No feedback?

Neophyte

That's the feel I get from this site. Is anyone not allowed to give any tips on how to help someone out with thier makeup unless they specifically ask? You say one non "super positve oh my god it's gum drops and lollipops" comment and you get attacked.

jasper17

While I understand that not every person on this site is 100% proficient or perfect in their application/ use, etc., I think there's a big difference between constructive criticism that is truly meant to help someone get better at this thing they love and being genuinely rude or unhelpful. It's been my experience that some people haven't learned the right way to get their point across - a little tact goes a long way in any social situation, especially one like this where self esteem is involved. And truly, if you don't have something nice to say it *is* easier to not say anything at all.

user4

i dont think that's true... the thing here is that (i'm speaking for myself but i do think most of the people would agree with me) most people want an honest opinion and feedback. like... yeah, you could do this better, or you should try to blend better, or you should try this or that and it would be better. lately though, there have been some people (not going to name names) who give negative comments but no feedback. what am i supposed to do with a comment that reads "eh, i dont like it!" or "bla, it's ok." that is not the kind of feed back people are looking for ya know. when i first came on this site a couple of months ago people would tell me that my blending wasnt that great and that i wasnt doing an amazing job and i took their comments and feedback and tried to fix what they would say. i appreciate constructing criticism, what i dont appreciate is people who try to get you down just because they feel like it!

Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper17
And truly, if you don't have something nice to say it *is* easier to not say anything at all.

I totally agree. I've never seen anyone say anything negative... accept for that one girl recently.

mspixieears

I think if you want specific 'not-so-positive' comments, or hardcore constructive criticism, then if you post a picture, I'd suggest that you state clearly that you are really after comments to help improve your look? As in, ask your viewer/s specifically to really pinpoint what THEY think can be done better, or if colour choices could be better etc.

Personally, I have given major thumbs-up to looks that would look plain ghastly on me; but that's because it looked f***ing fantastic on the person who posted the pic.

As a fellow artist, I have to say that finding the right constructive critics is extremely difficult and even more so over the internet. Most people here don't want to offend anyone and we probably get enough shit in our 'real lives' so it's kind of nice to come to positive affirmation environments like this.

Having said that, if you ever want specifically constructive criticism from me, just let me know when you post a fotd and I can always just PM my comments to you, that way no one gets hurt (hopefully!).

Whatcha think?

Juneplum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neophyte
That's the feel I get from this site. Is anyone not allowed to give any tips on how to help someone out with thier makeup unless they specifically ask? You say one non "super positve oh my god it's gum drops and lollipops" comment and you get attacked.

it's not that at all! speaking for myself, constructive criticism and tips are ALWAYS appreciated! that's the only way we learn and can improve our techniques, color choices, product choice etc. we're all here to learn from each other and feedback as long as it's not hurtful or spiteful is encouraged!

that being said, we all know there is one particular member who is the polar opposite. THAT kind of feedback is not welcome here at all. telling people they need to buy a new camera, making fun of another posters comments, telling someone to take better pics or don't post, or telling another "meh, it's alright" without suggesting ways the poster could have improved the look is destructive criticism which i personally have NO tolerance for.

mspixieears

Sorry to post again so soon, but I just posted in the 'who's up for some poetry?' thread, and feel that I gave what I consider to be constructive criticism. I could clarify my statements a bit more, but I think the writer may already be aware of the section/s that could be improved? Hopefully the writer will find it helpful.

Hawkeye

I love critiques. Nothing is worse than some asshole coming in and just bitching about something when she has no freaking clue about anything.

Its one thing to say, " Yeah your makeup sucks try again" and another to say, " Perhaps you could blend a little bit more and that will make your makeup perfect."

Nothing is worse to me then a bunch of "yes men". However, I very rarely post on the FOTD board mainly because I just have no feedback. I mean I may think its nice or OK but unless it really WOWS me I wont post. Thats just how I am. If I see something that really does need a little extra work, I will let that person know, and I have done it before, but I will put it in a way that is respectful and informative.

I personally think the poster you are referring to is a kid. They are either insanely rude or just like to make trouble. I dont know I dont care.

But its not just on this board but in real life. There is a right way and a wrong way to do everything.

mac_obsession

I think there is a large difference between not hurting someones feelings and being fake. There are some people, myself included that like to try to find at least one thing that is positive about a post, at least one thing that is nice, or decent in a person or a statement, and go with that.

I dont think thats being fake, I think its being considerate. If I dont like something, its easier to say, maybe this would look better, or if you did this a certain way, than its just fuckin ugly.

A lot of people have shitty lives, and come here to find a little bit of an escape. I cant say that for everyone, but I can speak for myself.

Dealing with chemo, chronic illnesses, and chronic pain leave me no desire to come to a site where people are shitty to each other, treat people like fucking trash or tell them how ugly they are or whatever.

For me this was a safeplace, somewhere I could go that would bring a smile to my face and make me forget even for a moment about my real life that is full of so much pain and stress.
Somewhere I can make friends, and be "around" people that are sweet, and kind and considerate not just of my feelings but of others as well.

Sometimes that doesnt happen IRL, so its easier to escape online, to be involved in something good that doesnt hurt anyone.

That being said, I think that the people on this site are amazing, I have learned so much, and made so many friends, that I truly care for, and truly enjoy talking to and spending time chatting either online or on the phone with.

This isnt a beauty pageant or a judged competition it is a site to share looks and information. There should be no reason for people to hurt other peoples feelings just because they cant find something useful to say without saying it like an asshole. Constructive criticism is a good thing. I hate how some people think that tearing a person apart is constructive. It's not. Generally people that tear others down are doing so because of things they don't like about themselves.

Yes this is the internet. But there are places more suited for this type of drama and we all know which sites they are. So please, if thats what you're looking for, go and troll all you want on those sites and leave specktra as it was before the trolls found us.

Sanne

whoahhh!! PREACH SISTER PREACH

I must say that I agree with every word Jan is saying. I love specktra for the kindness and the positive admosfere(sp?), and I want to say about the original message from neophyte: if people want constructive feedback, they wil ask for it. I've seen people being dissappointed and angry with feedback they got and didn't ask for, and I think that problem is easily solvable by just putting down that you want feedback when you do.

Professor Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_obsession
I think ....blah blah blah

i'm not saying that when someone posts a pic that looks horrible that people should personally attack them. rather give them hints on how to do something better.i'm no make up expert so i can't bring up exact situations. it just seems like a lot of people are either too touchy or they are just too fake and want to play the safe card. if you see a pic of someone and you know a good technique or color that they may want to try in order to better their look/application,you should help them out.not everyone is going to ask for help,but i am sure that they are open to helpful suggestions.so i am sure that helpful suggestions would be ok.

Sanne

I understand what you're saying but I think that's what you would personally want. I think you should not speak for other people, everyone is different, and there are actually plenty girls who ask for feedback in their FOTD thread. I noticed people will give it when asked. Otherwise, just be supportive.

When I posted the first pic of my eyes when I was a total newbie to MU I loved the fact that every body was raving, even though I thought I thought it didn't look all that good, I knew I could do 10 times better. but it made me feel great about myself, and it made me stick around and I slowly learned how to make my makeup complimentive to my face by looking at other peoples techniques. I didn't need anyone to tell me that my first FOTD looked like shit, the photo quality was horrible and my hair was a mess!

so now I've speaked for myself, and I hope that you accept that there are other ways for you to interperate peoples reactions. and if not, that's fine too. I hope that you can accept that I just don't agree with what you're saying

Professor Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by groupie
I didn't need anyone to tell me that my first FOTD looked like shit, the photo quality was horrible and my hair was a mess!

so now I've speaked for myself, and I hope that you accept that there are other ways for you to interperate peoples reactions. and if not, that's fine too. I hope that you can accept that I just don't agree with what you're saying

maybe you don't agree because you don't understand it? look at what you said above...i quoted it in BOLD.

i stated in my above post that "helpful suggestions" would be welcome. i don't think that anyone would get offended if someone gave them helpful tips/suggestions when it comes to colors/application.on the other hand,if someone said something like..."wow, you have one ugly mug. just give up and quit posting your grotesque face." that would be completely out of line and mean.

example: "wow, you look great! have you ever tried "whatever technique" on your eyes? i think that if you tried "said technique" it would really bring out...yadda yadda yadda"...you get the point.

user4

i agree with all the people about the idea of constructive criticism. i dont want someone telling me i look hot and amazing when my mu looks like hell and guys... please dont let me walk out the door looking hiddeous!!! but i think this whole mess started with one (most likely childish young) girl who was giving no constructice criticism... just criticism. she was going around leaving comments such as "meh, its ok" or "ur camera sucks" or "take better pictures because that looks bad." those are the type of comments that most people would def. rather do without. dont u think?

when i posted my first fotd i got encouragment telling me it was nice and whatnot but i should try to blend better and do my eye brows (which i already knew btw). stuff like that is appreciated. i was a total newby and i wanted tips on how to look like a lot of the girls here (at least their mu). and little by little by looking at tutorials, and getting tips, and looking at other's FOTD i began getting a little better. i dont think i'm quite there but i do think there has been an improvment and its been because of the people who stepped up and said things like "i think u should blend better" or "i think you should try this or that color" or "i think you went to high on your brow." and i think most of the people on here will agree but the other comments are hurtful and mean and def. discouraging if it's ur first FOTD.

Professor Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxychika1014
i agree with all the people about the idea of constructive criticism. i dont want someone telling me i look hot and amazing when my mu looks like hell and guys... please dont let me walk out the door looking hiddeous!!! but i think this whole mess started with one (most likely childish young) girl who was giving no constructice criticism... just criticism. she was going around leaving comments such as "meh, its ok" or "ur camera sucks" or "take better pictures because that looks bad." those are the type of comments that most people would def. rather do without. dont u think?

when i posted my first fotd i got encouragment telling me it was nice and whatnot but i should try to blend better and do my eye brows (which i already knew btw). stuff like that is appreciated. i was a total newby and i wanted tips on how to look like a lot of the girls here (at least their mu). and little by little by looking at tutorials, and getting tips, and looking at other's FOTD i began getting a little better. i dont think i'm quite there but i do think there has been an improvment and its been because of the people who stepped up and said things like "i think u should blend better" or "i think you should try this or that color" or "i think you went to high on your brow." and i think most of the people on here will agree but the other comments are hurtful and mean and def. a discouragment if it's ur first FOTD.

:thumbsup: word!

Professor Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_obsession
professer fate, until you post your picture wearing m/u you've put on maybe you shouldnt comment?

read sxychika1014's post...i think she hit the nail on the head.

as far as me putting on make up and posting a pic. don't you get enough pics of me in the cyber chat room?
graucho.gif
i don't think i need endless online pick up attempts from the ladies. i just don't have that kind of time anymore.

mac_obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Fate
read sxychika1014's post...i think she hit the nail on the head.

as far as me putting on make up and posting a pic. don't you get enough pics of me in the cyber chat room?
graucho.gif
i don't think i need endless online pick up attempts from the ladies. i just don't have that kind of time anymore.

oh thats really mature. get over yourself.

Janice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neophyte
Is anyone not allowed to give any tips on how to help someone out with thier makeup unless they specifically ask?

Constructive tips are always appreciated.

Our regular members are polite & tactful, they understand decency and respect and they recognize that sometimes gentle coaching is needed for people to reach their full potential. If a member solicits opinions along with their FOTD, then more constructive critcism is generally seen within the thread. If a member does not solicit C.C. you won't see as much. This does not mean it's not acceptable to post your tips.

Since the beginning (our forum has grown so much in the past year) it was understood that you would ASK for C.C. if you desired it.

I for one appreciate that our members have integrity and manners. It does make us truly different from the rest.

Latest posts