Need to get tested

kaitlynnm

I just found out the guy I've been dating for months was cheating on his girlfriend with me. We had unprotected sex a few times and although this is not the first time I've had unprotected sex, it scares me. Once a cheater, always a cheater. Lord knows who he's been with. Anyway, I saw my OB for a yearly pap a month ago. My insurance sucks and will not cover another visit so soon. But, I do have an appointment with my Internist in 2 weeks. Can a GP/Internist do STD testing? I was laid off from my job months ago and haven't been able to find anything. I'm afraid planned parenthood would charge me a pretty penny for a full panel test. Any words of advice? I don't need more stress right now. Damn men!

Kragey

Planned parenthood usually adjusts their services based on a "sliding scale," so if you were laid off and your insurance sucks, they'll most likely charge you less. Have you tried calling PP?

kaitlynnm

I have not called but I will. I'm so scared right now. I want to know and need to know but... I will look up PP. I'm in NYC so I know there's probably a few to choose from. Thanks.

RandomnessWithK

the internal medicine doctors that i work with usually are able to do/order those blood tests for you, and do pap tests (most don't like to - but they've done them/know how to).. you can also ask your doctor to order a urine chlamydia test just to be sure too..

nursee81

ur primary doctor should be able to test you. Some time at the clinics STD and HIV testing is free call around.

hello_my_apple

Planned Parenthod is usually very good with that, if you tell them you think may have contracted something, they will never deny you testing. I think it's very brave and smart of you to be responsible and it shows you care about your life and your futire partners life. Good Luck to you hun!

Meisje

There are definitely clinics where you can get testing done. I highly recommend Planned Parenthood.

Good luck. I'm sorry this happened! Carry some condoms around with you, that way guys can't use that as an excuse.

marusia

GP's can do it for you, depends on your doc. My doctor would, she's in internal medicine. Another cheap alternative is to go to your health department. Most of the time they are free there.

abbyquack

Go to: itsyoursexlife.com/gyt and you can search for testing centers near you. Like some of the above posters mentioned, usually it's free of charge, so don't let cost deter you from getting tested. It's worth the effort! I went to a HIV testing clinic once and was scared shitless, even though I didn't have a high risk, but I felt so good knowing that I was negative, and that motivated me to make an effort to keep it that way.

BeccalovesMAC

hey honey in ARizona we have a county clinic that does free testing. You should see if they offer this in our city