Packing your MAC?

sel00187

I'm going away for eight days in July and all these new packing rules...you can only have see-though bottles, it cant be over a certain weight etc... how on earth do I take my MAC with me on holiday
hmm.gif
as I'm going for 8 days, i'm obviously going to want to try out different looks so how much do I take and what do I do? :confused:

prinzessin784

If I were you I'd only bring what's absolutely necessary. Maybe a quad with some versatile eyeshadows that you can mix and match, mascara, a couple lipsticks/glosses, and go out and buy a drugstore tinted moisturizer or foundation so you don't have to risk your nice stuff getting broken. Wrap everything individually in plastic bags and then put it in a snugly packed makeup bag. Wrap the bag up in your clothes and place it in the center of your suitcase.

As for a carry on, really all I'd risk is a tube of lip balm. Do you makeup before you leave if you're not going straight to your hotel so you will feel confident for the rest of the day. Good luck and have a great time on your trip!!!

Aussiechick28

I just recently went back home to australia for 2 weeks and i took most of my MAC. I have all my shadows in palettes which made it a lot easier. 5 Paletes is a lot more streamline than 75 + pots of shadow!

I think the packing rules that you are talking about only apply to carry-on items, not to checked in baggage. The total weight restriction (ie. 50 lbs) does still apply however.

If you haven't already, i would suggest putting some of your shadows into palettes. I also always try and transfer anything in a big bottle to the smaller 'travel' size bottles that you can get at drugstores.

juicyaddict

you can hand carry your dry makeup, only restrictions are on liquid ones like foundations and lipglosses for example. you can only bring one 3oz container of each and they must be in a quart sized ziploc bag. So if you are concerned about your eyeshadow palettes, you can hand carry those, but your lipglosses need to be checked in if you have more than one. HTH.

Krasevayadancer

If you take a look at sephora's website, they have a section on "airline approved beauty" if you want to model after what they have there
smiles.gif

Juneplum

i just came back from vegas, and i took everything in my carry on without a problem.. (gloss, lipsticks, shadows, wipes, evian mist etc.) just make sure that no fluid is over 3ozs and u will be fine!

Beauty Mark

I packed my stuff in a checked suitcase before the restrictions. Just make sure lids are on tight and put liquid products in plastic bags. If the bottles are glass, make sure you pack every with lots of soft padding (clothes) around all sides.

I've never had anything break or spill.

BlackBeauty

Well, I would guess from the use of the word "holiday" that you aren't in the US. The restrictions for liquid products are a lot tighter in Europe-->England because that's where all of the liquid restrictions started in the first place. So, please check the restrictions for your airport and airline before packing.

Also, there's tons of variation in how airports in the US regulate these things. For example, LAX doesn't really care (I had lots of lip gloss in my purse), but San Diego airport does (They were giving out plastic zip locks at the security line), as does Irvine/John Wayne and Ontario. In Portland, it depends on the screener(one lady let me have a full bottle of water, and another guy took my Strobe...). O'Hare security folks are total tight asses about this stuff, but Midway doesn't really notice. I haven't flown to NY area lately and the last time I flew in the Bay area was the day before all of that stuff happened in England last August, so I can't speak to either of those areas. So, be sure to check before you lose any valuable items. I saw one lady at O'Hare who was coming from France and going on to Denver who was having a tissy fit because they were making her throw away some face caviar she had gotten in France.

I've had good luck with checking my makeup... so far... Just make sure to do what people have said so far- pack as little makeup as your creativity will allow, put clothes around makeup. And don't double up on similar products (You don't need club AND blue brown pig) and try to pack versatile things (Orange shadow is a great blush for me). Also, sample sizes of things are great; if something happens to it, it's no great loss. 1 of those mac sample jars of SFF lasts for about 2 weeks.

xSazx

It's just carry on's your restricted with isn't it? Can't decide if I wanna pack my makeup or keep the majority of it with me..

JediFarfy

I'm getting ready for a trip this month, and most things are fine to take with you on the plane. I'm going to pack everything I won't need to touch up in my check luggage and just take with me on the plane my basics.

Lipglosses should be fine. If you look at how much they weigh, you'd need 18 MAC lipglasses to exceed 3 oz. so I wouldn't worry about them (unless you need that many on a plane and in the airport). :p

Here's a link to see what is and is not acceptable: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

BlackBeauty

Also, it's not about 3 oz in a general sense. It's about containers that exceed 3 oz. Aparently, you need a container that holds 3.2 oz to make a bomb, so that's why the cut off is for containers of 3 oz.