Pigment Jar Bottom Labels

Sonya Adams

Could someone give me info on older Pigment Jar Labels???

One of my friends wanted me to check out her collection and I noticed a few older pigments with date codes but no names. I also saw different color/writing styles on a few and thought they looked a bit odd.

All of mine have silver with black writing with the name and then the color on the middle of the sticker or clear with black writing, same way.

A few of hers are:
  • JUST a number (white on a black sticker)
  • White name then color on black sticker
  • Clear sticker with number
  • and I noticed one - can't remember the colors though - where the number was on top of the name
Are these fakes? Old stock? Labels I just don't recognize? Help me out here... two of them she JUST received from eBay sales and we're both wary of because of the label (no boxes received).

Sonya Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by halocaustic
I'm pretty sure the white number on the black stickers are fake

That's what I thought, too... I've seen some on some glitters, but never on a pigment. Still curious about the others. For instance, her Aire-de-Blu has the number stamped above the name (and the name is printed, the date code is stamped, but it appears to be correct and just like mine, only with the date in the wrong place!).

ilovexnerdsx

pro pigments have clear labels. as long as they have some form of name, they should be legit. pigments have what are called 'batch numbers' on them..these usually are a letter followed by two numbers (ex: A97). that isn't part of the name but rather a way of telling when the pigment was made. i don't believe any pigments have numbers in the name though...could you give us an example?

i am about to do a lot of swatches, i will take pictures of my pigment labels and post them soon
smiles.gif

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by halocaustic
I'm pretty sure the white number on the black stickers are fake

Yes, I've attached a picture below of a fake label

pigmentlabel.jpg

csuthetaphi

I have 2 pigments jars and both of them have black labels on the bottom of the jars, with just the color written on them. There is no batch number. Could these be fake too?

DaizyDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by csuthetaphi
I have 2 pigments jars and both of them have black labels on the bottom of the jars, with just the color written on them. There is no batch number. Could these be fake too?

that sounds like its fake.

csuthetaphi

The odd thing, is they are both the same color and the pigment jars looks exactly alike each other. However, they look a little different from the current pigments I have, so I am wondering if they are just older batches. But I am starting to think they are fake too.

caffn8me

You'd really need to post a picture of the jar label and the jar front. There were a few pigments that M·A·C made that had no batch code on the bottom - just the colour name. It's possible that these are from that period. How long ago did you get them?

shiel

i'm starting to think i've bought fake pigment from ebay.. i thought it looked odd but wasn't sure because it was one of my first buys and i can't check it from the counter since mac isn't sold in finland. i'll take pictures and you experts can tell me wheter it's fake or real thing

edit: here are the photos

mac002.jpg

mac003.jpg

mac004.jpg

Xqueeze_me

Hmmm.. I wonder if these are fake or real? UGH.. Help! Bought this from an ebay seller in Australia for $15 each. Bargain or Duped?

Fakies.jpg

I'm definitely SURE that the Pink Vivid A07 is FAKE because of the colour number!

Look at the pictures in this post.

The boxes (except for the one on the top right corner) are definitely fakes but could the Golden Olive/Dark Soul pigments be authentic?

Please verify this for meeeeeeeeeeee! Thank you!

ExquisiteImages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xqueeze_me
Hmmm.. I wonder if these are fake or real? UGH.. Help! Bought this from an ebay seller in Australia for $15 each. Bargain or Duped?

Fakies.jpg

I'm definitely SURE that the Pink Vivid A07 is FAKE because of the colour number!

Look at the pictures in this post.

The boxes (except for the one on the top right corner) are definitely fakes but could the Golden Olive/Dark Soul pigments be authentic?

Please verify this for meeeeeeeeeeee! Thank you!

They're all fakes.

ExquisiteImages

By the way, Pink Vivid is a pro color so it should have a clear label and not a gray label.

For Dark Soul and Golden Olive, the batch numbers imprinted on there is wrong. It's usually only slightly embossed on there and not printed on the label. I hope that makes sense.

tadzio79

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
You'd really need to post a picture of the jar label and the jar front. There were a few pigments that M·A·C made that had no batch code on the bottom - just the colour name. It's possible that these are from that period. How long ago did you get them?

I got a couple of jars that have names but no batch codes - Rose and Old Gold. I've compared swatches and they seem legit, but don't know for sure. Do you happen to know which pigments had no batch codes that are legit?