Photoshopping pictures of your work

paperfishies

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, Mods please feel free to move it if you think it would be better fitted somewhere else.
winks.gif
Also, I looked around a little and didn't see a thread like it, so I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate thread.

So, on another board that I'm a member of there was recently a big debate over whether or not it was ok to photoshop the makeup looks you post on forums, in the "LOTD or Show your face" sections.

I'm of the opinion that I think it's silly to do so, when you're posting a picture basically saying, "hey look at my awesome makeup skills!" I'm talking about girls making their skin look perfect, cleaning up any mistakes made with liquid liner, etc. When the chick is asked, "oh your skin looks great what do you use?" rather than say, oh I photoshop my skin to perfection, they go on to say, "I use studio fix foundation and benefit concealer" blah blah blah. It's like lying. To me it's like sayin, well hey, I suck ass at applying makeup but I am a whiz at using photoshop! To actually smooth your skin out, color correct it digitally and fix mistakes you made with makeup...Just seems like lying, when you post a picture and say, "hey look what I did with my makeup!"

It bothers me because these are probably the same girls who bitch and bitch about how airbrushed and digitally retouched women are in magazines and how no one can live up to that standard of beauty.

Of course the thread got locked like all mildly heated debates on that forum, so not a ton of opinions were shared on the subject and I would like to know what the girls and guys of Specktra think!
th_wink3.gif

ForgetRegret

I'm not so sure about photoshop...I don't have it, I don't use it...but it does seem a little bit silly to photoshop the crap out of yourself when you post FOTDs. That being said, I do tweak my pictures a little before I post them, but it's pretty much just trying to adjust the color, brightness, etc, to make the photo look as much like my makeup did IRL. My camera isn't the best, and sometimes I use my phone, so the pictures wash colors out, and things lose their vibrancy...so I'm guilty of editing my pictures, but not to blend things, or make my skin look better, but to enhance and try and show you what the makeup looked like in person.

gildedangel

I can definetly see where you are coming from but I see nothing wrong with photoshopping pictures - to an extent. I don't think that it is fair to photoshop it to the point in which it doesn't look anything like what it was originally, but I can see the merits of cleaning it up a little bit.

The only time I personally photoshop pictures are when the colors are not showing up true to life in the picture; I try to make it so that the colors show up as they do in real life to be more accurate if that makes sense. I will also delete a noticeable pimple if I have one, but I don't bother with small imperfections as my lighting tends to wash them out anyway.

I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to be civil and kind in expressing their opinions on this thread, everyone's opinion is valid and important even if you don't agree with it.
smiles.gif

paperfishies

I can totally understand trying to fix the lighting and things like that...I think that is perfectly fine. It's just the chicks who make themselves look as close to perfect as they can, then act like they did a flawless job with makeup, is what gets to me.

I think I'd even be ok if they put a disclaimer when posting the picture, "I had a gigantic, disgusting zit that I didn't want anyone to see, so I cropped it out." I think even this is 100 times better than just posting this perfect, digitially enhanced photo, then soaking up all the "OMG you have perfect skin" comments.

NutMeg

I don't have any objections to photoshopping, because sometimes it really does enhance the picture... And I love looking at pretty pictures. However if there is photoshopping done, I think the poster should said so, and roughly what they've done so we know what is makeup and what is photoshop.

Skin*Deep

I think adjusting lighting or stamping out pimples is totally fine..when you get into digitally adding lashes or extending shadow, or adding cheek color, then it is getting a little deceiving.....I would not however assume every picture with perfect skin is photoshopped. take everything with a grain of salt....unless you can find a way to prove what is altered and what is not you'll never really know how much of what you are seeing anywhere is 100% unedited.

LMD84

i don't really have an issue with it. surely if somebody did photoshop their fotd to 'fix' it and completely change the look of the make up then they're just cheating themselves and they'll never get accurate feedback.

photoshopping to correct colours or getting rid of pimples though is fine. if the editing still looks true to what you originally did then i see no issue at all.

personally i don't photoshop my pics. i try and take them in all kinds of lighting to get the most true to real life colours. but i know alot of people might only take piccies when it's darker light (early morning or evening).

Willa

IMO, I don't like seeing photoshopped FOTD's
Doesnt show the real skills of the person, I consider it kinda like cheating
lol.gif

But that's the way I see it
winks.gif

Cinci

I don't see anything wrong with Photoshoping pictures in some situations. If say, you are posting a photo of the eye makeup you did to show off your blending skills, and you use photoshop to fix the crappy blending job you did, then I don't think that's fair... But some stuff makeup cant hide - pimples, moles, facial hair, etc... I don't think that there is anything wrong with someone photoshopping stuff out that they don't like, so long as what they are photoshopping out isn't the main focus of the photo.