New flat iron = straighter hair?

s0xjuicy

So I posted a thread earlier asking if a better flat iron will help your hair stay straighter during humid/moisture, and I recently got a new better flat iron, and I've noticed that even after I shower and wash my hair, and my hair is dry, it's significantly straighter than it was before I started using my new flat iron, and this is even before I've straightened my hair. My hair was naturally wavy/curly-ish and thick [but I got a haircut earlier and had my hair thinned out], but now it's pretty straight, that all I need to do is straighten a couple of kinks out.

Has anyone noticed this themselves before?

xsnowwhite

I definitely have! I think the type of flatiron can make such a huge difference. With my old flatiron my hair would get all wavy during the day but now it stays straight over night!

HeavenLeiBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0xjuicy
So I posted a thread earlier asking if a better flat iron will help your hair stay straighter during humid/moisture, and I recently got a new better flat iron, and I've noticed that even after I shower and wash my hair, and my hair is dry, it's significantly straighter than it was before I started using my new flat iron, and this is even before I've straightened my hair. My hair was naturally wavy/curly-ish and thick [but I got a haircut earlier and had my hair thinned out], but now it's pretty straight, that all I need to do is straighten a couple of kinks out.

Has anyone noticed this themselves before?

I don't wanna alarm you, but to me, it sounds like you may have heat damage, especially if your hair is straighter before you even pass over it with the flat iron. Some people refer to this as "training" the hair, aka permanently coaxing away the curl pattern. If after you wash and condition your hair, and the curl pattern your are used to doesn't "snap back", you have heat damage. For some people, this result is desirable but in the long run, it's bad for your hair. Just needed to put that out there, as an FYI.

COBI

Good point, HeavenLeiBlue.

s0xjuicy, be sure to use a heat-protectant product if you aren't already.

s0xjuicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenLeiBlu
I don't wanna alarm you, but to me, it sounds like you may have heat damage, especially if your hair is straighter before you even pass over it with the flat iron. Some people refer to this as "training" the hair, aka permanently coaxing away the curl pattern. If after you wash and condition your hair, and the curl pattern your are used to doesn't "snap back", you have heat damage. For some people, this result is desirable but in the long run, it's bad for your hair. Just needed to put that out there, as an FYI.

Wow, thanks for that, I never knew. I definitely always use a heat protectant before I blow dry or straighten my hair, is there anything else I can do? tia

Simply Elegant

Use a really good conditioner and deep condition every once in a while. I use Dove and olive oil and my hair stays healthy. Also try to let your hair go a day in between straightening it. Since your flat iron is good your hair will probably be able to stay almost straight overnight.

COBI

Also, to minimize the risk of heat damage, be sure to use the heat setting appropriate for your hair type. The flat iron should come with some basic guidelines on this.

This is something that in all honesty I preach, but don't practice. My hair is thin and dense (thin shaft but lots of hair), and I use the higher heat setting which I am not supposed to (and don't need to but old habits...) However, my hair is also fairly straight, and I only use it for quick smoothing. When you say your hair is "thicK", do you mean the shaft itself or the amount of hair or both?

If you can at all avoid it, try not to straighten it all the time. Even a day off here and there will help your hair recover and/or stay healthier.

s0xjuicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBI
Also, to minimize the risk of heat damage, be sure to use the heat setting appropriate for your hair type. The flat iron should come with some basic guidelines on this.

This is something that in all honesty I preach, but don't practice. My hair is thin and dense (thin shaft but lots of hair), and I use the higher heat setting which I am not supposed to (and don't need to but old habits...) However, my hair is also fairly straight, and I only use it for quick smoothing. When you say your hair is "thicK", do you mean the shaft itself or the amount of hair or both?

If you can at all avoid it, try not to straighten it all the time. Even a day off here and there will help your hair recover and/or stay healthier.

Well, I use to have thick hair, but I had it thinned out, so it's not as thick anymore, so I mean the amount of hair.

I'm going to try deep conditioning, do you know if my hair will go back to normal?

HeavenLeiBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0xjuicy
Well, I use to have thick hair, but I had it thinned out, so it's not as thick anymore, so I mean the amount of hair.

I'm going to try deep conditioning, do you know if my hair will go back to normal?

It may or it may not. You can't undo the damage, once it's done. If your hair doesn't go back to how it was after a shampoo, deep conditioning and air drying, there's really nothing you can do other than a protein treatment. It won't repair your hair, but it'll leave a layer of protection over it.

s0xjuicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenLeiBlu
It may or it may not. You can't undo the damage, once it's done. If your hair doesn't go back to how it was after a shampoo, deep conditioning and air drying, there's really nothing you can do other than a protein treatment. It won't repair your hair, but it'll leave a layer of protection over it.

Great, thanks a lot guys :)