phone interviews in the US

eulchen

Hello!

As you may know from my introduction post, im from Germany. I have recently applied for an internship with an organization in the US and, to my surprise they were interested!
smiles.gif
Now I have a phone interview coming up soon. Problem is:

I have never ever in my life...

1. done a proper job interview. (until recently only worked for my dad or the same company were i really clicked with the manager, therefore an interview was almost unnecessary back then)
2. done an interview over a phone.
3. and of course, never done an job interview in ENGLISH.

umm, yeah. i know i can speak english pretty fluent (i might be a little bit rusty as i havent been to the UK for 6 months) but im a little scared by the american accent and that i will talk senseless stuff. i have now gotten me some advise from people whove been there, done that, and im currently making a list of all the things i wanted to point out, tell bout me and such stuff.

what id like to ask you guys, as most of you are from the US:
i know that americans are more "relaxed" in most situations. the fact that until now i just know the first name of the woman whos going to call me shows (among other things)
but is there some sort of etiquette for US phone interviews? whats a no-go? whats normal and what should i be prepared for?

thanks for any advise you can give me!
smiles.gif

Dizzy

If it's like a "standard" interview, they'll just ask you questions like why did you apply for this job, what skills can you bring, what do you expect from them as your employer, what you're looking to get out of the job/internship and just basic "getting to know you" questions.

Also, if it's for an internship, it might be a little different because all of my mentors have asked for both a resume and a transcript (I was doing it for credit though). I've had them ask me questions about my major (why did you chose it, what do you hope to do with it, are you planning on continuing your education after you get your degree, why are you graduating early, etc.) and about the college itself. Those I suspect they really didn't want the answer to, but rather they wanted to see how I answered them- that I didn't pepper my speech with "ums" and "ahs", I gave the questions some thought, etc.

Again, that's just my experience, I'm sure other people here can offer theirs too.
smiles.gif

I've only interned for American institutions, but my professors are used to sending students all over the world for study abroad/internship programs. They've always told us that when interviewing with Americans, you'll be remembered if you're upbeat and friendly, because as a general rule, Americans love happy people. Overseas, though, they (my professors) tended to stress the polite and professional image to us since as similar as we are, Americans definitely are more laid back at times.

I'm sure your interview will be fine. Phone interviews, imo, are the easiest kind of interviews you can have. Let us know how it goes!
smiles.gif

eulchen

thanks for your reply.

i will definately make me a list for these regular "getting-to-know" questions, so that i wont forget something, also it should help to have a cheat sheet with english words in front of me...
lol.gif

eulchen

i think i was awful... i was stuttering, i think i interrupted her two times (maybe even more
ssad.gif
) and didnt mention half of the things i wanted to say, which would have been positive, but instead said some things i wished i hadnt now...

well see how it turns out...
ssad.gif

Dizzy

Hindsight is always 20/20. And remember- the people who interview you know that you're going to be nervous, especially since English isn't your first language (I'm assuming you don't speak it daily) and the internship isn't in your native country.

Give yourself some credit here- they were interested enough in you to give you the interview, maybe you gave them even more info to consider you further.
smiles.gif

Beauty Mark

Send a thank you note. Focus on the positives and find a way to loop in some of the things you wish you would've said

eulchen

thanks, guys!
smiles.gif

i have sent her an email yesterday night. she has asked me to do some tasks for her and she wants to call me again... so maybe she is really interested...
smiles.gif

i guess ill just have to wait and see. and if i dont get it, ill just apply somewhere else...