Paris court decision affecting MAC on ebay?

Ok so Im not sure if this is the right place to put this and if its not, I am sorry. Its not a counterfeit issue so i didnt think it went there.

I was recently trying to bid on an a MAC item and it said

"
Dear User:
Unfortunately, access to this particular listing or item has been blocked due to a Paris commercial court decision that bans trade of certain authentic perfumes and cosmetic products on eBay because of French selective distribution laws. eBay is appealing this ruling but is nevertheless required to enforce it. We are blocking your viewing in an effort to comply with this court decision. Regrettably, in some cases, we may prevent users from accessing items that are not within the scope of the decision because of limitations on existing technology.
Thank You.
Hit the return button to return to the previous page."

I thought it was just one item but it appears to be all MAC and even maybe all makeup items. I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this. Thanks.
I did not have this problem this weekend but today, all of a sudden, it occurs.

It would really be a bummer if all selling of makeup on Ebay was discontinued.

panda0410

Yep, this happened a while ago actually. I *think* it applied to ALL cosmetics and fragrances and ONLY on FR ebay. No other ebay sites are affected by this currently. It does put stop on trade which is a shame, and really FR ebay wasnt the worst for counterfeiting which it could have assisted with, especially on other sites (HK, CH, AU for example) but counterfeits were not the catalyst in this issue.

JustDivine

They were an issue, hence why L'Oreal and others brought a case against eBay in the French court. Perhaps not as much of an issue as in other jurisdictions.....but L'Oreal is French so maybe that's why it started there....

X4biddenxLustX

Ohhh... but why would that affect the sale of ALL cosmetics and fragrances there though? I know L'oreal owns quite a bit of companies but not every single one of them though.

JustDivine

Because it's a legal precedent about the sale of certain items as a classification, not individual companies/brands. L'Oreal brought the action but the case is argued on the basis of a type of product which is allegedly covered by exclusive distribution agreements. This is not a new issue, but is gathering pace in recent years...I'm sure we'll see more effects of this in relation to other products, and in more countries too as time goes on....