New Kitten... HELP!

melliquor

I am getting a new kitten in about 2 weeks and I already have 2 female cats, Abby 4 & Molly 2. I really want the transition to go well with the other 2 cats. I am unsure of how to do it or what to do exactly. I know i need to introduce the new cat slowly to get the other cats used to her. I am so excited about getting a new cat but I don't want there to be big problems with the other 2 cats.

Does anybody know what I should do to get them used to each other? Also, I am unsure if I should get a female or male cat. Which do you think is better with 2 grown females?

MzzRach

Couple of questions:

You said your cats are female - have they been spayed?

Have your cats ever been around other cats, if so, how did they behave?

Depending on where you adopt your kitten from, the organization should be able to tell you what kind of environment they recommend for the new kitty. Is this a rescue situation or are you buying from a breeder.

Can you tell I'm a cat lover? ;-)

melliquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzzRach
Couple of questions:

You said your cats are female - have they been spayed?

Have your cats ever been around other cats, if so, how did they behave?

Depending on where you adopt your kitten from, the organization should be able to tell you what kind of environment they recommend for the new kitty. Is this a rescue situation or are you buying from a breeder.

Can you tell I'm a cat lover? ;-)

My cats are indoor cats and don't go around other cats. Both have been spayed when they were 6 mos old. I am getting the kitten from a friend of mine. His 2 cats had them about 6 weeks ago. He is keeping them until they are 8 weeks old and then will let me have one of them. His cats are both friendly and he said the kittens are very friendly.

My 2 cats get along but aren't the best of friends... Abby, the oldest, only tolerates the younger one. I think Molly is lonely and wants another cat to play with. She is always trying to play with Abby but she won't play. Abby doesn't play anymore. She is
about 4yrs and 3-4 mos old.

I am a cat lover as well... I just want to make sure that everything goes smoothly and I don't have 3 cats at war with each other. It wouldn't be fair to my cats that I have now. The youngest one... I rescued from outside. I think she was dumped outside before she was ready. She still has issues of trust. She is just starting to trust us... even after 2 years. She comes on the bed now and lays there for us to pet her... she purrs like crazy... she is the happiest cat you will ever see. All you have to do is look at her and she starts purring. I don't think she will be upset at all... i think she wants another cat to play with. I think the biggest problem will be Abby.

purrtykitty

For sure isolate the kitten from the other two. Separate the kitten in her own room for a couple of days so she can start getting use to her new surroundings. Let the other two sniff at the door. Then, move the kitten to a new room and let the other two in where she was to investigate, while the kitten gets used to another new place. Then, slowly introduce the cats to each other. You might consider letting the younger of the two go first, and then once they are "comfortable" around each other, bring in the older one.

The whole process may take awhile. You might search for Kimmy's thread on getting a new kitten. She just got one not too long ago and went through a similar situation.

MzzRach

Considering the 2 cats you have now - I think you have the best possible outcome with introducing a young kitten as opposed to bringing in an adult cat. They are more likely to take to/accept a kitten faster.

I agree with purrtykitty on the isolation/introduction technique. I am sure there will be a period of adjustment, but in the end things will work out.

melliquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzzRach
Considering the 2 cats you have now - I think you have the best possible outcome with introducing a young kitten as opposed to bringing in an adult cat. They are more likely to take to/accept a kitten faster.

I agree with purrtykitty on the isolation/introduction technique. I am sure there will be a period of adjustment, but in the end things will work out.

Do you think a female or male would be better? Or doesn't it matter?

purrtykitty

I've always had male cats, so I don't really know. If you're getting them fixed, I'm not so sure it will really matter...other than male cats tend to be bigger, but not always. I've got a 20-pound cat and a 10-pound cat - both boys.

I pick by personality, so gender is never an issue for me.

enjoybeingagirl

I'm not an expert on the subject but I will tell you about my experience with adding a new cat to the family:
- I kept her in a separate room for about 1 month while I wasn't home. When I was home I kept her on my lap or I was in the separate room with her. She was from a shelter and was abused so it took a long time for her to trust me.
- In the separate room I had food, water, and a litter box for her so she wouldn't have to encounter my other cat while trying to eat or use the litter.
- After the first month I left the door open to the separate room while I was home. This allowed her to come out on her own terms and also allow my other cat to investigate her scent in the separate room while she was exploring the rest of the house.
- After two 1/2 months I took the litter and food out of the separate room so she would have to stay in the main area.
- I think it took a very long time for my cat to get used to the addition - about 6 months. They still don't get a long very well though.

Good luck! I hope my suggestions will help.

Beauty Mark

Whatever you do, don't do what I did when I got my boys from the shelter. I had to pee really badly, sat down the carrier, and the girl I previously owned emerged. She stuck her face too close to the carrier and got swatted by one of the boys. I think she still resents him.

Beware it won't be hunk-dory ASAP. When I knew that they wouldn't fight and I let them interact, the girl pouted under my bed for about 2 weeks. She also was stressed to the point that she lost her voice. Eventually, she did regain her voice (went to the vet for that) and she warmed up the boys. I think it helped that I spent extra time with her.

kimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrtykitty
You might search for Kimmy's thread on getting a new kitten. She just got one not too long ago and went through a similar situation.

http://specktra.net/f179/bringing-ne...n-home-109888/
winks.gif

midge

When you first get the new kitten, keep her in your/a room for few days. Get two towels, rub them on the cats you already have. and put them in the room with the new kitten. Then take a third towel and rub it on the kitten. Introduce this towel to the other cats. Also, when you spend time with each of the cats, make sure to get their scents on you and let the others smell it. This assures them that you're ok with all of them being there. Hope this helps.
smiles.gif

Latest posts