palette question and opinions

mac-me-up

I'm debating whether I should depot my shadows (I have around 10 and am slowly building my collection.)

Help!?:

1. Which is better - quad palettes or the 15 palette ?
2. If quad, do you pair similar colors together or do you do a combo of a highlighter color, midtone, darker tone, etc. in one quad so that if you travel, you don't have to lug all of them around with you?
3. Is the 15 palette hard to travel with?
4. I read the depotting section, but do you have any additional tips for depotting?
5. And finally,the MAC counters don't sell palettes; where do I find them?

Thanks a bunch!

thelilprincess

i recommend the 15 palette - i love love love having so many different options so i like to keep this in my travel make-up bag. i consider buying a quad to make it easier to tracel with, but then i would only have those 4 colors to work with. even if you don't buy all 15 colors now, you can always add to it. i even got my sister to buy the palette today - she'll find it's worth it over the little pots and quad. and i have all different kinds of color in my palette and try to keep colors that work well together near each other. once i get more colors, i'll probably do a purples palette, greens palette, etc. you can see how i currently have mine set up here http://specktra.net/showthread.php?t=73508 - the MAC MA help me set it up when i bought mine, just to make it easier for me to know what colors work well.....but don't limit yourself - i find that i use colors together that aren't close together on my palette.

the 15 palette is much easier to travel with - i can find my colors better than the little pots.

i haven't tried depotting, but there are some threads here with different methods from using a candle, oven, flat iron, clothes iron, etc. use the search button for it.

you can buy the palette from the stand alone MAC stores - i don't think the ones inside dept stores carry them (at least i haven't seen them there)
smiles.gif
hope that helps.

MiCHiE

I recommend a 15, also. Some ladies use a lot of quads for shadow "looks". I switch up colors too much for that. I have one quad and it's particularly useful for my 4 highlight colors.

pakman

I like the quads better because the lids are clear. It bugs me to have to open several palettes to find a certain color. I also think they are better for traveling.

courters

I like the quads better because I can see through the lid. Also, my collection isn't that huge yet (I only have 4 quads, will be getting another soon) so the 15 pallettes seem a little like overkill.

I organize mine based on color, but whenever I am traveling, I will reorganize and put 4 shadows that go together into one quad and just take that.

Taj

If you are preparing for a huge collection (honey, it actually will anyways), get the 15. Its just the size of a very thin book ! Easy to travel with. The quad won't give you too many looks. PLUS you do not have to Glue the pans to the palette. Transport your faves to a quad when you want to travel light !

Conclusion : Store your collection in a 15, and prepare an empty quad for travel!

mac-me-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj
If you are preparing for a huge collection (honey, it actually will anyways), get the 15. Its just the size of a very thin book ! Easy to travel with. The quad won't give you too many looks. PLUS you do not have to Glue the pans to the palette. Transport your faves to a quad when you want to travel light !

Conclusion : Store your collection in a 15, and prepare an empty quad for travel!

I never even thought about popping them out and putting them in to a quad for travel.....what a GREAT idea!
clap.gif

And, you're right my collection will get huge so may as well go for the 15.

juicyaddict

I use quads. I organize them by collection (say barbie, moonbathe, strange hybrid), or by color. I also organize them just like the premade quads, I put a highlight, crease, and 2 lid colors there. I like the ease of using quads when I get ready in the morning, I just pick up a quad or 2 and I am good to go. I also have quads for basic highlight colors, and a quad for neutrals. Also I store my quads in my bathroom vanity drawers where space is limited for quads. I have about 15 quads now.

saj20052006

I agree with everyone that's commented.

15 Pans are great if you have a large collection and like alot of variety.
4 Pans are great for travel and pack with 2 lid colors, a crease and highlight.

The Pro Pans are cheaper than the pots, however you can depot the pots and use for B2M.

For quick easy access, I personally prefer having a quad handy versus a 15 pan that you can't see through. It's a pain when you have tons of shadows to choose from.

PeachyKeen

I prefer the 15 pallette for freelance jobs and my own personal use, but for travel, quads work best. When I travel, place those round or square cotton pads in between the shadows and the lids to add a little xtra cushion so they don't break now that airlines are so strict on what you can take in your carry on.

me_jelly

I like the quads better - They are clear and it's much easier to locate a color. Also, it's easier to travel (especially since you can place the quads in small places if you've already overpacked). Also, it's great to make your custom eye "looks" in the quads.

One reason I dislike the 15 palette is the vulnerability of most/all of the eyeshadow shattering during an accident - I thought such a thing would never happen but my friend recently broke most of her shadows in her 2 palettes due to an accidental fall.

The 15 palattes may be better for storing if you have a big collection and like everything in one place though.

MisStarrlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj

This is exactly what I do. I have 854,204 15 palettes (ok, not really that many) all organized by color & 1 empty quad.

Since I don't really apply makeup on myself outside of my house I keep the colors I use the most in the quad-Shroom (highlight), Cork & Folie (eyebrow colors) & Carbon.

I like it that way so that the colors that I use every day are always handy & it helps for when I need to pack my makeup in a hurry (when I'm going somewhere overnight I always forget to pack until the last minute).