wear it a lot, and "O" is too cool for me.

iheartjuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouquinne
Indie Girl if you can still find it!

I liked the color of Indie Girl but HATED the texture! It felt like sandpaper on my lips!
ssad.gif

I'm definitely interested in trying 3-D, I just worry it might "turn orange" on me, as MANY seem to!

I love the lipglasses & lustreglasses and definitely use them to modify lipsticks that don't *quite* work for me, but I'm really looking for lipsticks I can just throw in my purse and re-apply throughout the day without too much fuss (liner, gloss, whatever).

CWHF

I think I replied to you on MUA, LOL.

The only lipstick texture of MAC's I wear anymore is Lustre. It's not drying and very much MLBB lips, no liner required.

My favorites: Honeyflower (it doesn't go orange on me in the least), VGV, Pink Apertif (sadly LE but you might still be able to find it-from this year's D'Bohemia collection I think), Polished up.

As far as saving lipsticks---I have a few colors (Taupe, Twig, Cherish) that too cool to be really flattering. I doctor them with hodgepodge liner (to minimize pink contribution from my lips) and top with spring bean lustreglass (use a separate applicator) and it warms them up and makes them wearable. HTH

rouquinne

i don't really like the texture of Indie Girl myself, but the colour is soooo nice on!

greengrin.gif

i'm also a Hug Me, VGV, Eden Rocks kind of girl and absolutely ADORE Frenzy as well!

check it out!