Nordstrom anniversary brush set

nat9891

Does anyone know what specific brushes will be in the mac anniversary brush set available at Nordstrom? I'm new to mac and I was thinking this might be a good brush start-out kit. Am I better off buying the basic mac brushes separately?

FireLily0

The 2 sets of brushes are:

239, 219, 266, 316, and 129
190, 212, 252, 194, and 168

Although these are shorter handle brushes, the one set that I prepurchased was $47 (the first set) when I normally would have spent at least $117.50 on these 5 brushes. The 2nd set would be around $131.5 if you paid for them separately. Based on price alone, it would be better to spend $100 on 10 brushes than the $250.

OnaFyre

You know, honestly I think its better to buy the actual brushes. I bought both brush sets last year because I travel for work and I thought those would be easier to transport. But I found that (some of) the smaller brushes were of a lesser quality. The 239 and the 266 in particular didn't work as well as the standard size brushes. And some of my very favorite brushes weren't in the set so I would end up shleping them along with me anyway. I ended up buying a brush clutch and that's a better way for me to carry all of my brushes and some other items. The packaging for last years sets was cute but didn't have a lot of room to put actual makeup in. I think some people prefer the short handles though. And lets not forget the price difference. I guess it depends on what you're looking for what what your prefrences are.

nat9891

Thanks for the info! I definitely have to take price into consideration so I think I'm leaning towards buying the sets b/c it saves so much $$ like you said.

MissMisah

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnaFyre
You know, honestly I think its better to buy the actual brushes. I bought both brush sets last year because I travel for work and I thought those would be easier to transport. But I found that (some of) the smaller brushes were of a lesser quality. The 239 and the 266 in particular didn't work as well as the standard size brushes. And some of my very favorite brushes weren't in the set so I would end up shleping them along with me anyway. I ended up buying a brush clutch and that's a better way for me to carry all of my brushes and some other items. The packaging for last years sets was cute but didn't have a lot of room to put actual makeup in. I think some people prefer the short handles though. And lets not forget the price difference. I guess it depends on what you're looking for what what your prefrences are.

omg! i know what you mean. i figured id buy the travel sized ones...but the quality is definitely not up to par in my opinion. i end up bringing my reg. sized brushes....soooo hard to work with!!! so i just decided to give mine away...and just slowly build up my collection. theres no use saving money if it doesnt even do what you want it to!

bebs

I too have bought a few sets the ones I have used have been good but in the end just not worth it.. they werent made as well didnt have the same quality as the full size that and well I didnt like the short handle.

Renee

I think the brushes in brush sets are factory assembled and the single brushes are made individually, so that may be why the quality isn't as good as a regular sized brush.

Throwaway Style

i talked to a trainer and she said that the brush sets aren't as high quality and it's better to buy the brushes seperatly.

bellaetoile

slowly build your collection of full size brushes. the brush sets are not worth it. its taken me almost 4 years to build my brush collection to where it is right now, but when i bought a brush set last year, i sold it almost immediately because i was disappointed in the quality, and the short brush handles annoyed me. plus, the full size brushes will last a LOOONG time, if proper care is taken..

Kristen

ITO with what everyone's said. Recently I've found myself replacing all of my SE brushes with their full size counterparts. Plus there were a few brushes in the kit I hardly needed. It's best to go to into mac, talk to an MA and try out a few brushes. Find a few you love and that'd be a great starting point. Might I suggest the 272, 266 and 222/224

Pushpa

onafrye i totally agree i have only bought 1 of the sets for myslef and got one as a gift but they are not up topar with the full size brushes

aziajs

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! You just saved me $40. I was set on getting these but I will just buy the full size versions.

morgasm

I'll still buy another one this year because I do like them, but compared to the full size brushes they really aren't that great.

the shadow brushes bristles (?) are coarse and irritate my eyelids.

nat9891

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! You just saved me $40. I was set on getting these but I will just buy the full size versions.

I think I'm going to buy the full-size versions too. I would rather spend more $$ on something that's really good quality.