New Hire -- New to cosmetics, too! Terrified.

MellissaG

Alright, so Ive decided over the past two years I want to pursue a (probably) temporary career in cosmetics. I've done a lot of free lance work for theatre, short films, commercials, professional photoshoots...with really nothing too exciting to show for it. I currently work in fashion retail -- but I wanted to jump into a more professional atmosphere of cosmetics, so I applied for a line at Sears.

After a couple of months of being VERY persistant, thankfully with the help of one of the managers really liking me and my work ethic when she came in to the store I work at, and served her as a customer -- Ive gone through two face-to-face interviews, and my phone interview is on tuesday.

Ive been reading this forum a bit to try and figure out what to expect, but I'm getting some different answers. What should I expect in a phone interview? What type of questions, and how will they differ from the face-to-face interviews?

Also -- will I have to do a pull before I get officially hired, or is that after im a hire, and is part of my first day/week training?

ALSO, I know that a lot of lines (if not all?) have their own "product school" to teach new hires about the various different products for their employees, but unfortunately the last one they had was a couple months ago, and the next wont be for another little while -- although I have a little more than basic cosmetics training, how important is it to know the specifics of the brand itself while working for them? How long is the grace period to learn these, if their product training is not for another month or two? Any tips on how to overcome this? IE, if a customer asks me the difference between two products and I am unable to give them an answer for some reason -- I may direct them to another counter artist, who will obviously be taking my commission which will be extremely frustrating for me.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
smiles.gif

PS the line I am hired for is estee lauder.
smiles.gif

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellissaG
...how important is it to know the specifics of the brand itself while working for them? How long is the grace period to learn these, if their product training is not for another month or two? Any tips on how to overcome this? IE, if a customer asks me the difference between two products and I am unable to give them an answer for some reason -- I may direct them to another counter artist, who will obviously be taking my commission which will be extremely frustrating for me.

It's important, but if there's a long period of time between update classes, then consider your grace period to be that same amount of time. Be diligent and research, research, research - Make-Up Alley is a particularly invaluable resource when it comes to learning the pros and cons of product lines, as are the various brand websites and beauty blogs. It reflects well on you if you take the effort to gain product knowledge on your own terms rather than waiting for training and update to happen.
If you're unsure of something, call over a co-worker and get a second opinion. It's better to be honest and admit not knowing the exact answer to a question than to lie to a customer and make an unsuitable or dangerous sale.

I don't work on commission beyond having a rewards system in place, so I can't tell you how customer-splitting works in a commission environment. I'm lucky enough to have a group id in place for shared sales (go go team!), so we split the sale and resulting transaction figures evenly.
smiles.gif

MellissaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
It's important, but if there's a long period of time between update classes, then consider your grace period to be that same amount of time. Be diligent and research, research, research - Make-Up Alley is a particularly invaluable resource when it comes to learning the pros and cons of product lines, as are the various brand websites and beauty blogs. It reflects well on you if you take the effort to gain product knowledge on your own terms rather than waiting for training and update to happen.
If you're unsure of something, call over a co-worker and get a second opinion. It's better to be honest and admit not knowing the exact answer to a question than to lie to a customer and make an unsuitable or dangerous sale.

I don't work on commission beyond having a rewards system in place, so I can't tell you how customer-splitting works in a commission environment. I'm lucky enough to have a group id in place for shared sales (go go team!), so we split the sale and resulting transaction figures evenly.
smiles.gif

I definetly have been researching the products, specifically the line ill be working under. Although I initially applied for a different line (lancome) because I know their products better, and I even mentioned this... she told me that lancome was only hiring part time, and if I wanted a full time position she'd put me in estee so I agreed, also asking if after my probation I could transfer to a line I prefer. She proceeded to tell me "it wasnt so much the line, than the people I work with" which I don't really understand? How can I sell a line I don't use or have any experience with? LOL. That's why I am concerned, I can read up on the products and memorize what the text says -- but that won't beat USING the products for years (ie, lancome and various other brands I use.) I dont think i've ever used estee specifically.

I did just speak with a friend who is also a cosmetician, and has been supporting me for a year in trying to get a job in cosmetics, she did tell me they'd supply me with a book of the season products, but other than that and the shadowing i'll be doing, I guess i'm on my own to just practice practice practice, and expiriment on friends, etc?

PS, she also told me that I wont have to do a pull... as she didnt have to, nor has she heard of her dep.store (the bay) doing that, (i'll be at sears, though) ... what are the chances? Im just pretty nervous about being put on the spot lol..

lilchocolatema

I can't give too much input on this, but when I worked for S'box, my counter was attached to Lauder's. I learned plenty just from reading the little cheat sheet manuals that were available. Believe me, there are PLENTY of them, booklets, books, manuals, etc. The line basically sells itself, and since you have basic makeup knowledge, you'll be able to sell it well. The skincare is the big thing, as long as you can link all of the products together and make the customer understand the importance, you'll do great. And those old ladies LOVE those 20 dollar lipsticks!!