Mineralize Skinfinish
Mineralize Blush in Love Joy
116 & 182 Brush

What else do I HAVE to get?

panda0410

Mineralise anything needs a 187 brush
winks.gif

miss_primer

I think you should get things that you want to try. Just take your time and pick up things that catch your eye. I just started gettting into MAC in sept 2008. I used bare minerals before that. The Bare Minerals brushes were good enough and now i am slowly picking up MAC brushes that I want. The first thing i tried was a blush and then a lipstick and so forth.

As far as brushes are concerned, I think your or rather my must haves are:

iadoremac

^^^girl i was just about to recommend that. You should get tempting eyeshadow, russian red lipstick and love nectar l/g

agswife

Also a former BE user but wanted something new, that's why I ordered the Mineralize. How are the liquid foundations?

piggles

The foundations aren't really MAC's strong point. Focus on the eyeshadows, lipsticks, glosses, and brushes. The blushes are good too.

The first thing I would do is find a good highlight from their eye shadows.

iadoremac

i recently started using the liquid foundation and i really like it. I have heard rave reviews on the studio sculpt too

MissResha

Quote:
Originally Posted by agswife
I do have a similar brush to the 187 from Prescriptives, so I didn't order that one.

i have that brush too, it is awesome!

daphneM

I think it depends on what you like about makeup. If you're into colors, go for the eyeshadows. I'm new to MAC myself and that's what I focus on; I have pretty good skin so I don't use a lot of foundation, so when I do, I just use cheaper brands. With eyeshadows, there's so many choices, of course, so sometimes it's a lot of work to figure out what you want. The nice thing is different color families have a lot of choices within them! I recommend starting with a few of the Veluxe Pearl finish for shimmer (which are very soft and wearable - not overly sparkly - but still very shimmery) and some Matte2s and Velvets (plush and very subtle pearl, if any) for less shimmery looks (regular old Mattes are okay, but I am in LOVE with the color payoff and finish of the Matte2s).

Are you a gloss or a lipstick girl? Sheer or opaque? If you like gloss, but like it less sticky, try Lustreglasses or Tinted Lip Conditioners - that's what I go for because Lipglass is very sticky and hard for me to tolerate. The regular lipsticks vary in finish, and I haven't tried any yet, because I am in love with Slimshines, which are shiny and moisturizing on the lips, and not too intensely colored; even the darker and redder shades are just the tiniest bit sheer, which I really like.

Good luck and have fun!

Girl, get it ALL!! We eventually end up doing that anyway, LOL. Seriously though...maybe get a few neutral e/s colors (for your comfort zone) and one or 2 bright colors (for those crazy out of the box moments). As far as brushes...I'd start with the ones that you will definately use the most. HTH =)

hawaii02

I'm an eyeshadow fiend. So that is how it started for me. My favorites are neutrals (Satin Taupe, Ricepaper, Woodwinked and Amberlights). Colors that I love are Nocturnelle (deep purple), Coppering, and Knight's Divine are a few off the top of my head.

But as others have said, try everything and see what you like.
smiles.gif

daniellefc

When I started with MAC I got a few lipsticks. Then I picked up a few of the pigments. I would say the pigments are probably what got me hooked. I find that for me they are the most versatile products they make. You can use them for nearly anything. eyeshadows, liners, blush, lip colors, highlighter. I'd definitley say for sure get Vanilla pigment. I seriously use it every single day. lol
Have fun! You'll soon be hooked just like the rest of us. ;]

Enchantedcameo

I started getting MAC products when I was getting married in 2007. But it wasn't until the past 6 months that I really started getting things. I would start out with neutrals if you are not used to using a lot of color. I love their Mineralized Satinfinish Foundation. I got a sample of it about 2 weeks ago and I love it. I wore bare minerals for a few years so I was really picky about liquid foudation. I like the feeling that my skin can breath and the this foundation gave that to me with the even and matte look of a liquid foundation.

laguayaca

ok why has no one mentioned paintpots i love paintpots esp rubenesque i use it for about everything...but i do have a wide selection of colors.

bellagloss

Quote:
Originally Posted by laguayaca
ok why has no one mentioned paintpots i love paintpots esp rubenesque i use it for about everything...but i do have a wide selection of colors.

yes.gif

definitly get a paint pot,best would be in a natural color which suits your skin tone,naturals like Bare Study,Rubenesque,Painterly,Soft Ochre
thmbup.gif

My first l/g was Underage,you can wear that all the time
yes.gif

and then just get a few e/s (light to darker)you like,but some you can wear a lot...

oo and brushes 239,217 and 219

LMD84

when i first got into mac about 4 years ago i started buying the lipglosses - i love the textures of the lustreglass ones and they have really good colour payoff. my rec for that is little vi - a lovely pinky purple.

i then got into eyeshadows and my first two i bought were woodwinked and shroom - a brown and a highlight creamy colour. plus after seeing various make up blogs and sites such as specktra i decided to get a few brighter colours because mac has such a fantastic range of colours and finishes of eyeshadow!

i've always liked pigments though but at first they're a little tricky to work with - but you can create so many things with pigments which is why i love them. good starter ones would be vanilla, pink opal, violet and teal.

as far as blusher goes i have a 6 palette full of blush by mac and i have 2 msf's. and that does me fine. i don't own any face powder or foundation with mac because i like my l'oreal and maybelline ones just fine. and if it aint broke don't fix it right?!

have fun building on your collection.

chickatthegym

As far as brushes go, the 239 and 217 are great for eyes! I really love the 226 for blending but it was a LE and it's very hard to find, so the 222 or 224 are similar.

For colors, it depends on your skintone and what you like. As mentioned above, the neatural colors are great basics so that's a good place to start. Amberlights, woodwinked, tempting, and a good highlighter are great ones you can't go wrong with.

The MSF's are great for highlighting and cheeks. They go on nice and can really complete your look! The Blonde and the Redhead from the BBR collection are really popular and seem to look good on every skintone. I love the blonde one (didn't get the redhead but wish I had). I have 3 MSF's and LOVE them all! Can't wait to get more!

As for foundations, I LOVE the new studio sculpt foudnation applied with a 187 brush. It's great for summer or if you live in humid weather like me! So light and great coverage- looks airbrushed! I just got the studio sculpt concealer and love that too!

If you have oily skin or like a Matte finish- Blot powder is really nice! I wish I would have known about it sooner
smiles.gif
It's like a translucent powder kind of.

chickatthegym

Oh, and I also use the studio fix fluid and powder foundations. Love them! If you have nice skin you don't really need the fluid though because the powder gives great coverage on it's own. I use both because my skin has lots of imperfections
smiles.gif
I've been using the powder foundation for about 3 years now and LOVE it. It comes in a compact with a mirror, and seperate compartment for the sponge and it's handy for touch ups on the go. It gives a great flawless matte look- no shine and lasts
smiles.gif