New To Make Up. Need Your Help!

Stephy

Hey there!

I'm not totally new to make up but new to all the techniques and brands. I've been wearing some stuff (I say stuff because I can't remember brand name) from Walmart. I would like to start buying MAC products. I'd love to know what you girls reccomend and even some color choices I should go with. I'm thinking of doing a one stop shop at the MAC near work and would like to start off with some good products, some must haves. Here are some questions:

What tools (brushes, sharpeners, curlers) do I need right away?
Can you list the products I will need, from foundation to mascara.
What colors for eye shadow, foundation, eye liner, and lipsticks would you reccomend?

Here is a picture of me:
me.jpg

It's not a good picture but here are some basics:
brown hair, bluey green eyes, very fair complexion, chubby face (would like colors/techniques to 'thin' my face).

What tips do you give someone that is 'starting out'?

I should add that I will go up to 200 dollars in price range
smiles.gif

mitsukai

as for foundation, im looovin' studio fix fluid. im pale too and i got nc15, but im tanning a bit so maybe an nw shade. foundation is really tricky, so i'd say go to a MAC counter and have them test you and try a few shades. get samples, wear them around. you can do them w/ sponges, brushes, etc. the MAs will also have good suggestions re: brushes. i love the 239 and 217, the 224 is really popular too (eyeshadow brushes). 187 and 190 seem to be the most popular foundation brushes.

i think you kind of look like me - i have super chubby cheeks and a small chin too hahaha and same complexion/hair/eyes. i love greens like juxt, shimmermoss, turquoisey colors.. also browny bronzes.. woodwinked, antiqued, bronze, maybe coppering? idk about coppering. ive found for my green/blue eyes that i look super hot in green/turquoise or bronze/gold. pinks are good too but a lot of purples make me look like i got punched. i have some pics up at www.crypticblue.net/makeup so you can see what i mean
smiles.gif

for lips.. i LOVE pinks. i have really dark lips naturally.. lovelorn is amazing on me.. lustering is LE i believe but i <3 it. purples dont work on me, corals/peaches do as long as they arent too orange. reds are hit and miss - dubonnet is gorgeous tho. bronze lips are fab as well - try O? i like the chromeglasses too, for lips like mine, give it some shine
smiles.gif

i generally don't wear a lot of black eyeliner and i wouldnt suggest it for you either but thats just my own two cents, a lot of ppl will tell you black e/l is a staple for every look.

mascara is tough, you just gotta go trial and error
smiles.gif
i love maybelline mascaras, but ive never tried the MAC ones so no comment there.

Stephy

Thank you so much for the awsome tips.

I was told to go with purples... but I can totally understand how this would give a 'punched in the eye' looked if done wrong or over board. That'll most likely be a trial and error thing
smiles.gif

I've always gone with bronze colors as well and so I hope to get a good quad of such that I can blend and make unique to me. I was just hoping I was choosing the right colors! Thanks for the reasurance.

I've always done black e/l hms. Do you suggest a different color? I've been told a brown would be better... or just none at all?