Overkill? Is there such a thing as being TOO prepared?

So, I'm a very get it done, get what I want kind of a woman and I've decided I want a to be a makeup artist at MAC. I updated my resume and wrote a killer cover letter using a photographer's format for both, sent it in on Friday and got a call (a voicemail) for an interview this Monday morning. I haven't spoken with the HR person yet, but hope to tomorrow to schedule an interview for Tuesday morning, the 15th of April.

SO, I'm organizing a little makeup party (8 to 9 people) from about 5 pm-10 pm this Friday night to get some practice in application, color choice, speed and spiel/product & program conversation. I plan to make sure all skin tones are present from pale to dark, asian to latina/chicano to black, plus at least one man. I think I'll do a few day looks that can be transitioned to night looks, some dramatic/runway looks and a couple artistic/costumed looks. I also plan have an amateur photographer to take before and after photos of each look, day and night photos, etc.

I'm thinking I'll use these photos to assemble a portfolio, and do face charts for each look I do on my "models."

I'm headed to MAC tomorrow to update my colors/get palettes for my looks and buy a whole set of brushes so I can completely familiarize myself with each one in name, number and usage. Of course I'll also chat with my fave artist.

Basically, I don't want to leave any room for the possibility of not getting the job. BUT, is this overkill? Will the lady interviewing me look at me like I'm crazy?

A little background on me: All my makeup experience is self & MAC store taught (as a customer). I have 3 years sales experience and makeup (specifically MAC) experience as an exotic dancer. Basically, I learned by trying a wide variety of looks and techniques on myself and my co-workers (at work and in personal life) BUT I don't have any formal training or cosmetic retail experience. As saleswomen, if I don't sell, I don't eat (or rather maintain my lifestyle) so I'm pretty good at meeting metrics with a smile.

ALSO, I'm booked for a few fashion shows this summer, working on an indie film and planning on doing makeup at some stripclubs in the area, so I don't mind building my kit BUT obviously it would be financially better to do so after either getting the Pro discount or getting the job.

So, what do you think guys? Buy a whole set of brushes and memorize the number and uses? I really want to know what I'm talking about and think hands on is the way to go. Portfolio is definitely a yes, but are accompanying face charts overkill?

Interview outfit: Benneton tailored black blazer, long black short sleeved top, big metallic waist cinching belt, immaculately fitted tailored black pants, black patent prada loafers or 3 inch heeled bcbg ankle boots, silver wrist cuff, diamond studs in ears.

Hair: Big sexy spiral pin curls, off the face.

Makeup: not sure yet, thinking deep pink/magenta metallic, purplely smokey eyes, pinkish contoured cheeks, with nude pink lips.

User49

I think leaving the video tape would be a bit too much. I got a job with Mac in February and started in march. THey are looking for people who will fit in with the team, are really enthusiastic about the products, know how to apply various types of make up and be friendly and approachable to the customers. I think the video tape thing might freak em out a bit (no offence). Just 'be cool'. You have the enthusiasm and the love of fashion. Just literally be yourself. Learn about the basic five mac social initiatives and a bit about the company and how it started. And be confident, but friendly. They don't want people who are dead serious about every little thing. They are a down to earth company. Don't worry too much. Do what you need to do to feel that you are ready for the interview. Bring a portfolio of photos of make up that you have done and maybe some ideas about how you can reach sales targets. Good luck! Xx

lara

Short answer: yes. Just relax and chill out.

I've circular filed applications from under-prepared people, but I've also binned applications from hyper-prepared people who I just knew would rub my team the wrong way as well as climb up management's nose.

anjelik_dreamin

I'm just a uni kid with zero connection to MAC, but I think in any career there's a fine line between prepared and coming across as being pedantic and uptight. I would definately emphasise your retail experience and your effectiveness at pitching a sale, but I don't think you need to run and out buy all their products. Just maybe do a little reading on here to familiarize yourself with the brushes and products in general and practise different techniques.

Also, I was just wondering if it's a good idea to dress so business-y to your interview. I don't know what the standard is, but the MAC MAs at my counter, though always looking sophistocated and glam, kinda have a more relaxed style. I have noooo clue what interview subjects would wear in this industry though...so maybe wait for the people who have basis for their opinions.
smiles.gif

Thanks for the feedback folks :)

Excuses the neuroses. ODed on caffeine which for me means I had half a Red Bull and 2 diet cokes on Sunday night so I could stay up after work and write a paper. I never have caffeine or anything else in my system so that's enough to keep me up for a few days.

I think I'm probably trying to overcompensate b/c while I've done makeup for a couple years, I'd never really thought of myself as a makeup artist or tried to pursue it.

So, RELAX! Do bring a portfolio, don't go overboard (i.e. skip the face charts and DEF skip a video). Don't buy the whole damn brush collection 'cus they don't expect me to have every single one memorized, but do have a working knowledge and do what I feel like I need to be prepared. Maybe lean more to the funky side with the outfit . (It's the all black thing that's throwing me a bit, but I'm looking forward to having fun with it :)

baybehbekah

when i was preparing for my mac interviews i did purchase some mac eyeshadows & sampled a few foundations just so i could get the feel for everything. my mac collection wasn't as big when i first started interviewing, because i had worked for other lines before & had to have wear their stuff
smiles.gif
but i didn't go over board, just enough to make a full mac face. don't worry about the brushes right now, they wont expect that of you. pretty much what everyone else said, review the brand and get excited! good luck! & keep us posted
smiles.gif

Bernadette

I for one love the Face Chart idea! I would put them in the portfolio. No video though! What you have in most likely a verbal interview. At a demo you will get more of a chance to show your product knowledge and skills.

chocolategoddes

I personally don't think there is such a thing as being TOO prepared. If anything, they'll see that you really want the job and are putting so much effort into it. I don't think you NEED to do all that stuff, but if that will make you comfortable then go for it.