Paypal/Sale question...

AudreyNicole

I hate to bother you guys with this, but I don't know who else to ask. I posted a makeup sale on another community, and I had someone ask me to invoice an paypal address (that didn't belong to her), but then was told that the girl who owns the paypal account would give me another address to send the makeup to (the address of the girl who requested that I invoice her friend's paypal). Then I was asked to screen the comment due to the email address. I am very unsure. I am worried that the money request will be paid, and then reversed or something, after I have already sent out the makeup. Do you think I have reason to be paranoid? I hear stories about this sort of thing all the time, and I don't want to be a victim. Any suggestions on how to handle?

TISH1124

I am not sure....Because I have some things billed to my Mom's account all the time or my husbands....I would think her friend would have to okay it since you have to have a password to log into paypal...But then again I am honest and I know there are a lot of dishonest people on ebay...But if they pay via paypal and use the correct password to log in I don't see how they can deny the charge....It does sound fishy with the screening of the comment...I think I would put the person's name that made the request in the comments regardless.

gildedangel

It is hard to tell if you are being taken advantage of or not, but it sounds like a common situation. I could see people using thier friend's paypal accounts. As long as you are paid, I don't see any problems with it. Paypal also has lots of safe guards to protect the buyer and the seller, so I wouldn't worry about it too much yet.

NeonKitty

I'm suspicious that they want to pay you with a hijacked account and send it to an address they can receive it at (ie: not the victim's address). In this situation I would only send it to the address attached to that paypal account, because I'm not sure paypal would cover you if you send it to a different address. This is a very common ebay/paypal scheme, using a stolen account to pay, and have the goods shipped to them.

Tell them you will only sell when the shipping address matches the paypal address. If they want to bitch about it, tell them you have given them ample opportunity to pay for the item in a staightforward manner, and are not obliged to bend over backwards for them. Then thell them the item will be put back up for sale.

NeonKitty

From googling, the concensus seems to be that shipping to an address that is not the verified paypal address is not covered by paypal protection. If a buyer wants an alternate shipping address, they can add a gift address to their paypal account. It's apparently a common scheme for buyers to ask to send it to a different address and then claim they never got it, and you end up with a judgement against you.

AudreyNicole, the good thing about paypal is that it insures your transactions whether you're purchasing something or receiving a payment for goods or services. The only problem is it will only do that if you send it to the confirmed address listed with that paypal account. This is why a lot of eBayers will only send items paid through paypal to their confirmed paypal address.