OPI <possible counterfeit>

red

Apologies, I wasnt sure where to post this. I purchased an OPI nailpolish on EBAY (too lazy to look for it lol), once it arrived I noticed it was missing the top sticker with the barcode (all OPI nailpolish I've been told have 2 stickers,altough the top sticker, could have easily fallen off I'll grant her that).

One sticker with the barcode (and behind that first sticker the ingredients), and the bottom sticker with the name, blah blah.
The I DON'T KNOW JACQUES! from Ebay (the one with the red dot) was slightly darker then the one I bought at Ricky's today, fonts a little off, and the bottom sticker was missing the "." between the words. Not sure what to make of it. I've taken pictures of other OPI which I purchased at Rickys.

opi004.jpg

opi005.jpg

opi006.jpg

opi008.jpg

opi009.jpg

opi013.jpg

opi015.jpg

opi017.jpg

opi018.jpg

opi019.jpg

opi022.jpg

opi023.jpg

opi024.jpg

opi028.jpg

opi029.jpg

SparklingWaves

Do you think that the eBay seller just took off the "Peel Here" sticker with the tracking bar code? Everything, but the slightly darker color looks okay.

I have had pigments, lipsticks and nail polishes not be the exact same shade. I think they were not made at the same time or the company changed the formula slightly. I suppose storage temperatures and exposure to light could have changed the color a bit too.

Actually, in this case, the darker shade doesn't look bad to me.

If that's a counterfeit nail polish, I would not know it. I am not saying it can't be, but that looks so darn close to your other one.

User38

I agree with Sparklingwaves.. they look very authentic and similar to each other to me. I buy OPI, but am not so experienced at detecting a "fake" OPI. I too have purchased pigments and other products from Dept stores or counters, and have found that they can fluctuate in colors slightly -- like any fabric or dye can change in dye lots..
smiles.gif

panda0410

I can pick a fake pigment in a heartbeat, but I am not so sure about OPI....LOL!!

I have 2x Done Out In Deco that is super similar to this comparison - one has an internal angle to the jar, the other doesnt, one is ever so slightly darker than the other one. But I have to say that mine both came from the SAME seller, AND one has been opened/used - so its possible that the opened one has changed colour slightly or that the light is reflected differently through that jar since it has been used and is less full.

I dont know anything about the "." missing between the words? All mine have it, even the skewif looking jar has that.

I do have a YDKJ - and its identical to your store bought one for reference - mine came from ebay.

I had no idea there was fake OPI!!
shrugs.gif

MiCHiE

I've never in my nail-teching years seen a fake bottle of OPI. The font on the bottle is darker and the polish colors vary. Typical OPI.

red

I agree that there is color difference in the batches. However it doesnt change the fact the OPI logo in the front is different to the one purchased on Ebay. And, that there are missing dots between the words that go around the bottom label. I checked this at Duane Reade today by peaking at the under-label of about 20 bottles
th_LMAO.gif
and all had those dots.
Also about 90 % of the bottles had a serial number etched along either the right side or left side near the rim.

If anyone notices anything let us know, we can't lower our guard.

MiCHiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by red
I agree that there is color difference in the batches. However it doesnt change the fact the OPI logo in the front is different to the one purchased on Ebay. And, that there are missing dots between the words that go around the bottom label. I checked this at Duane Reade today by peaking at the under-label of about 20 bottles
th_LMAO.gif
and all had those dots.
Also about 90 % of the bottles had a serial number etched along either the right side or left side near the rim.

If anyone notices anything let us know, we can't lower our guard.

I'm holding a bottle of Midnight In Moscow in my hand that was purchased from Armstrong-McCall and it doesn't have dots on the second label. Again, I think typical inconsistencies.

panda0410

OK - I have just been to a blogger site - an AU nail techie and she has 2 bottles of FAKE OPI - shown quite clearly they have the right names but TOTALLY are the wrong colours. She labelled them very clearly as fakes, so it seems there ARE fake OPI.... yikes!!!
wtff.gif

lara

There is fake OPI out there but it mostly consist of standard line cremes and are mostly beige or red. They're fairly obvious to pick; the colours will generally not match the names, be misspelt or badly punctuated, and the stickers will use non-OPI designs or the old style sticker design.

There are minor variances between labels on products released between the first switch to 3-Free and now; there have been at least three sticker redesigns that I can think of straight away.
A colour variance of, say, 3-5% is fairly common in nail polishes. A polish at the beginning of a production run may carry fractionally more/less pigment than a polish produced two hours later on the same production run.