Newbie to Mac - Pigment Q's (many)

ollieo

I hope this is in the right forum for this Q. Thank you in advance for any tips and ideas! I was playing with my new Tarnish Eye Kohl and I never seem to get the top line straight. (hints?) I was given a small sample of the Golden Olive pigment so I used it and blended it into the top line and up a bit. Ended up covering half my eyelid. Now an hour later it looks more like I just have the Golden Olive for top eyeliner. Questions. I liked the look of it for an evening out. How would you recommend using the pigment? Continue over the whole bottom eyelid? Blend into a lighter color above? If I did that what color? Pigment or e/s? How would I get the pigment to stay put seeing as it is just an hour later and it is more in the eyeliner spot? Also within a few minutes of application the pigment made a line accross the crease of my eye due to the way my eyelids sit. Though I guess if I use the pigment on the whole eyelid then the crease line would be less noticeable. And is there a pigment or eyeshadow that would be a similar green without the sparkle? I am generally dependent on online stores to buy Mac and photos/descriptions are tough. I guess I am going to have to buy the Golden Olive though as I really like it. And I managed to drop my tiny sample on the floor so the little I was able to save I used this evening. The green goes nice with the carpeting though
ssad.gif

Usually, when using pigment you'll need either a base that will hold the pigment to you're eyelid or some mixing medium to use with it.

As far as a base goes, Cream Color Bases are the obvious choice. They stay pretty sticky, which obviously helps with staying power. However, I've found that CCBs crease sooner than I like, so my favorite method is to use first a Paint base like Stilife or Bare Canvas, then use a Shadestick in whatever appropriate color. For me, this holds the color very nicely and does not really crease. You'll find though that this is different for everyone. All of these can be found on the MAC website.

The other option is a mixing medium. MAC makes one, it is only sold at Pro stores (I believe) and you'll want to go with the eye-safe water based one. However, I've heard many people say that Visine works equally well and there is also a recipe out there for a home made one.

I hope this helped!

barbiebelt

i will tell you what i do......everytime i use pigment, which by the way i think my fav. color is golden olive, it is amazing. i use a brush and wet it in water, just run it under the sink and get it wet, dip it into the pigment (not alot, cause a little goes a long way) and then make a paste on the back of your hand......apply it (i always apply from lashline to my eyebrows) first i apply to my lids, then i add more water and mix it in again with what is on my hand (the more water you add the more sheer the color becomes) and add the sheerer version to the top of my eye. Then i wait for that to dry, and then i will use a color in my crease (sometimes, golden olive looks amazing just that by itself)
anyway, no matter what color of pigment i use (and i have tons of them) i always wet them....it also makes the color more vivid. i never ever have a problem with them creasing, not staying put or anything, as a matter of fact the other night, i went out to the bar, came home a little smashed.......slept with my makeup on, got up and did errands with the same makeup from the night before, and my daughter even commented on the fact that why did i have so much eye makeup on when i wasnt doing anything.......and that was after a full nights sleep. anyway i hope this helps......barbiebelt