okay, sooo Im planning on...

PolyphonicLove

perming my hair tomorrow, and then, when my friend brings the cash...

Im going to let John have fun with my hair!

I wear a fauxhawk at all times,

sooo Im getting it cut short on the sides and the back,
keeping it long up top;

then dyed JET BLACKKK [my original colour! its washed out looking cos of how Ive dyed my hair before],

and then some red on the left of the hawk,
but it'll be kind of hidden so you cant see it unless I decide to wear my hair down or up a certain way. :]

I really hope my friend can loan me [I work at hot topic and I lost some hours, grrr], so I can get it done before school starts on the 8th!!!

how does this sound to you ladies and gents? any recs on how to keep the colours up?

faifai

It sounds very edgy and different! Post pics when you're done.

Since red is so notoriously hard to keep in your hair, I'd say you should re-dye the red parts if it starts to fade, preferably with a brand like Special Effects. Their dyes are famously vibrant and rich even on black hair, but also a little difficult to find.

Amaranth

I love Special FX dye! I used Candy Apple Red a few months ago, the colour was amazing, sort of like, dark red, but Magenta in the sun and in pictures. I hadn't bleached my hair before either and it stuck very, very well. It actually lasted longer than the dye had when I went to the salon. The only thing is, it's super concentrated, so you don't need much, but I dyed our bathroom pink trying to wash it out. Luckily it was a university residence so I really didn't care, but I'll know to be more careful next time! I got it at our local goth store, though I've seen it online, and I've heard you can get it at some Hot Topics...though I've never been to a Hot Topic so I can't really say for sure.

But the following are my tips to make dye last longer:

a) Use either very cheap (harsher on the hair) or clarifying shampoo before dying your hair. Don't use conditioner! This will make your hair stand open up so more dye can get it, and conditioner sort of repels semi-permanent dye to a degree.
b) Make or buy what we always called "Magic Shampoo". I believe Manic Panic makes pre-made ones, but you can make this at home by adding a little bit of dye to your shampoo. It's not perfect, and it doesn't really add more colour to your hair...not in a noticeable way anyway. It'll mostly add a bit more colour back while you wash some out.
c) Use cold water to wash your hair, and do it as little as you can manage. Cold water closes the hair strand so the dye can't get out, so make it as cold as you can stand. What I always do is shower at normal temperature, turn of the hot water almost all the way, then just lean back so only my hair is in the icy water. I make it pretty damn cold, I'm not putting more of myself in there than I need to! Then I just readjust the temperature once I'm done rinsing so I can warm myself up again.

c) If you use any heat tools, always use a heat protector first. I like the Matrix ones, you sort of have to go salon-brand here. I find the cheap ones make my hair all gummy, and considering I'm protecting my dye and my hair (basically from burning) I'd like the peace of mind of knowing that the spray is ACTUALLY doing something. But who knows, maybe there are good cheap ones out there...I have yet to find it.

Good luck! Sounds hot
winks.gif
. My hair is pretty boring right now, but in two weeks it won't be, and I'll definitely be buying some Special FX.