Old? Fake? Both?

caffn8me

Well, this bronze shimmer is definitely fake but it's an eye shadow.

As for the lipstick, I've spent about three hours on it so far poking around and researching and have still reached no firm conclusions but here are some observations. Maybe by the time I've detailed them all I will have made my mind up! Here they are;
Bronze Shimmer lipstick is listed on the M·A·C website as a frost rather than an amplified crème.

Bronze Shimmer was in the November 2002 M·A·C colour story "Snowgirl" but of course it may have existed before then. In November 2002 it would have been in the current packaging shape (although it may have been silver rather than black plastic at some stage prior to that).

There are a lot of people suddenly selling Bronze Shimmer lipsticks which are all the same style - not just on eBay. A lot of the eBayers don't seem to be selling much M·A·C and known good M·A·C sellers aren't selling old style Bronze Shimmer lipsticks.

Even makeup.com has one here which is described as "old packaging"

Strawberrynet.com which is a reliable source for discontinued and surplus M·A·C lipsticks is not carrying Bronze Shimmer.

I'm sure amplified crèmes did not come out until a long time after that style of packaging was discontinued.

I have a couple of old style lipsticks and there are three very subtle differences between mine (which were purchased directly from M·A·C stores) and the ones pictured on eBay auctions and makeup.com. Firstly the shape of the cap is slightly different having a more rounded edge to the top on the suspect lipstick. Secondly, the suspect plastic is less matte and thirdly, the logo printing around the silver band is slightly different.

Other unusual discrepancies are evident in the boxes.​
OK! STOP!!!!!! STOP!!!!!!!

I've made a breakthrough. :woots:

It's a fake. I just needed the right photograph and I've found it.

Here are my continuing observations;
The lipstick shows poor colour consistency within itself - clear banding and settling of pigments. I've been through all of my M·A·C lipsticks and cannot find this in one of them. Pigments in genuine M·A·C lipsticks are evenly distributed throughout the product. The last image I have attached is a genuine M·A·C Bronze Shimmer and you can see the evenness of pigment distribution that's lacking from all the others I've attached. You can also see the box very clearly.

The shape of the lipstick point is also different to genuine M·A·C lipsticks which go to a very defined angle at the highest part - the flat part isn't as oval as it is on the fakes.

I was suspicious of the font on the box. The lettering that describes the product (AMPLIFIED etc....) is a very slightly bolder and wider font than on genuine M·A·C products but I didn't have a particularly good view of this in some of the pictures so it was hard to tell.

Packaging in 1999 (which was about the last year that had that shape of lipstick) was different and the boxes didn't state "NET WT/POIDS NET" etc. I've found a mascara box from that era (December 1999) and it simply says "6.5g [SIZE=+1]e[/SIZE] 0.23 US OZ"

The general style of the boxes was slightly different when this shape of lipstick was produced too yet the box shown with the fakes is a contemporary design even though the lipstick is old.

And there was my breakthrough. The [SIZE=+1]e[/SIZE] symbol seems to be one of the hardest for counterfeiters to reproduce accurately. Just look at Counterfeit eye shadows from Kent, UK on eBay - spiciesteve and compare the [SIZE=+1]e[/SIZE] symbol on the attached pictures of eye shadows and you'll see two different attempts, neither of which is correct.

The [SIZE=+1]e[/SIZE] symbol on the first picture I have attached below is definitely wrong. That was the "eureka" moment. From then on, everything made sense. Definitely fake.​
So there you have it. The most accurate product counterfeit lipstick I have seen with almost imperceptible faults but the packaging provided the final proof. I think I'll be talking to someone at M·A·C about this on Monday.

It's taken me about five hours to get to this stage but it was worth it
smiles.gif

The last picture on the right is a genuine Bronze Shimmer lipstick for comparison.

MAChostage

caffn8me, if there is (or ever becomes) such a thing as a "Forensic Makeup Expert" then you ought to definitely take up that field! Great eye and research!

caffn8me

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. I'm not at all amazing, but I guess that having had a scientific research background where spotting minute details can lead to major discoveries I like to be thorough just so I don't miss something important. Forensic science has always fascinated me too
smiles.gif

I like the challenge of solving problems and I won't let something like this rest until I've got the answers. I do it for a couple of reasons. It's very satisfying to be able to solve a problem but more importantly I absolutely hate to see good people lose hard earned money on fake products which may even be dangerous. It's just wrong.

mzcelaneous

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAChostage
caffn8me, if there is (or ever becomes) such a thing as a "Forensic Makeup Expert" then you ought to definitely take up that field! Great eye and research!

iagree.gif
If I ever have any questions re: counterfeit MAC products, you're the first one I'd ask!

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofdisaster
MCSI: Mac Crime Scene Investigation.
rofl.gif

Too funny!
lol.gif
!

Why not? There are sooo many CSIs now. Why not another? CSI: MAC!!!!

Caffin8me you are the lead female CSI, because you have super-human investigative powers. Who else is in this show?

caffn8me

Just updated my first post with some far better pictures which show the shape of the lipstick tip on the fake, the end of the box with an authentic looking colour name sticker and a far better pic of a real Bronze Shimmer with box.

I've also reported another dozen sellers to eBay for selling these fakes, many of whom have multiple items.

I suspect that many of the sellers genuinely don't know that the bronze shimmer they are selling is fake so I'm not going to name and shame the buyers. Just bear in mind that all Amplified Crème Bronze Shimmer lipsticks are fake.

ceelovejay

I just have to say that you are amazing, caffn8me! Thanks for posting with that. Who would have ever thought to look at the difference in the Es on the boxes. You probably did really well doing those "spot the difference" things, huh? LOL

caffn8me

I notified makeup.com that they were selling counterfeit lipsticks on 10th September 2006 and never received a reply.

I have just written to them again, this time copying the email to Estée Lauder's director of global security and brand protection who has responsibility for dealing with counterfeit M·A·C products.

We'll see how long it takes them to withdraw the fakes from sale.

Dawn

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAChostage

You've got that right!!
thmbup.gif
thmbup.gif

caffn8me

Well, that worked. Sending a copy to Estée Lauder and advising makeup.com that I had done so resulted in the product being withdrawn immediately and an email back from makeup.com and Estée Lauder too. Now if only eBay was as responsive!

caffn8me

Well, I've just obtained one of these lipsticks and all I can say is that it's nasty. The quality is so far below M·A·C that I'm amazed anyone would sell this believing it to be genuine. I'll see if I can get my sister to do some good photographs of this (her camera is way better than mine!)

mizzTruLe

I recently bought 1 of the mac lipsticks in that type of tube/packaging also. i forget what shade it was but are they all fake? the seller claimed it to be old packaging.

caffn8me

The quickest way to tell a fake lipstick from one in genuine old packaging is to look at the M·A·C logo around the metal part on the middle of the tube. On the fakes it's a sticker but on the real products it's printed directly on the metal.

Latest posts