On the pill - now when can I have sex?

SnowWhiteQueen

I just started taking the pill (alesse) and it says that I should use another form of protection for the first seven days. Does that mean I am good after that? Seriously? Seven days of taking the pill does not seem like a lot. Is that the norm? I don't want to take it for seven days then have sex and then get pregnant. After seven days can I have sex without a condom?

VeXedPiNk

If you are taking your first pill on the first day/Sunday of your period then yes, you can have sex seven days later without a condom. The pill prevents your body from actually releasing an egg into your uterus, therefore the period you have when you start will contain the last egg to be released until you stop taking the pill.

Do keep in mind though, you can still get pregnant on the pill
smiles.gif
HTH!!

MACATTAK

Agreed with the above. Though the chances are very small, you could still get pregnant while on the pill.

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeXedPiNk

Do keep in mind though, you can still get pregnant on the pill
smiles.gif
HTH!!

There is like 1% chance of getting preggo on the Pill if it is taken propperly. Never miss a pill and take it around the same time every day, and use a condom if you skip pills or you have diarreah or are throwing up or something similar. People who get preggo on the pill in most cases did not use it propperly, or have a medical condition that made it ineffective (in which case they shouldn't have been on it in the first place.)

Like any birth control method, you can always get pregnant if it's not used propperly. That's why it's important to be diligent about its use.

http://www.fda.gov/Fdac/features/1997/babyguide2.pdf

It irks me the bad rap the Pill receives due to human error and misinformation.

lara

If you have questions about using birth control, go see your doctor, Planned Parenthood, a licensed health practitioner or similar.

Don't see Dr Internet when it's something as important as birth control.

SnowWhiteQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
If you have questions about using birth control, go see your doctor, Planned Parenthood, a licensed health practitioner or similar.

Don't see Dr Internet when it's something as important as birth control.

I find this kind of rude. I have been to a doctor, obviously, since I have the pills and where I live you can't just go pick them up without doing so. I am just hesitant because I have never done this before, and am asking questions for other people's personal experiences, which I did not think was irresponsible of me - on the contrary, actually.

Also, the doctor said that the 1% of women who get pregnant is if 100 women take the pill for one year, one of those women will get pregnant, and that is also what is says in the pills. That seems like a lot better numbers than just saying "1%" like it is commonly talked about. Over the course of a year? Then it sounds really reliable. I just don't understand how some people use the pill and never get pregnant, and others do. How are you supposed to know what to do? haha.

user79

I think what Lara means is that if you want medically sound advice, the best person to ask is a medical practitioner. Getting advice on the Internet is good and all, but to be really sure, your doctor should be the person you turn to ultimately since they are licensed and trained in that field, whereas people on the Internet are not. I'm sure you can just ring up your doctor's office and they will let you know the best way to take it.
smiles.gif

As for the ratings, 1% means 1 in 100, so it's the same thing, just worded differently. Like I said, I also know women who have gotten pregnant on the pill, but they weren't taking it propperly and as diligently as you are supposed to, which causes it to be less effective, like any birth contol. For example, if you use a condom but don't put it on correctly, there's an increased chance you could get pregnant.

smiles.gif

labellavita7

My doctor told me this: You should use another form of protection for two weeks after you begin properly taking your pills. Properly taking the pills entails taking them at the same time every day. You are protected if you still take them every day, but they are more effective if it's always at the same time, a time daily that is convenient for you. My doc even told me to use another form of protection for the whole first pill pack just to be safe. (I didn't, I just did the two weeks) Better safe than sorry, I guess!

SnowWhiteQueen

Thanks ladies.

It just seems so complicated...I mean, so many people are having sex, so I don't understand why it is so confusing. Haha, I just wish it was all easier to understand. Maybe I am just overstressing because it is all so new. At the same time I really don't want to get pregnant! If you would use a condom and the pill (properly) is the chances of you getting pregnant pretty much zero?

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhiteQueen
Thanks ladies.

It just seems so complicated...I mean, so many people are having sex, so I don't understand why it is so confusing. Haha, I just wish it was all easier to understand. Maybe I am just overstressing because it is all so new. At the same time I really don't want to get pregnant! If you would use a condom and the pill (properly) is the chances of you getting pregnant pretty much zero?

The only way to have zero chances of getting pregnant is to not have sex (barring physical sterilization).

The best way to phrase it is that with correct use of the pill and correct condom use (you'd be surprised how many people don't know how to correctly use a condom) you're HIGHLY UNLIKELY to get pregnant.

CantAffordMAC

i was always told (with the pill) that it wasn't effective until a month after you start taking it. I guess I was wrong. lol

MACATTAK

I've been on the pill for many years, and nothing has ever happened. Granted I do take it correctly..never miss etc. I'm not trying to give the pill a bad rap or anything (especially since I'm on it), but since you asked it is still possible, slim as the chances are, there is a chance. If you used a condom too then you are almost double protected
smiles.gif
Like Shimmer said, nothing is 100% sure except abstinence.

dollbabybex

the pill im on 'yasmin' is effective the day you take it...as long as you take it on your first day of your period.

but then again,its more than likely im not goin to be having sex on my period!

most pills come with a little booklet or leaflet...just double check in there!

Bonbonroz

Some women get pregnant while on the pill even though they take it seriously because they're particularly fertile, and some never get pregnant even though they skip it sometimes because they're not that fertile, it's a question of physiology!
But as some said before, the only way to be sure is to be double protected! Or not to have sex...

MAC_Pixie04

Personally I waited until I went through a whole pill pack, and even afterwards I insisted on using a condom pretty diligently. Unfortunately now that I've experienced the difference of having sex without one, its tough for me to go back, but I know my body and there are certain times where I'll require him to still wear one just to be safe. But we both have been tested and I'm very careful about taking my pill.

VeXedPiNk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
There is like 1% chance of getting preggo on the Pill if it is taken propperly. Never miss a pill and take it around the same time every day, and use a condom if you skip pills or you have diarreah or are throwing up or something similar. People who get preggo on the pill in most cases did not use it propperly, or have a medical condition that made it ineffective (in which case they shouldn't have been on it in the first place.)

Like any birth control method, you can always get pregnant if it's not used propperly. That's why it's important to be diligent about its use.

http://www.fda.gov/Fdac/features/1997/babyguide2.pdf

It irks me the bad rap the Pill receives due to human error and misinformation.

I am quite aware of the percentile of women who get pregnant while on the pill. I just wanted to provide her with the most accurate information possible, as no form of birth control is 100% regardless of whether you are taking it properly or not. Please don't take offense to my post; I had no intentions of giving the pill a bad rap.
smiles.gif

Kuuipo

Generally the women who do manage to get pregnant on the pill have consumed a drug that can inactivate the pill-like some courses of antibiotics.
The pill will not protect against HIV, chlamydia,trichamonas, or any other veneral disease or Hepatitis B and C (incurable). If you are having sex with an unfamiliar partner or not sure of his hepatitis status, use a condom as well.

Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantAffordMAC
i was always told (with the pill) that it wasn't effective until a month after you start taking it. I guess I was wrong. lol

I was told that by two doctors as well.

NutMeg

I was told to wait a month as well, and my cousin who had a major that required a lot of drug research told me that some research indicates it takes almost three months to be fully effective. I guess it just depends how much risk you're willing to take. I wouldn't be too worried, you're probably using a condom as well anyway which adds an extra level of protection.

Evey

When I got on the pill, my doctor told me that I should be on the pill for at least a month to make sure that it started working. But even so, PLEASE don't be irresponsible and not use condoms. PROTECT yourself. You never know what the other person may have. There are diseases out there that you can't SEE. I know you probably won't listen to me but, just keep that in mind. Your long term health is way more important than "enjoying" a few minutes of unprotected sex.