Over the counter, drugstore products for mild acne

Jessie

I have recently had an outbreak of acne, particularly on my chin and my forehead. I generally have ok skin, always have a few spots here and there, but I don't think it's too terrible to warrant seeing a dermatologist. I'm not sure if I could afford it anyway.
th_dunno.gif

I was wondering if you girls could recommend me good products, like spot treatments, for acne? I've been wanting to try Mario Badescu but the average reviews on MUA is totally putting me off purchasing it.

xStarryEyedX

honestly, i'm not a fan of any product that gets rid of a pimple by drying it out. anything with the word acid or peroxide is a no thank you in my book.... unfortionatly most drugstore brands (that i've seen anyway..clearsil, neutrogina, etc) use these as their active ingredients.

i dunno, personally i'd rather be a bit more gentle to my skin than to dry it out... i've seen awesome results with that natures cure stuff. not on myself, but i mean it was major. it sounds like these may be hormonal. so- just take care of your skin. don't start piling crap on with tons of drying ingredients (esp this time of year!!)if you can do something outside of drugstore i highly recommend bare escentuals blemish therapy. it's amazing....

they'll go away. just takes time and consistancy.

Jessie

Thanks for the advice xStarryEyedX. You're probably right! I think I am just desperate to see results because I am at wits end with my skin.

NatalieMT

You should make an appointment to see just a general doctor if you can, might be cheaper and they'd probably be able to prescribe you a cream/medication that'd acheive the result you want. I always struggled with my skin and seeking professional help was probably the best thing I did because I gained a lot of useful tips and eventually a solution. I did have to pay to see a dermatologist eventually, think it was about £120 but his advice was perfect. You could try some other products before resorting to that though, if you feel the acne doesn't warrant it at the moment.

I know in the UK you can buy a pharmacy strength product without a prescription called Freederm. It contains nicotinamide and that's clinically proven to reduce the inflammation, tenderness and redness in the spot. I know they also now make a facial wash/exfoliator and moisturiser. My sister has used it in the past, she had some mild acne and it definitely helped. Maybe you could search online or see if there is a similar product in the US.

On that note I'd really recommend starting a good, consistent skincare regime. Decide on a brand, drugstore or high end it doesn't matter and use a particular line of their products targeted at acne, because ultimately the ingredients are designed to work together, you see the difference. I use Elemis skincare and it is pricey but it's SO worth it, I'm glad I invested. I think looking upon it as an investment for nice skin in the future helps me get over the money aspect. The feel and look of my skin is so much better since I started with their products and it's only been say 6 months.

widdershins

I really like Neutrogena's Oil-Free Acne Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment (whew that was a long name!) It's the only thing that keeps my breakouts under control and doesn't dry my skin out. HTH!