Oh brother, what do I do about this man?!?

eastsidesunset

I recently got engaged, and so far, it's been more of a pain in the ass than it needs to be. He doesn't want to tell anyone until after my birthday (which is in Feb.) because he thinks the family will take it better if they're told when I'm closer to being done with college (I'm in my fifth year, going on 23, so it's not like I'm super young and it's a concern). In a way, I understand, but for goodness sake, I want to wear the amazingly perfect ring already because it's lonely in it's box, haha.

Today we were talking, and I brought up the idea of a small reception (we don't want to do a ceremony really, while the appropriate papers will be filled). He freaked out. He is absolutely dead set against doing something with anyone more than our parents. Now, I come from a huge Latin family, who are always down for a party (haha), and will be expecting something if I announce I'm getting married. I'm the first born in my family, too, and not having a wedding will devistate my mom (and me, I'm not going to lie). I've already agreed to do away with a ceremony, but is it wrong of me to not want to budge on a reception. I know the wedding isn't completely about the bride, but I would hope that we could come to some sort of compromise. He says no, he doesn't want a reception at all, and that I can wait a few (10) years to have what I'd like. It's not like I want something huge and expensive, but I want to be able to show everyone I know (well, not everyone) how much I love him, and want them to share in such an important day with me.

Am I wrong or something? He says I'm being difficult, I say he's a jerk.

His solution: spend the money we would have spent on a wedding on a honeymoon, and do something small with our family somewhere (Vegas??). He says I can still wear a pretty dress and play princess for a day. I say screw the dress the only thing he's getting with a Vegas wedding is jeans and a tshirt. The only thing in this world getting me into a dress is a wedding....I'm have strong hatred towards dresses, haha.

Sorry for the rant, I just need some advice! :confused:

Shimmer

ehhh.
I can totally see how a Latin family wedding would be a HUGE event.
A wedding is...special. It really depends on what you both want...

Doing something with the money for a honeymoon would be awesome though...I gave up a honey moon to have a wedding. I wouldn't have it any other way, but it would have been interesting to be able, before we started our lives together in the day to day, to be able to spend a week or two with JUST my husband.

I know this didn't help at all. :/

~LadyLocks~

I don't think your being difficult at all! And it's not like your asking for this huge wedding. After all, this is your "special day" so you have every right to want to share it with the people you care about. I'm in the same situation. My fiancé wants to skip the whole wedding thing and get married in Vegas but for me, I would want to share it with my closest friends and family and honestly, wouldn’t have it any other way. I see where he's coming from but it's all about compromise, make the decision together and make sure you both are happy with the decision you come up with.

If you really want the reception, there are several ways you can go about cutting costs and getting everything together. Do some research online. I've come across several websites that tell you how to throw a wedding on a budget. Just make sure you have a dollar dance and invite everyone you know who would give you the big $$$ lol. Then you can use that money for a honey moon!

HTH and good luck with everything
smiles.gif

Kisbee

Grr, just wrote a long response and then lost it..

Essentially this is a marriage of two people, both of whom should have equal say in how it is run, which includes announcing the engagement, having the wedding ceremony and reception, and everything else that will happen.

A reception doesn't have to be expensive, you could have a barbeque, a picnic or just drinks and nibbles, there's nothing that says it has to be Martha Stewart's Black Tie Extravaganza.

..and if you're willing to wait 10 years for a reception to celebrate the relationship, he can wait 10 years to consummate the relationship?
winks.gif

inlucesco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisbee
..and if you're willing to wait 10 years for a reception to celebrate the relationship, he can wait 10 years to consummate the relationship?
winks.gif

LMAO, I love that!

If he's completely unwilling to compromise on this, what else will he refuse to do when you're married? You agreed to do away with the ceremony; it's his turn to meet you in the middle. It makes me wonder if the jerky behavior is him being concerned about something else, or if he just now feels comfortable enough to let it all hang out.

Also, if my boyfriend proposed to me and then told me that he wasn't going to tell anyone until after my birthday, and I couldn't wear the ring, because he didn't like what his PARENTS would think, I would get a pair of pruning shears to cut that umbilical cord (or cut something more sensitive).

Anyway, good luck, and please use Kisbee's line and tell us how it goes.
winks.gif

eastsidesunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~LadyLocks~
If you really want the reception, there are several ways you can go about cutting costs and getting everything together. Do some research online. I've come across several websites that tell you how to throw a wedding on a budget. Just make sure you have a dollar dance and invite everyone you know who would give you the big $$$ lol. Then you can use that money for a honey moon!

OMG, the dollar dance! He thinks I was making that up!! haha. I've told hm that it's totally possible to do something reasonable, but that he'd have to look online with me. Honestly, I think most guys view a Vegas wedding as easy, something that the man doesn't really have to get involved with because the planning is damn near nonexistant.

Sadly, I've decided that if he insists on a Vegas wedding, I'll have to "insist" on a very long trip to the MAC Pro store that would be all on him, haha!

Though, my mom and her husband got married in Vegas last April, and from what my mom says, they can actually be classy weddings (none of this fat Elvis guy marrying you bs). If I could somehow get him to be willing to do a reception and then have the Vegas thing he might want, we'd both be happy.

Thanks!

eastsidesunset

Quote:
Grr, just wrote a long response and then lost it..

Essentially this is a marriage of two people, both of whom should have equal say in how it is run, which includes announcing the engagement, having the wedding ceremony and reception, and everything else that will happen.

A reception doesn't have to be expensive, you could have a barbeque, a picnic or just drinks and nibbles, there's nothing that says it has to be Martha Stewart's Black Tie Extravaganza.

winks.gif

After that response, I pretty much want to marry you now!! haha.

That's what I was telling him. We could do something small, like drinks and nibble foods, with just the close family. I understand that coming from a Latin family, it could be a big deal, but honestly, only about 1/3 of my family knows who I am (short guestlist, yea!).

I think he's going to end up waiting 10 years, he's so stubborn. But I should ask him!

eastsidesunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlucesco

Also, if my boyfriend proposed to me and then told me that he wasn't going to tell anyone until after my birthday, and I couldn't wear the ring, because he didn't like what his PARENTS would think, I would get a pair of pruning shears to cut that umbilical cord (or cut something more sensitive).

Anyway, good luck, and please use Kisbee's line and tell us how it goes.
winks.gif

The sad thing is, I totally understand his motivation behind not telling either set of parents. His parents aren't the most....friendly, haha. We've been together for 6 months (we've know each other for 6 years, geez, it took long enough), and I've only ever been around his mom a few times. When we first started dating, they didn't have such nice things to say about me, and now that they've let it go, we both figured we'd let them get to know me. Plus, it gives him time to pay off the pretty ring so they won't freak out about how much it costs. My parents, on the other hand, are nuts. I'd wait until after I'm married to tell my father if I could get away with it (he suffers from serious "can't let the children leave" syndrome). I think my dad still thinks I'm 5 or something, haha.

I trust me, I'm going to use that line. I'll get back to you!
lol.gif

~LadyLocks~

HAHAH...making the dollar dance up
rofl.gif
? Where did you find this guy? LOL j/k but if you guys don't want to do the dollar dance you can also have a money tree. I've seen that at weddings as well. Just make sure you put on the invitation that there will be a money tree, and once guests see that, they'll skip the present and just give the mula as a gift instead!

YvetteJeannine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~LadyLocks~
HAHAH...making the dollar dance up
rofl.gif
? Where did you find this guy? LOL j/k but if you guys don't want to do the dollar dance you can also have a money tree. I've seen that at weddings as well. Just make sure you put on the invitation that there will be a money tree, and once guests see that, they'll skip the present and just give the mula as a gift instead!

Good idea!

On that 'note' LOL...I just wanted to share something I saw on TV late one night (referring to a money tree)...

I was watching one of those "Worst Wedding Moments" type of shows...One of the snippets was a wedding party in a very nice, upscale reception venue...The video panned on to a Maitre'D carrying a Topiary-style money tree (full of BIIIG BUCKS) out to the table area to be displayed. As he was setting it down, I guess he didn't notice the candle on the table, and just a lil' corner of the tree caught on fire. Well, in a few seconds, the WHOLE tree was going up in flames! He just stood there for a moment in horror not knowing what to do...then you see him running into the kitchen with the flaming tree!!!

I was so mortified, I was saying "OH MY GOD" aloud!!!!

I really hope the venue took responisbility for that 'incident'....hopefully the party knew how much $$$ was on that tree!!!!! What a horror!

~LadyLocks~

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvetteJeannine
Good idea!

On that 'note' LOL...I just wanted to share something I saw on TV late one night (referring to a money tree)...

I was watching one of those "Worst Wedding Moments" type of shows...One of the snippets was a wedding party in a very nice, upscale reception venue...The video panned on to a Maitre'D carrying a Topiary-style money tree (full of BIIIG BUCKS) out to the table area to be displayed. As he was setting it down, I guess he didn't notice the candle on the table, and just a lil' corner of the tree caught on fire. Well, in a few seconds, the WHOLE tree was going up in flames! He just stood there for a moment in horror not knowing what to do...then you see him running into the kitchen with the flaming tree!!!

I really hope the venue took responisbility for that 'incident'....hopefully the party knew how much $$$ was on that tree!!!!! What a horror!

No friggen way! I would of killed the guy times 2 haha! They better of gotten the money reimbursed...oh wow, what a nightmare!

Raerae

lol... I would break up with him over that =P

Thats MY DAY! LOL! Not his =P And he gets no say in it! He can plan the honeymoon where I'll make him feel like my husband LOL!!!

And the last thing I would want to do is go on a honeymoon to Vegas with the "family" LOL!

eastsidesunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvetteJeannine
Good idea!

OMG, that's horrible! I never knew a wedding tradition could be so dangerous, haha. :makes note to self, no wedding money tree or candles:

Kisbee

If you wait for your family to stop being nuts you'll never get married! (Besides, they come up with all sorts of new and exciting weirdnesses once you tell them you're getting married...trust me..)

eastsidesunset

Quote:
If you wait for your family to stop being nuts you'll never get married! (Besides, they come up with all sorts of new and exciting weirdnesses once you tell them you're getting married...trust me..)

I realized that the other day, when I was bombarded with some new craziness from the family. I've decided that I'll tell them when I actually have all the money and arrangements needed for the wedding. I can see it now "OH, by the way, mom and dad, I'm getting married Saturday. Did you want to come??". That way, they'll be in too much shock to act weird, haha.

Kisbee

Whatever makes you happy, but I personally have had a lot of good family experiences since being engaged, which I wouldn't have had if I'd waited. Granted there have been some hellish bits too, but for me, being engaged was quite stressful at the beginning, and it was good to be able to talk to my family about stuff.

I hope it goes well for you tho..

litlaur

Quote:

Exactly what I was thinking. Make it more of an informal party than a "reception". Potluck and BYOB if you need to save money.

eastsidesunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlaur
Exactly what I was thinking. Make it more of an informal party than a "reception". Potluck and BYOB if you need to save money.

Yea, we talked about it, and he thinks that would be perfect. Neither of us really digs dressing up and being "fancy"
lol.gif
, and we thought that maybe a big BBQ would be nice. Too bad we live in a city that has a rush for the day the permits are put out for the park districts, because we'd actually have to wait until the spring after the wedding for it. (People actually camp out at the office that issues the permits downtown to be able to have their parties and whatnot at the park district or forest preserves. And we'd need one because our families would qualify as big, haha).

All I know is, I'm getting a cake, and it will be TASTY.
clap.gif

Thanks for all the advice girls!!

Latest posts