Opinions on "re-gifting"...

GlammySammy

Hey everyone! I had to share another story with you (Esp w/ the Holidays coming up and all too) and ask your thoughts and opinions... be honest!

So yesterday was my birthday and like every year for the four years my bf and I have been together, we get together with his parents on our bdays and go out have dinner etc. We come back to our place to open presents and I'll admit I was quite excited (who doesn't like presents?!) So I'm opening the gift and what do I find? A re-gift! I really don't mean to come across as ungrateful but it's the fact that I KNOW it's a re-gift... because I watched my bf's step-dad receive it from someone last christmas! To make matters more confusing... was what the actual gift was... Are you ready for this?! Wine glass markers (with golf things on them, golf balls, tees etc!) When you have a party and everyone is drinking wine, they hang on the stem of the glass to "mark" them as who's is who's. Which is a cool concept... yanno... for someone who drinks wine, and has wine drinking parties? Also came with a cocktails for dummies booklet... which I just don't understand any of this alcohol related stuff?! I don't even drink hardly ever! like EVER! twice a year is pushing it, seriously! lmao I feel so silly now that I've written it all out but it kinda made me feel awkward and embarrassed. I know it's the thought that counts but I have to wonder... What exactly was the thought they had in mind? Do they want me to drink more?!

So --

• Have you ever given a "re-gift?"
  • Have you ever been given a "re-gift?"
  • Have you ever been given a gift that was a tad...unusual ?!

pippa!

i've been given a re-gift - and i know it was a re-gift because i gave it to that person the year before! v awkward and i was hugely offended (but because they seemed oblivious i didn't want to cause a scene).

i've never re-gifted myself because i would hate for someone to realise - i'd honestly rather give something i didn't want away, and buy/make a separate present for someone else rather than recycle something i don't want.

luckyme

I am sure that I have been given re-gifts before and it doesn't bother me if it is something I could actually use. For example, if my sister was given a makeup brush set as a gift (she wears ABSOLUTELY no makeup) and she gave it to me for Christmas, I would be delighted. However, if she received a punch bowl set as a gift and re-gifted it to me, it would be ridiculous, I have 0 use for that. Keeping that in mind, I think that in my opinion, if you have been given a gift that has no use to you and you know someone that could for a fact get use from it, it is OK to re-gift. However, as the original poster stated, it is ridiculous to pass on a gift to someone that you know for a fact that they would not enjoy (wine charms). In that case, just give it to Good will or save it for a gag gift at a later time.

LMD84

yes i got a re-gift once. my mum's friend had told us a couple of weeks before my birthday how she had bought her daughter a paris hilton perfume set but she hated it. then when my birthday rolled around a couple of weeks later i got given the bloody perfume set! so not only was it a re-gift but also used!

bellaboomboom

My mother and her friend to it to each other ALL the time. At Christmas my Mom will get a gift from her and it's what my Mom sent her last year. They do this constantly - for birthdays too. WTF?????

LMD84

My mother and her friend to it to each other ALL the time. At Christmas my Mom will get a gift from her and it's what my Mom sent her last year. They do this constantly - for birthdays too. WTF?????

crazy!
blink.gif

GlammySammy

yes i got a re-gift once. my mum's friend had told us a couple of weeks before my birthday how she had bought her daughter a paris hilton perfume set but she hated it. then when my birthday rolled around a couple of weeks later i got given the bloody perfume set! so not only was it a re-gift but also used!
wow that's pretty brutal! I would pay to see your face when you opened it up! I have defo had things that I have bought that I just didn't end up liking so I gave them to a friend.. but NEVER as a gift.. just as a "here.. you like this? you can have it" lol

LMD84

yeah luckily i'm good at acting! so the initial face drop was replaced by a fake smile and a thank you! :p lol!

user79

Wrap it up nicely and give it back to him as a Xmas present. That will teach that cheap bastard. ;)

I'm not kidding, that's what I would do.

Hey everyone! I had to share another story with you (Esp w/ the Holidays coming up and all too) and ask your thoughts and opinions... be honest!

So yesterday was my birthday and like every year for the four years my bf and I have been together, we get together with his parents on our bdays and go out have dinner etc. We come back to our place to open presents and I'll admit I was quite excited (who doesn't like presents?!) So I'm opening the gift and what do I find? A re-gift! I really don't mean to come across as ungrateful but it's the fact that I KNOW it's a re-gift... because I watched my bf's step-dad receive it from someone last christmas! To make matters more confusing... was what the actual gift was... Are you ready for this?! Wine glass markers (with golf things on them, golf balls, tees etc!) When you have a party and everyone is drinking wine, they hang on the stem of the glass to "mark" them as who's is who's. Which is a cool concept... yanno... for someone who drinks wine, and has wine drinking parties? Also came with a cocktails for dummies booklet... which I just don't understand any of this alcohol related stuff?! I don't even drink hardly ever! like EVER! twice a year is pushing it, seriously! lmao I feel so silly now that I've written it all out but it kinda made me feel awkward and embarrassed. I know it's the thought that counts but I have to wonder... What exactly was the thought they had in mind? Do they want me to drink more?!

So --

• Have you ever given a "re-gift?"
  • Have you ever been given a "re-gift?"
  • Have you ever been given a gift that was a tad...unusual ?!

MACATTAK

I don't mind getting a re-gift, or giving a re-gift as long it is something I would use/ or the other person would use. However, IMO, the gift needs to be NEW!!! I've received a re-gift that was used before, and I just feel that giving or receiving a gift that has been used is really tacky.

The funniest gift I've ever seen received was given to my dad. He is a teacher, and one year an elementary student gave him a 3-pair of skimpy, animal print, underwear. Talk about awkward!!!! I just hope they weren't a re-gift.
wtff.gif

finchkittie

I personally don't mind re-gifting at all! If you can't use it (or take it back, for that matter), there's someone else who could. So if it doesn't make you happy, I see no harm in making someone else happy! I have re-gifted and have never had someone not enjoy their gift (unless they just hid it well). I don't know whether or not I've been re-gifted, but I think that's kind of the point. You obviously shouldn't give someone something used or in poor condition. It's still a gift, whether or not it's pre-owned, and therefore it should be in an acceptable state.

kaliraksha

I'm sure I've received a re-gift from someone who didn't intend to buy me something before at least once. I don't really mind if it is something I like or will use and it's new. Stuff like came over during the holidays to family friends or office party... people that are just trying to be nice it's hard to fault them, but it would suck if it was for someone that I put effort into a gift for. I've never re-gifted directly, but I have gifted new stuff I knew a friend would like that I originally bought for myself but realized I didn't need or shouldn't have purchased.

Mabelle

I'm SURE Ive been re-gifted from my aunt that lives in Singapore. Shes a big shot at her company and get stuff given to her all the time. Ever since she moved there, all we get for Xmas are these totally random Asian themed gifts. One year the entire family got Asia games t shirts in this weird shiny fabric. Last year my dad and brother got golf towels from the American club. I was getting a lot of random incense (that i was allergic to). Random ass stuff. Shes known for giving horrible gifts. Two years ago my dad got drunk at Xmas, and made a joke about it (in a loud voice) and my grandma was not pleased!!
This year, we decided to draw names. I made a facebook group so everyone could post what they wanted, so there wouldn't need to be any guessing or stress. I'm betting my cousin gets something completely random.

This year i plan on re-gifting one thing. I got a small body butter from work as a gift. I'm never going to use it, so I'm going to give it to someone as a stocking stuffer.

sparklemint

I'm too paranoid to re-gift, lol. I'm always worried that I might give the gift back by accident. I think though that re-gifting isn't bad, especially if the person you give it to has more use for the item than you do. I think an iffy area though would be something that the person put alot of effort into with you in mind, like something handmade. That's just me though.

X4biddenxLustX

I won't lie but yes I have a HUGE regifter!! I hate doing it but when your tight on money and your friends don't want to listen to you when you say LET'S NOT EXCHANGE GIFTS THIS YEAR, a girls gotta do what she has to do! I'm just really careful about it though to try to avoid making it so obvious that it's a regift. But I figured that there's no point in me having this stuff lying around my house and I might as well give it to someone who probably will actually have a use for it. I also tend to buy a lot of small little stuff and cute knick knacks which most of the time I leave the tags and packaging on since I have no use for them, and will give those out as part of a gift for someone.