Other retail places to work in makeup?

MACtastic

So...I basically screwed up at work today. Long story short, I mixed up my work schedules with Sephora and my other job, and I wound up being an hour and 30 min. late for my shift. Bad, bad move. I waited 20 minutes after my shift was over for my boss to be finished with her client so that I could apologize, but I don't think that helped my cause much. Anyways, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be asked to keep a permanent position, which makes me sad...I love working with makeup, particularily in a place like Sephora which concentrates so much on educating their employees on the products they are selling, and I really like working with multiple brands instead of just one. Oh well...I'm on the hunt for another job, and I could really use some suggestions on places to work...places where you've had a really great experience with. Anyone have some ideas?

kaliraksha

I don't have any suggestions because I've never worked in makeup. Wish I had. However, don't be so hard on yourself. Everyone makes mistakes and you apologized too. I know lots of employees who have done worst and kept their jobs. Just in case, good luck in the job hunt =)

prinzessin784

If this is the first time you messed up your schedule then it's not grounds for you to be fired so I wouldn't worry about it too much. They can't really fire you for being late one time. If there is another reason then well that's a different story, and you could always try applying at a makeup counter in a department store since you do have some experience working at Sephora. Department store counters aren't as hard to be hired at as a freestanding store because you apply through the store itself. I hope that helps and good luck!

Marci

Sorry to hear about your situation! Hope everything works out...but I agree with prinzessin784, try applying at a department store counter.

MACtastic

I just snagged an interview with Macy's for sales in cosmetics. Anyone have an experience with them?

Jennybella

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACtastic
I just snagged an interview with Macy's for sales in cosmetics. Anyone have an experience with them?

macys is ok.. I know youve got to stay in your position for a year at least before transfer
ssad.gif

pale blue

Quote:

I used to work at Macy's full time, the people I worked with were great, however I feel that Federated as a company is not. Be prepared to open 2-3 Macy's credit cards a week for your customers (if you're full time, 1-2 if you're part time), crazy sale/holiday hours, and expensive mediocre medical benefits (being eligible for them after working there 6 months!). If you have any other questions about Macy's, feel free to ask me as I worked there over 5 years.

Are there any other department stores in your area besides Federated-owned ones? I highly recommend applying to those before accepting a job at Macy's. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but just figured you should know a bit about the company first.

prinzessin784

I worked as Macy's for a while too and I'm not a big fan of the company. They just don't seem to value their employees as much as they should. My bad experience also had a lot to do with the fact that all the cosmetics ladies were complete bitches (I worked in Fragrance, which is in the cosmetic section) and I couldnt' stand them, especially Estee Lauder! Damn, those women were so catty and childish! Unfortunately my Macy's doesn't have a MAC counter
ssad.gif

Vernita

Well, hoping to get a job with MAC at a store, I didn't know then what I've found out the last 2 weeks that you can't get a job with MAC by applying directly to the store. Anyway, to get into makeup since I have my license, I applied to all the local store and Macy's was the one that hired me. The are NOT a good company to work for. After starting in October part time, they came to me the week before xmas while I was helping a customer to tell me to come to the office to fill out papers - they stated they had no record that I was an employee and needed me to fill out all the paper work again - but I was getting a check and was able to clock in/out every day! They are also not sympathetic. I had another beauty advisor at another counter whose mom was diagnosed with cancer. She called to say, the first day her mom had treatment that she was still at the doctor's office with her mom who was getting radiation and was not going to be able to make it in my 6pm but 8pm at the earliest. She was told she would be written up and that her absence was not acceptable!!!!!!!!!!

amoona

Which Macy's did you get an interview at? The one in Serramonte has a MAC counter but they have a super long list for free-lance interviews ... yay for me being on the list! But they have a Dior counter too and my friends who worked at Dior (back when I worked in the Juniors Department) loved their counter. There used to be this really mean horrible Cosmetics manager but I think she's gone now. Also if you like working with multiple lines you might want to check out Ulta. There's one in Tanforan. I don't know anyone that works there but they seem to be attempting the same idea as Sephora.

MACtastic

I applied to the one in Hillsdale. My other non-makeup job that I'm hoping to quit is in Serramonte, and I can't stand the clientele there.

I really don't like Ulta except for their salon stuff haha. None of the girls seem to know anything about makeup.

MACtastic

I had my interview at Macy's yesterday, and the group screener is having the cosmetics manager call me back for a 2nd interview.
Question: what's a good estimate of the usual hourly wages at Macy's cosmetics? (I don't need the hourly that you got lol, just an estimate)

pale blue

Quote:
I had my interview at Macy's yesterday, and the group screener is having the cosmetics manager call me back for a 2nd interview.
Question: what's a good estimate of the usual hourly wages at Macy's cosmetics? (I don't need the hourly that you got lol, just an estimate)

As far as I know, Macy's has started to hire people at lower wages in the past couple of years. I guess you could expect anywhere from $7-$10/hour as a beauty advisor plus either 3% or 5% commission depending on the line you work for. EL, Lancome, Clinique, Fragrances, etc. = 3%, Smaller lines like Px, Dior, Shiseido, etc. get 5% commission. Counter managers get a higher hourly, plus commission and an override of the counters monthly sales.

amoona

From what I know from a friend that curtainly works at Macy's Lancome counter she doesn't make commission and she makes $12.50/HR. I perfer non-commission because commission has screwed me in the past (long story).

noahlowryfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale blue
As far as I know, Macy's has started to hire people at lower wages in the past couple of years. I guess you could expect anywhere from $7-$10/hour as a beauty advisor plus either 3% or 5% commission depending on the line you work for. EL, Lancome, Clinique, Fragrances, etc. = 3%, Smaller lines like Px, Dior, Shiseido, etc. get 5% commission. Counter managers get a higher hourly, plus commission and an override of the counters monthly sales.

the wages is also depending on where you live.

ebonyannette

Wow thanks so much for this thread. I have a group interview with Macys on Tuesday. I dont think I will be wasting my time! Im gonna cancel it.

NikkiHorror

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale blue
I used to work at Macy's full time, the people I worked with were great, however I feel that Federated as a company is not. Be prepared to open 2-3 Macy's credit cards a week for your customers (if you're full time, 1-2 if you're part time), crazy sale/holiday hours, and expensive mediocre medical benefits (being eligible for them after working there 6 months!). If you have any other questions about Macy's, feel free to ask me as I worked there over 5 years.

I agree, 100%. Federated needs to work on some things as a company, but the people you work with are AWESOME. The thing about higher end stores is that they are GREAT as far as benefits, high hourly pay and commission, etc, but the people you work with a are BUTTHEADS! There's always a trade-off, so it depends on what's more important to you: money or being comfortable at work and making friends.

Sephora, Victoria's Secret, the Aveda store or Origins store would probably be the best bet; the middle ground for the checks and balances in the cosmetics retail world.

Latest posts