Neutral Every Day Shadows for Work

GoldenGirl

Hey everyone! I need some great neutral shadows to wear to work, preferably colors that already come packaged together in a palette. I realize for the most part that leaves MAC shadows out, but I'm open to new things. Nothing too glittery. I'm an NC50 for reference. Thanks!

GoldenGirl

Oohh! Nice. And inexpensive, which is even more NICE!!! Thanks! You're quite the helpful one, aren't you?
smiles.gif

GoldenGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Elegant
NARS has some good duos, Stila and CARGO have some nice palettes.

I love the NARS duos, but I'm not sure which ones would work for me. I'll have to check out a few at sephora and see. I have Taj Mahal blush and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Which shadows would go with it u think?

I'm a bit of a makeup newbie so I'm hoping you guys can help me out so I'm not leaving the house looking like a clown!
tong.gif

foomph

There are some nice MAC neutrals too-you could buy four and put them in a quad. My faves are:
-handwritten (matte 2)
-shroom
-era
-omega (matte 2)

thelove4tequila

MAC

Ricepaper
Arena
Cork

Why not try that bridal/neutral palette from Costalscents? I personally have never tried it but everyone is raving about those. I think its like $20 for a nice sized palette.

argyle_socks

Pop beauty has some nice palattes that are more neutral. They do have some funky colors too, though.
MOst of the wallet palattes are pretty neutral, as well as the lid bronzer and a couple of the Eye Cakes.
I have the lid bronzer and I love it.
Smashbox has some nice colors as well.
greengrin.gif

Enthused

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyphonicLove
why not covergirl? their 3 top neutral trios are cafe au lait, shimmering sands, and golden sunset.

check them out here.

I used to use the Golden Sunsets one all the time, The colors are quite nice.
Not sure if they'd be too sparkly, but I use MAC All that glitters and Woodwinked for everyday now.

GoldenGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthused
I used to use the Golden Sunsets one all the time, The colors are quite nice.
Not sure if they'd be too sparkly, but I use MAC All that glitters and Woodwinked for everyday now.

How are you applying them? I think I can make those work...

Enthused

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenGirl
How are you applying them? I think I can make those work...

The covergirl eyeshadows? I used to just use the little sponge that it came with, with a base underneath. This was before I was really into makeup, but it would last all day at school with no creasing.
smiles.gif

GoldenGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthused
The covergirl eyeshadows? I used to just use the little sponge that it came with, with a base underneath. This was before I was really into makeup, but it would last all day at school with no creasing.
smiles.gif

No, no, I meant all that glitters and woodwinked. I think what I'm asking is where do you put which color. I'm still in the "which color goes in the crease" mode. When I say I'm a makeup newbie I ain't lying!
smiles.gif

GoldenGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyphonicLove
I'm actually getting shimmering sands and golden sunset solely for school use! I love sleeping in, so they'd be convenient, haha. I found two quads by CG I love as well, in coffee shop and country woods.

I also found another trio by maybelline, in bronze glitz...the other trio shades look absolutely horrendous, IMO. luckily for me, I found two quads in enchanted forest and chai latte.. HOTNESS.

they're all so cute...neutral overload, anyone?

Oh! Those last two tell you where to put which color. Almost fool-proof which is exactly what I need. I'll check those out today!

PolyphonicLove

yes, they are very "newb friendly"! I still haven't found a palette where their darkest colour is actually dark enough for my crease or outer v [dark browns usually equal = death on me], so they're looking pretty rad right about now [so is the revlon one, mm].

daniellefc

Have you ever tried any Sephora Brand eyeshadows? I'm asking because I have the KatVonD palette in Ludwig and there are some really nice neutrals in that one. Check out Sephoras website for the picture. There are 2 matte colors black and brown, and then there are shimmery browns and beiges and also a couple of greens.

feenin4makeup

I'm not sure how well these would work for you since my skin is much lighter (NC 20) but I use Satin Taupe and Woodwinked often for a work look. I realize that's not a palette but you could possibly make one? I also recently purchased the Coastal Scents 88 Shimmer Palette and although there are a lot of bright colors, there are many neutral colors that would be work friendly. I think with shipping and everything, I paid around $26...less than $30. Good Luck in your search!

GoldenGirl

U guys have given such awesome suggestions. I didn't know what to do and now I have like a million and one options. I can already see the money fly fly flying away from my wallet messing around with you guys on this board! Thanks!
smiles.gif

kimmy

my favourite neutral look for work is as follows:

mac vanilla e/s on the lid, mac cork e/s in the crease, mac ground brown e/s to deepen the crease, mac dazzlelight e/s as a brow highlight, mac coffee e/l to tightline and a few coats of mac brownette plushlash.

which ends up being pretty similar to this mac facechart. there's a pretty nice electro flash facechart that i think would be good for you, too, based on your skintone.

milani has some wonderful quads and palettes, as well. seems to me that the quads might be better than the runway eyes sets just because they're alot more simple.
Milani Cosmetics - quads
Milani Cosmetics - runway eyes

nyx has got some pretty sweet ass eyeshadow trios, and for cheap, too! the sahara/suede/chocolate trio is really pretty!
NYX Cosmetics: Simple Life, Simple Cosmetics - eyeshadow trios