no more MAC for me....

dmenchi

i was working for a short time for MAC..and i'm not sure to where to go from here... I was thinking i could work for sephora ,but i'm not sure that it's the right choice for me....anybody has any suggestions? and how can my training and work experience benefit me in my job hunt? and further more have any of you worked for sephora, lancome ,clnique, stila...? what are the pro and cons? TIA!

erine1881

why do you no longer work for mac, may i ask?

if you try working for lancome, clinique, etc, your experience at mac would be extremely helpful. try applying at one of the brands that you are familiar with or want to become familiar with. just know that you would be working for the department store that the counter is located in, and rules/policy would be at the discretion of the department store (unlike mac counters at department stores where you worked for mac, and followed mac policy).

if you don't wanna work for another makeup brand, try working at a salon as a makeup artist. some cosmos/estheticicans might not be as trained as you in makeup, so your experience would be a plus. even photography studios might need makeup artists. i'm not exactly sure how that works in the world of photog.

MissMarley

I can tell you I enjoy working for Clinique, but if some of your stress was job-related, you're going to have the some of the same issues....pressure to make plan, customers who take hours of your time and buy nothing, plus you have to add on pre-sale goals for GWP and then the actual GWP month. I love Clinique and love our products, but I also would LOVE not having a GWP.

amoona

From what I know none of those lines pay anywhere near what we make at MAC. And Sephora certainly doesn't make even half of what we make at MAC. You don't want to take a job that'll pay you less.

It seems like you'd like to stay in retail cosmetics. If it were me, the only other lines I like besides MAC are Nars, Shu Umera and Make-Up Forever so I'd go to work for Nars or Shu Umera, perferably at a higher end retailer because they'll pay you more. Hell if you came from MAC they'd probably offer you an assistant manager or manager position. I was offered an assistant manager position for Nars at Barneys for good money and the only reason I didn't take it was because I wasn't able to work full time when I was offered it.

Hope that helps.

VioletB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMarley
I can tell you I enjoy working for Clinique, but if some of your stress was job-related, you're going to have the some of the same issues....pressure to make plan, customers who take hours of your time and buy nothing, plus you have to add on pre-sale goals for GWP and then the actual GWP month. I love Clinique and love our products, but I also would LOVE not having a GWP.

AMEN! We have a pretty small counter (I work for Lauder) and we just made our 10,000 presale goal. Holy shit it sucks. Especially when they keep shortening our "official start" date.. It used to be a month and now it's like two weeks!! It's hard to enough sometimes to get people to buy something let alone not let them take it home!! Ok I'm done.

back2topic.gif

dmenchi

thanks guys..hugs and kisses, i feel a little better now. pay is certainly a concern but i really love working at a counter and meeting people ....how is sephora's pay?

scorplove

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMarley

You know MissMarley, after working for Prescriptives which offers NOTHING or any type of incentive for customers to buy, I would LOVE to work for a company that offers GWP. At least your customers will BUY something.

FacesbyNiki

First look at a line you will be happy to endorse because that's what matters. Will you enjoy wearing and liking the make up. Can you freelance for MAC until something comes up. Freelance for yourself also. I know smashbox plays well for their freelancers, not sure about their staff positions though.

amoona

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmenchi
thanks guys..hugs and kisses, i feel a little better now. pay is certainly a concern but i really love working at a counter and meeting people ....how is sephora's pay?

My friend is working part-time at Sephora to keep a somewhat steady income while she builds up her hair salon and they don't pay that much. Not much more then min. wage and in San Francisco min. wage is $8.75 I believe. She gets only a few dollars more but it's a temp thing for her.

If money is an issue I'd recommend working for a counter at a more high end store. Macy's doesn't pay much at all but I know when I was at Bloomingdales the other counters actually got paid more then we do hourly plus they got commission.

Latest posts