Pharmacy Rant

xtiffineyx

It sounds like there's some favoritism going on then. I would tell them to shove it and find a better job somewhere. If it's interfering with your health then it's not worth it. I think they take you as being sweet and nice as a chance to step all over you, which is a shame. I would take the time to write up a letter as to why you're quitting and in the letter tell them your going to contact the BBB. And actually contact the BBB so they can have someone come and investigate, because it does sound like they're doing it to get around the law.

melozburngr

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtiffineyx
I don't know where you live, but I know in some states it is illegal for un-certified pharm techs to even be messing with the prescriptions. That being said, I've also heard of stories of stores like Rite-Aid, CVS, etc, that train workers so they can go take the pharm tech test. (I'm currently in school for Pharmacy Tech). Maybe thats the other employees plan, and thats why they're letting them mix prescriptions. If that's not the plan, and he's just letting them mix prescriptions because he's understaffed then I think a complaint needs to be filed. Thats very very dangerous, and irresponsible.

So glad someone commented on this. It mildly worries me that my prescription might be filled by a HIGH SCHOOL KID. Too many medicines interact badly, and its too easy to mix them up.

kaliraksha

I just want to offer my sympathy. I've worked Customer Service in a high volume call center for both Sony and a Technical Support company. I had to quit that entire industry of work even though they are very flexible with my student hours because I hated waking up every morning to go to work... I would work less than I needed to just to not work. My advice to my friends still in that industry who talk about their jobs the way you do... start saving some money and looking for another job.

I earnestly believe every single person should somehow have to work in Customer Service for at least 6 months of their lives... it's extremely busy, stressful, crappy pay and people are just not nice.

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by melozburngr
So glad someone commented on this. It mildly worries me that my prescription might be filled by a HIGH SCHOOL KID. Too many medicines interact badly, and its too easy to mix them up.

Well there are many steps in the procedure of filling a prescription. Pharmacy techs sometimes get the wrong strength or medication altogether...mistakes happen. The pharmacist is the absolute last person who checks the prescription and checks to make sure the right medicine and strength are there. As far as mixing prescriptions...that is something that would be brought to our attention before the prescriptions would even be processed to be filled. The computers let us know about drug interactions, allergies, etc.

BTW, the 17 year old boy who works there is awesome. he is on point with everything, super smart, knows his stuff. I'd trust him 100% with any of my prescriptions...it all depends on the person I guess. For his age and everything especially....he may be the most competent one in the entire pharmacy. And I am not exaggerating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliraksha
I just want to offer my sympathy. I've worked Customer Service in a high volume call center for both Sony and a Technical Support company. I had to quit that entire industry of work even though they are very flexible with my student hours because I hated waking up every morning to go to work... I would work less than I needed to just to not work. My advice to my friends still in that industry who talk about their jobs the way you do... start saving some money and looking for another job.

I earnestly believe every single person should somehow have to work in Customer Service for at least 6 months of their lives... it's extremely busy, stressful, crappy pay and people are just not nice.

Yes, i do agree that everyone should have to work in customer service. people just suck! And i absolutely hate going to work everyday. its awful..(btw, I love your signature. I make commas my bitch
lol.gif
)

Simply Elegant

You shouldn't have to put up with that. They should be offering to help you when it gets that busy. You shouldn't have to help 2 people at a time just because they don't want to come out to help you. I really do think you should quit. It'll be worthwhile down the road, especially if you can cut back on any extra expenses you have now while you only have 1 job if you quit. As for people yelling at you, if they call you a dumb bitch, you don't have to help them. Get someone else to do it altogether because you don't deserve that type of treatment. If someone just has a bit of a bad attitude, well just try to let it roll off your back. I try not to let anyone I don't really care about ruin my day and this sort of helps me when I have a really difficult customer.

Sanayhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantAffordMAC
I am probably going to go to be a waitress (which I know will suck as well, but its more about the money right now)

I looooooove waitressing. I think it's fun. Also, can be very good money. I miss it.
ssad.gif

Brittni

Honestly, when you say that they "leave you alone (to fend for yourself)" I really think it's more of you LET them leave you alone. Sure, you yell a little bit for help but most of the time you just fall victim and overwork yourself, right? I think that in your case instead of just griping about it to other people you need to go directly to the source and really have a serious talk about it. I'm sure if you told them the breaking point (of quitting) that you are at, they might reconsider letting you help in other areas and making sure they get more people to help with ringing people up.

Goodluck.

carrieann07

I have never worked in a pharmacy or a health related field, but I can still relate. I worked the ticket office for many Charlotte, NC venues(Lowes Motor Speedway, Time Warner Cable Arena, and the BILO Center) They would alternate me to each venue when a certain high profitable act would come, like if the speedway was having a NASCAR event or one of the arena's were hosting a WWE event. I have never been screamed at over the phone so many times just because they were put on hold, didn't get the seat they wanted, the venue was sold out, etc. So trust me I feel ya. By the way I was told that the reason I was always put on the most "profitable/popular" events was because I "handled" the situation better than most people.

th_LMAO.gif

melozburngr

Quote:
Well there are many steps in the procedure of filling a prescription. Pharmacy techs sometimes get the wrong strength or medication altogether...mistakes happen. The pharmacist is the absolute last person who checks the prescription and checks to make sure the right medicine and strength are there. As far as mixing prescriptions...that is something that would be brought to our attention before the prescriptions would even be processed to be filled. The computers let us know about drug interactions, allergies, etc.

BTW, the 17 year old boy who works there is awesome. he is on point with everything, super smart, knows his stuff. I'd trust him 100% with any of my prescriptions...it all depends on the person I guess. For his age and everything especially....he may be the most competent one in the entire pharmacy. And I am not exaggerating.

I guess what I'm thinking is the mixing up of pills that are similar in name, or appearance, not mixing prescriptions that have fatal or serious interactions. I understand mistakes happen, but I guess if it were myself, or my parents, family, etc. lives on the line, I'd much rather have someone with more experience doing the job, someone with formal training, etc. That stuff is risky and complicated. Granted, my prescriptions (all three of them) are allergy meds, while there may be no interactions, etc, someone could fuck up and give me a wrong dose, a wrong pill, etc, which MAY interact seriously with a medication that the pharmacy knows that I may take- but it wouldn't show up in the computer because it is believed that a completely different script is being filled.

The 17-year-old guy may be great, he may be on point, etc.. but he is STILL young, STILL unexperienced, and STILL has a large margin for error- especially if y'all are as busy and understaffed as you say.

Just my 2 cents.

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittni
Honestly, when you say that they "leave you alone (to fend for yourself)" I really think it's more of you LET them leave you alone. Sure, you yell a little bit for help but most of the time you just fall victim and overwork yourself, right? I think that in your case instead of just griping about it to other people you need to go directly to the source and really have a serious talk about it. I'm sure if you told them the breaking point (of quitting) that you are at, they might reconsider letting you help in other areas and making sure they get more people to help with ringing people up.

Goodluck.

Thats true...I'm so nonconfrontational that sometimes I just give up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melozburngr
I guess what I'm thinking is the mixing up of pills that are similar in name, or appearance, not mixing prescriptions that have fatal or serious interactions. I understand mistakes happen, but I guess if it were myself, or my parents, family, etc. lives on the line, I'd much rather have someone with more experience doing the job, someone with formal training, etc. That stuff is risky and complicated. Granted, my prescriptions (all three of them) are allergy meds, while there may be no interactions, etc, someone could fuck up and give me a wrong dose, a wrong pill, etc, which MAY interact seriously with a medication that the pharmacy knows that I may take- but it wouldn't show up in the computer because it is believed that a completely different script is being filled.

The 17-year-old guy may be great, he may be on point, etc.. but he is STILL young, STILL unexperienced, and STILL has a large margin for error- especially if y'all are as busy and understaffed as you say.

Just my 2 cents.

I can see where you are coming from...nobody wants that risk. I can just say from my experience....I've never seen that happen with the younger kids that work there. And I know what you mean by it not showing up in the computer because a different prescription is supposed to be getting filled.....But there are numerous times where you have to scan the bottle of medicine into the computer while filling....so if you scanned the wrong dosage, or medicine...the computer would immediately let you know. I'm pretty sure I understand you correctly..if I'm still not getting something, please forgive me
winks.gif

MissDeViousDiVa

I'm sorry you have to deal with this.
ssad.gif
I can't stand people, especially people in manager positions and stuff like that who play the favorites game. I would quit if you're having chest pains because that ain't worth it. Or at least speak up about it at work and see if things can change around there.

If these people don't have the common sense to realize the place is busy and they need to go help out someone who needs it (and is ASKING FOR IT), then I wouldn't trust them to have the common sense to deal with my medicine, or anyone elses for that matter.

babiid0llox

Gah! Your situation sounds so much like mine except when I used to work at McDonald's lmao. I don't have really much advice right now as I drank 2 cans of V, 1 V Black and 2 Red Bulls since the afternoon. But yeah I ended up quitting and literally not giving a sh** about my job (my first one) as it was just getting too much with the CRAZY customers (as ours was near the train station and near several entrances in a very busy mall which people literally make days out to go to if you know what I mean) and certain mean co-workers and the EVIL managers. But yeah I was in a very similar situation except with different tasks and of course different setting but I ended up losing my temper with the nice customers which I felt so bad for, losing my voice all the time, getting sick cuz of people's icky germs LIKE HELLO IT'S FOOD, simply not showing up to work or showing up late, going off at people that were not pulling their weight and just simply hating getting up in the morning during school hols.

This may not apply to you but it's going to EAT YOU UP INSIDE. I used to think that I was just being silly and it's just a job and stuff. I worked there for about 6-7 months and only 2 or so times a week depending what time of year it was but seriously I am literally AFRAID of going back to a retail job...which is pretty bad as that's one of my main options for the next few years. I'm serious I can't even walk past there..and i always need to be in that area, I have to take like 8 mins extra to walk the whole way around...I am traumatized...I'm not joking.

Sorry my post wasn't very inspiring or helpful or anything...I like Red Bull
smiles.gif

Shimmer

Quote:
Thats true...I'm so nonconfrontational that sometimes I just give up.

I can see where you are coming from...nobody wants that risk. I can just say from my experience....I've never seen that happen with the younger kids that work there. And I know what you mean by it not showing up in the computer because a different prescription is supposed to be getting filled.....But there are numerous times where you have to scan the bottle of medicine into the computer while filling....so if you scanned the wrong dosage, or medicine...the computer would immediately let you know. I'm pretty sure I understand you correctly..if I'm still not getting something, please forgive me
winks.gif

tooooo many times I've seen and heard of people (myself included) getting the wrong meds. I really don't trust that system. :/

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
tooooo many times I've seen and heard of people (myself included) getting the wrong meds. I really don't trust that system. :/

Apparently, I can't blame you. I was working last night and I was filling a lady who was waiting....I was filling her Sertraline (which is what, Zoloft)...I put it in the pill counter and counted out 45 pills (there turned out to be 47 pills instead...happens all the time) So I was of course going to take the two extra pills out of the vial and give her the correct amount--45 pills. the technician working alongside me decided to grab a vial and finish off that same prescription...so I grabbed it from her and said "No, that has 2 extra pills in it" And she continued to label it, telling me "Yeah we don't have time for that"

Needless to say, I grabbed it from her and said "THERES 2 EXTRA PILLS IN THERE!" Liiike....where the hell is your mind that you mess things up like that? Thank goodness she wasn't 2 pills short but geez. This is the first time something like that has happened in my experience
oh.gif

NicksWifey

I feel for people who work in pharmacies...Rite-Aid, CVS, Walgreens, whatever. Usually, I've encountered really nice people, but I had to deal with a bitch on wheels who fucked up my thyroid medication. I'm only supposed to be on a certain mg of the product and she gave me 20 mg's more than I usually take. When I went back in and confronted her about it, she was so cold and snotty. I wanted to reach across the counter and shove my bottle of pills up her ass.

BabiDoll2185

I 100% feel for you b/c I used to work for Eckerd (now Rite Aid) as a cashier then pharmacy tech. As a cashier I was abused just like you and after telling the manager 5,000,000 times I decided putting in my two weeks notice was my only option. The day I was ready to say forget this job I'm done in two weeks, the regional pharmacy manager was in and questioned why someone like me (I pointed out a serious error in a prescription before the customer received it) wasn't in the pharmacy. I had to train and take a test (not the State exam but was set to take that as well). I saw first hand being a pharmacy technician how frequently people screw up. It seems like common sense because although a certain branded prescription may have 5 different strengths, each prescription has an NDC so its pretty easy to match up the script to the NDC but regardless, the techs did sometimes grab the wrong thing, probably because they were rushing. Thankfully the pharmacist would catch all (or at least all while I was scheduled) of the mistakes before they went out. I also hear you with having to deal with the customers. Customers would yell at me all the time for the prices of prescriptions as if I was the one who chose the price. It can be a frustrating place to work but I hope it all works out for you!!

By the way...we NEVER used the pill counters...we found it quicker to count by hand considering how inaccurate the pill counters were.

Anyway...best of luck to you!