Oral Contraceptives=Weight gain???

souraznhunnie

Do you believe that birth control pills will cause you to gain weight during the time you use them? I'ev experienced weight gain sine using it, but it could be from my job also since I sit on my butt all day long!

moonrevel

Definitely! The first time I started taking one (Ortho Tri-Cyclen) I gained ten pounds in a few months and then it leveled off and I didn't gain much more in the four years I took it. I stopped taking it for four months and lost the weight, and when I started again on Alesse, I gained it right back! It's a small price to pay to me, really, and a hell of a lot better than some of the horror stories I've heard about the contraceptive injection!

nphernetton

Its different for every person. I was on OrthoTriCyclen for about 3 years, I'm now on the NuvaRing. Neither made me gain weight at all. They also did not make my boobies bigger (bummer!), hehe

Cyn

I gained a lot of weight on it, almost 20 lbs, and I went off it. Any suggestions for an alternative? I'm thinking of going on bc again.

AlliSwan

I gained a LOT of weight also (about 20-30 lbs) on Ortho-Tri Cyclen LO (least hormonal of the Ortho pills), was nauseous for the entire first two weeks of pills every month, and lost any and all sex drive. I finally went off of them but my boyfriend really wanted me on BC so I talked to my doctor and am now on....[running to check] Microgestin and have no nausea, no noticable weight gain, and it has a SLIGHT bit of testosterone to balance out the estrogen so you don't get all moody and lose sex drive. I love it! Damn...Looking at the pills I realized it's going to be that time when my boyfriend comes back from a month in europe...and it was that time the day he left...SUCH GOOD TIMING GRRRR

AlliSwan

Also: I already have an extremely light period due to how active I am, but this pill has made it almost nonexistant. It may sound like a blessing to some, and I guess it is, but it was a little nerveracking for the first three months, having to keep going to the doctor and have her smile and tell me that yes, the pill was working, and no I wasn't pregnant, and yes, this is every girls dream...

Lo-Fi_Thriller

oh god yes alot of birth control devices makes you gain weight! i am using a IUD that dosent make u gain weight, the only problem you have with a IUD is it might puncture a hole in your uterus but that is a 1 in a 300,000 chance
smiles.gif
ill take my chances instead of gaining weight

moonrevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyn
I gained a lot of weight on it, almost 20 lbs, and I went off it. Any suggestions for an alternative? I'm thinking of going on bc again.

There are so many different pills out there now. When I started taking birth control five years ago, it seemed like everyone I knew took Ortho Tri-Cyclen, now I think everyone I know takes something different! I've switched from Ortho Tri-Cyclen to Alesse to Ovcon-35 (isn't that the best name ever for a birth control? It sounds like a military code: "Heather's having sex, general, better go to Ovcon-35!") and back to Ortho Tri-Cyclen, just because it was the best for eliminating PMS. But everyone's body chemistry is different, and the millions of pills on the market have different hormones in different proportions, and the side effects will probably be different for every pill in every person who takes them. I think the best thing to do is to just talk to your gynecologist. They usually have samples in the office, so they can give you a couple months worth to see how it goes, and then switch you if you don't like it. You'll stay protected from pregnancy in the transition, but it's your body and you have the right to demand that your doctor help you find the best pill for your needs!

All that said, there are other forms of birth control, including the patch, injections, etc., but there are also IUDs (which can be tricky because whereas most insurance companies will pay for contraceptive pills, they won't pay for these; some will, but you'd have to check). IUDs got a bad rap in the past for having potentially dangerous side effects, but they have come a long long way since then. Once inserted, many can be left in for 5 years and also significantly lighten your period. Once again, ask your doctor about the options, and if you don't like the way your contraceptives make you feel, speak up! No reason to suffer when birth control is supposed to, how shall I say it without being crass, create more happiness in your life than sadness!

foreveratorifan

there's also the Nuvaring!!

i'm a HUGE advocate of it, if it's comfortable for you! I personally love it and would not use anything else!

*former Ortho Tri-Cylen user*

Juneplum

omg
icon_eek.gif
do they ever cause weight gain! i'm on yasmin now and it's low dose.. so far so good.. hasn't caused any weight gain.. THANK GOD!!

nphernetton

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreveratorifan
there's also the Nuvaring!!

i'm a HUGE advocate of it, if it's comfortable for you! I personally love it and would not use anything else!

*former Ortho Tri-Cylen user*

I am right there with you! As I stated before, I was on ortho for a few years and am on NuvaRing now. It's SUPER DUPER. I cant even feel it, and its nice not having to remeber to take something every day. Now that I'm on the ring, I'll never go back to pills

souraznhunnie

thank goodness i'm not the only one who's experienced weight gain using the pill! lol, i seriously thought i was the only one because everyone i knew that was using it, they didn't gain any weight from it...i used to use ortho tri cyclen too but i don't think i gained any weight from it....

i started using Berlex Tri Levlen around that time i started gaining weight....man, now i know for SURE that it was all due to the birth control pills because in just ONE freaken month, i gained a whopping TEN pounds...

so did any of you experience any WEIGHT LOSS when you stopped using any birth controll pills? i would LOVE to get off the pill, but i like how my periods are lighter and i know exactly when my period will come..

Sanne

I was gaining a lot of weight whenI got on the BCP, but I think that was also because I was eating more, and exchanged my bike for my scooter.

I had a great one, called trinordiol (three fases pill) and the first week of pills always made me feel very sexy (or horny, whatever you wanna call it, lol!)

to bad I wasn't taking them right on time, and after 3x where I allmost was pregnant, I switches to the hormonal implant, which I have for over a year now. I love it, it's really easy! to bad I never experience the first pillweek-feeling
greengrin.gif

Jessica

I thought I might chime in on this one!! There are sooooo many different types of BCP's that there is bound to be one that works for each and every person. The trick is finding it!!
I LOVE my IUD, and as stated before there are some potential drawbacks
There are criteria that you must fit BEFORE you are even eligible to get one.
1) you must have given birth at least one time
smiles.gif

2) you must be in a monogamous relationship
3) never have been diagnosed with PID
there are more criteria I'm sure but those are the highlights
There are 2 different types: Paraguard "the copper T" which contains NO hormones and lasts for 10 years and Minerva which is impregnated with progesterone and lasts 5 years.
When committing to an IUD you have to be sure that you are willing to not get pregnant for several years. Sure you can have it removed and you can get pregnant once it's gone, but why go through the procedure and expense if your only going to have it in a year or so? The average cost is ~$200 for the insertion fee and ~$500 for the appliance. So again that reiterates the fact that the longer you have an IUD the more cost effective it becomes. And most insurance compaines will pay for it.
I've had mine now for 4 years and will be happy with it for the next 6. The first couple of months that I had it I threatened my DH that if I continued to cramp and have as heavy bleeding that he would have to get a vasectomy (ohhh, the fear in his eyes). But thank goodness it chilled out.
Some of the common side effects are increased cramping (not fun) and heavier cycles (like super heavy). In some women it gets better and in others it doesn't or maybe they spot constantly. THere are other risk factors: perforated uterus, the implant is expelled, and ectopic pregnancy to name a few.
So I guess the jist of my soapbox is: there are other alternatives to synthetic hormones, there are risks with everything, and research to find just the right thing for yourself.

moonrevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by souraznhunnie
so did any of you experience any WEIGHT LOSS when you stopped using any birth controll pills? i would LOVE to get off the pill, but i like how my periods are lighter and i know exactly when my period will come..

I had been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for four years, had gained weight on it, and within the first couple of months that I was off of it, I lost the weight I had gained four years before! I worried about the same thing (I wanted to still have lighter periods and know exactly when my period would come), but even after a few months, my periods were still pretty much the same and not as heavy as they'd been in say, high school. I don't know how old you were when you started, but I was 18 and had still been experiencing those horrible high school periods where they were heavy and gross and I never knew when they were coming, but I think as your hormones settle down when you're older, so does your period. Just my uninformed anecdotal opinion, but I think if you go off it, it won't be as down to the minute regular (I can pretty much tell you the hour my period is going to start on the pill, hehe) as on the pill, but still pretty regular.

souraznhunnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrevel
Quote:
Originally Posted by souraznhunnie

I had been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for four years, had gained weight on it, and within the first couple of months that I was off of it, I lost the weight I had gained four years before! I worried about the same thing (I wanted to still have lighter periods and know exactly when my period would come), but even after a few months, my periods were still pretty much the same and not as heavy as they'd been in say, high school. I don't know how old you were when you started, but I was 18 and had still been experiencing those horrible high school periods where they were heavy and gross and I never knew when they were coming, but I think as your hormones settle down when you're older, so does your period. Just my uninformed anecdotal opinion, but I think if you go off it, it won't be as down to the minute regular (I can pretty much tell you the hour my period is going to start on the pill, hehe) as on the pill, but still pretty regular.

oh gosh, you make me want to get off BC pills now! haha! i started my period when i was 11 years old (i know, YOUNG) and i'm 21 now. i actually stopped taking the pill last year, but only for 2 months and after i stopped taking it, it took me about a couple of months to get my period and my period was SO heavy....i guess it was because my hormones were out of control since my body was so used to being on the pill. well, this is going to be my last month for me to use the BC pills for now. i want to see if i will be able to lose any weight from not taking it anymore.

Bianca

I gained weight and now I'm on a new pill (Microgynon) I'm gaining weight again!!! Waaaahhh!!!

eyeshadowfreak

I was on Ortho-Tricyclen for 2 years and didn't have any real side effects. Went off it for a year, and when I went back on it, it made me so sick, but other than that it was fine, so I switched to Ortho-Tricyclen Lo and was fine.

No weight gain with either of them, but losing weight is easier for me when I'm off.

I'm thinking of going on Yasmin in the future - I know lots of people who have liked it. Then again, there's also the patch which seems pretty convenient!
smiles.gif

It really is all about body chemistry and everyone's different.

Shoe Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeshadowfreak
I'm thinking of going on Yasmin in the future - I know lots of people who have liked it.

I just started taking Yasmin im in my 2nd month. I didn't have a problem with my old pills nordette but I heard within the first 2 months of taking Yasmin you lose 7-10 ibs. Unfortunately I am in my 2nd month and I haven't lost anything
th_confused_new.gif
Maybe at the end of this month I will but I doubt it. I never had a problem with gaining weight from pills and I have been on quite a few different ones. The only problem I had on Yasmin is during the first 2 weeks it made me psycho!! I was an emotional bitchy wreck but once my body adjusted to it I was fine.

VaJenna

i gained weight, but i actually ended up losing a lot of it a few months later.

it made my boobies all nice and big too, thankfully those didn't get lost when i lost weight
winks.gif