Outsmarting the exchange?

Septemba

It seems like makeup can get so expensive in Oz. I'm kicking myself for not buying up big overseas when the exchange was so good.
thmbdn.gif

Has anyone ever tried outsmarting the exchange by ordering from overseas with any success? Any advice?

sambibabe

Even with the current exchange rate, I still choose to order from overseas. I order more than just a couple of items to cover the shipping though.. This doesn't apply to ebay purchase. All my buys are either cp (don't pay extra for the goodies & shipping) or BNIB stuff from the clearance bin.

redambition

if you're ordering for yourself, then do the maths for the particular products and work it out - remember to include shipping and parcel forwarding fees. Sometimes you'll save, sometimes the saving is so small it may not be worth it.

panda0410

Try to remember to include different state taxes as well, some are more than others.

Be careful with shipping etc, I recently looked at a quad, the same quad was available here but after shipping was calculated it was actually cheaper to purchase AU than US even with AU shipping included in the purchase price.

I bought quite a lot when the rates were comparable, but my spending has dropped considerably since our dollar isnt a strong as it was earlier this year and I am much more careful with my purchases.

sweetbabyblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambibabe
Even with the current exchange rate, I still choose to order from overseas. I order more than just a couple of items to cover the shipping though.. This doesn't apply to ebay purchase. All my buys are either cp (don't pay extra for the goodies & shipping) or BNIB stuff from the clearance bin.

Or organise with a few other people to do a big order and split the shipping costs
smiles.gif

simplyenchantin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbabyblue
Or organise with a few other people to do a big order and split the shipping costs
smiles.gif

That's a great idea! I want Chill, DE and BBR if anyone is up for it hehe
greengrin.gif

usha

I always buy my MAC from the US website and use a mail forwarding service. I make it worth the cost by also getting shoes, clothes etc from other US websites so the overall savings is quite high

it also means that i sometimes buy things that i never intended on getting in the first place!

oh and i always place a mail forwarding order with a friend - works out heaps cheaper that way!

Hope that helps

CatsMeow

Quote:
Originally Posted by usha
I always buy my MAC from the US website and use a mail forwarding service. I make it worth the cost by also getting shoes, clothes etc from other US websites so the overall savings is quite high

it also means that i sometimes buy things that i never intended on getting in the first place!

oh and i always place a mail forwarding order with a friend - works out heaps cheaper that way!

Hope that helps

I would end up spending so much doing it this way!
mac_haul.gif

Heheh. Not sure whether I should use this method... could be deadly. heheh.
I too wish I had bought more MAC in the states and KL, but I wasn't as in to it back then as I am now. GRR.

vocaltest

butting in.... jeez, i really didn't realise how expensive mac is in australia. i knew everyone complained about the price but i didn't realise it was THAT much. £15 for an eyeshadow! They're just under £10 here. the exchange rate is crappy for us now too. everything from the US used to be half price.

PinkFluffyDice

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyenchantin
That's a great idea! I want Chill, DE and BBR if anyone is up for it hehe
greengrin.gif

I'm up for it!! I'm in melb too

sambibabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_bailey
Im going away again in July! London and NY, hello Sephora!!

OMG!! NY
th_drool.gif

Repunzel

Quote:

i'm so jealous,sephora is the first thing id go to aswell lol

sambibabe

miss_bailey, I do Yoga and Pilates, so I can quietly sit in your luggage for a couple of days... Did I tell you I am also toilet trained?
greengrin.gif

myystiqueen

Quote:

aahhh hannah....

me want a CP........ ^^

Latest posts