Next step foundation...

Kisbee

I need some suggestions as to what foundation to go for next. I've currently got Studio Fix in NC20, but my face has decided it doesn't want to be oily any more, so I need something a little less dry.

When I bought it, the MA said I could use it with a damp sponge as well as dry (which doesn't seem to be on the website), which I do, but it's a little tricky to keep it from settling in my (large-ish) pores.

Having been a greasy-faced girl all my life, I'm attracted to dead matte foundation, but since I have less than perfect skin (a little bumpy and some splodgy freckles) which can look a little...dead/flat/whatever the opposite of glowing is, I'm thinking maybe I need something more forgiving (that doesn't feel too heavy).

Is that enough detail?

maxcat

I've come to really dislike Fix, though it still has it's following...
Non powder foundations, all of them, work better with a brush. Brushes also save you $$ over time because you lose far less product.
The new studio mists coming out might work for you but they're also un-sample-able... so go in with a clean face and try some.
Others to try: Studio Tech, Face and Body... and if you want to go full monty try Full Coverage. It covers tattoos, and I even use it for botox bruises... But F&B and F/C are only at the stand alone stores.

little teaser

have you tried select spf im useing that now its not matte or dewey some where in between i also love face&body it's shear though so if your looking to cover stuff up i dont think it does i use to use full coverage but didnt like it on me felt too heavy my friend that used it looked flawless and i tried studio tech which was too matte and i couldnt get it to blend and it felt like it just sat there and rub off easy but every thing works diffrent on every one go get a couple samples and decide what works for you but im really likeing the select spf right now i guess im alot of help sorry!

lovemetodeath

I use the select SPF and i would say it is pretty sheer but it can be built up to about a medium coverage. I have dryish skin too and it doesn't irritate it. I am planning on trying the studio tech or the SFF next or maybe the new mists as i want a fuller coverage than I'm getting with the select

Kisbee

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm thinking that either the Studio Tech or the Select might be best, as I've only got access to a concession stand, and I don't want too much coverage.

I haven't worn liquid foundation in years..the one I had before this one was of a similar consistency to the Studio Tech and even with a brush I had problems with it going a little streaky, especially around the nose and chin where I still get a little oily.

Looks like I'll have to go experiment.. shame..
smiles.gif

lovemetodeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisbee
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm thinking that either the Studio Tech or the Select might be best, as I've only got access to a concession stand, and I don't want too much coverage.

I haven't worn liquid foundation in years..the one I had before this one was of a similar consistency to the Studio Tech and even with a brush I had problems with it going a little streaky, especially around the nose and chin where I still get a little oily.

Looks like I'll have to go experiment.. shame..
smiles.gif

Just out of interest what is the Edinburgh counter like, I haven't been yet as getting into the centre of Edinburgh with 2 small children is pretty much a nightmare so i tend to order online or wait until i go down to my parents and go to the one at metro centre. I'm hoping to have a little 'me' day out to Edinburgh shopping in November whilst my MIL has the kids so wanted to know if it's worth it?

Thanks

Kisbee

It was fine when I went the last time (don't go very often tho). I went in on a Saturday and it wasn't too too busy, I got a full face done, got my list of products and then came back a few times (they were out of stock in my colour) before I got what I wanted.

I'd give it a go, I don't have much to report really, but Multrees Walk is really nice (now that there are more shops in), and there's plenty to browse.

User67

I also used to be extremely oily & then my skin changed & is more combination now. I use the Studio Fix Fluid & really love it, it gives good coverage, lasts all day & doesn't make the dry spots stand out & also doesn't turn me into an oil slick.

lovemetodeath

Quote:
It was fine when I went the last time (don't go very often tho). I went in on a Saturday and it wasn't too too busy, I got a full face done, got my list of products and then came back a few times (they were out of stock in my colour) before I got what I wanted.

I'd give it a go, I don't have much to report really, but Multrees Walk is really nice (now that there are more shops in), and there's plenty to browse.

I thought it was in Harvey Nics on princes street or is there another one. I've never heard of multree walk

Kisbee

Oh sorry, I'm being a bit technical.. It is in Harvey Nics, which isn't quite on Princes Street, it's just off Princes Street on St Andrew's Square. They built a new little shopping street to connect Harvey Nics to John Lewis and the St James Centre which is called Multrees Walk. It's got an Armani shop, Anne Fontaine, Clavin Klein, Ravel (I think), Mulberry, Louis Vuitton, and some other high-end shops in an attempt to keep the new bus station from turning into the hell-hole that was the old bus station.

It's a nice wee area, and there's a good cafe (a Valvonna & Crolla offshoot) there too.

lovemetodeath

Quote:
Oh sorry, I'm being a bit technical.. It is in Harvey Nics, which isn't quite on Princes Street, it's just off Princes Street on St Andrew's Square. They built a new little shopping street to connect Harvey Nics to John Lewis and the St James Centre which is called Multrees Walk. It's got an Armani shop, Anne Fontaine, Clavin Klein, Ravel (I think), Mulberry, Louis Vuitton, and some other high-end shops in an attempt to keep the new bus station from turning into the hell-hole that was the old bus station.

It's a nice wee area, and there's a good cafe (a Valvonna & Crolla offshoot) there too.

sounds nice, looking forward to my girly day out there when my MIL is over from Cyprus and can have the kids. We should do lunch

Kisbee

A quick update, I went in and (not intending to try any just then) had a lovely MA called Marya (I think) who tried the Select on me. We both didn't like the colour, but she said to wear it for the rest of the day and see what I thought. I felt it went quite oily on my skin in a few hours (I even put powder on it when I got home and it didn't help). But she had great suggestions about what to do for makeup when I get married (in July) which were cheaper than getting it done professionally but could make it a bit special for my mum and I (girlie day out!).

lovemetodeath

Quote:
A quick update, I went in and (not intending to try any just then) had a lovely MA called Marya (I think) who tried the Select on me. We both didn't like the colour, but she said to wear it for the rest of the day and see what I thought. I felt it went quite oily on my skin in a few hours (I even put powder on it when I got home and it didn't help). But she had great suggestions about what to do for makeup when I get married (in July) which were cheaper than getting it done professionally but could make it a bit special for my mum and I (girlie day out!).

Thanks for that. I'm hopefully going into Edinburgh on Thursday to get some new foundation because my select is getting to dark for me now I'm losing my summer glow and i think i've decided that i don't want select again so i think I'll try something else, maybe SFF or studio tech. Did you make an appointment or just pop in and get the foundation done? I'm hoping to stop byt MAC first thing, get some foundation put on then wear it around EDi for the day before going back and buying it if it's okay and still looks and feels fine. I have to get it on Thursday though cos goodness knows when I'll be back next

Having your make-up done for you for your wedding sounds like a nice idea. You could both get done up by MAC, i think it costs £25 but is redemable in products, so I'm sure you could mange that then not only are you having your make-up done by the professionals but you also get some goodies to boot.

Kisbee

I just popped in and was fiddling with stuff when the MA came over and asked if I needed help and offered to try stuff on me.

I've got scads of bridesmaids to get ready and organised, so I think I'll take mum in a week or so beforehand and get the charts done and then buy what I need and get ready with the girls...the thought of treking into town on a Saturday morning is just too scary!

Kisbee

I'm so annoyed!

I went back to see what the next idea was since the Select seemed too oily on me and got a different MA.

She decided that the Select was the right one for me, but I needed Oil Control Lotion instead of what I was using (Stila Blossom stuff for normal skin). So she gave me a sample, really grudgingly tested a bit of Select on one cheek with some blot powder and then practically herded me out of the shop. I had been intending to buy some eyeshadow, but she never gave me the chance!

I don't like the combo of Select with blot powder on me, it's too cake-y and brown looking and I think I need something a little more dewey to play down the texture of my skin. I don't want lots and lots of coverage, but I don't seem to be saying the right things..or should I try a non-MAC foundation?

Kisbee

I got a sample of Prescriptives Flawless Skin, so far so good (but this is just the first day wearing it..)

lovemetodeath

Quote:
I got a sample of Prescriptives Flawless Skin, so far so good (but this is just the first day wearing it..)

what colour are you in MAC and what colour did they give you in Px flawless skin. I am too trying both and I am NC20 but NC15 in SFF and they recommended cream in Px but having put it on it seems a bit too dark although it looks okay if i use a bit of bronzer on my neck as my neck is lighter than my face anyway. It does look and feel nice on

Kisbee

I'm NC 20 (Studio Fix Powder..I've got a shade card for Select at home) and Vellum in Prescriptives. If only it weren't almost £30!

Latest posts