Pigment Pressing Gone Wrong - Help??

Guinevere

Hey :)

I've been pressing some pigments lately and one of them went horribly wrong. I'm talking about "Noctural Plum".

The pics are clickable and you can see what I mean. It literally cracked into these little pieces.

I used 70% alcohol and I used this method with other pigments before and it was no problem.

Any ideas why that happened? May it be because of the matte consistency/finish Noctural Plum pigment??

Any of you experiences with that?

Would be grateful for suggestions!!

malaviKat

I believe you need to use something that contains dimethicone to press matte pigments as they're a different texture than the others. EnKore on Youtube has a video about this... I believe he uses Face and Body mixing medium. You can use other things like EZ Press from Coastal Scents.

(FYI I haven't pressed any matte pigments so this is not based on personal experience.)

Guinevere

I have the EZ Press, but I wasn't so happy with it, so I changed back to the alcohol method, but maybe the matte's need that really. I'm going to try it again with it.

DirtyHarriet

To be honest, I've never had much luck with matte pigments. The Encore method left them so hard that they were impossible to use. I never get that creamy shadow texture.

dietcokeg

This has happened to me before - basically - crush all the eyeshadow up again so its fine and loose - and i usually use 90% alcohol - makybe the 70% isnt making the bond strong enough? press its on with a coin covered in cloth and it should work! hope that helped somewhat - if all else fails - which i sincerly hope it doesnt you can just use it a a pigment!