• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

Pigment pressing tutorial (loaded with pic)

Judymomocoa

Tools:
#1. Claire's 21 e/s palette
#2. knife
#3. spatulas
#4. push pin
#5. 3" c-clamp (at hardware store or biglots for $2.99)
#6. empty Vasine bottle (i saved mine after it was empty)
#7. 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol
#8. wet wiper or kitchen towel
#9. denim patch
#10. Coins (quarter)
#11. MAC pigment
#12. fan brush (the brush is for dusting & swiping away excessive pigment, the tip works as stirrer, i bought mine at local craft store for $2.99)

1.jpg

3.jpg

Part I: DEPANNING
Step 1. Stratch off eyeshadow with knife
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Step 2. Effortlessly dig out the pan using push pin, the glue isnt that sticky
8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Step 3. Cleans with wet wiper.
11.jpg

Part II: MIXING PIGMENT
Step 4. Transfers rubbing alcohol to empty vasine bottle.
12.jpg

Step 5 .Fills the desired amount of pigments into the pan with spatula.
13.jpg

Step 6. Starts filling the pan with 3/4 full of pigment but not fills up the pan full with pigment, add more gradually after alcohol is mixed, this is to prevent overflown of the pigment while stirring. Add about 10-15 drops of rubbing alcohol using vasine bottle, only adds enough alcohol to let the pigment soaked in the alcohol.
14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Step 7. Stirs the alcohol & pigment mixture with the tip of the fan brush, MUST mix them thoroughly!
19.jpg

21.jpg

Step 8. Set aside and let it dries at least 2 hours

Part III: PRESSING PIGMET
22.jpg

Step 9. Using c-clamp method, place 1 quater on the top of denim patch and insert them to the surface of the pan, then 2nd quarter at the bottom of the pan, starts pressing it for at least 5 minutes
23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

Thanks for looking!
I hope y'all ENJOY

missBOMBcheLLe

Re: X-posted pigment pressing tutorial (loaded with pic)

thanxXx so much 4 posting this judy! i've been wondering what to press them together with... i have 70% aLcohoL... wiLL that matter? or shouLd i get 91%?

MACATTAK

Thanks so much for this! You make it look easy! Just a few questions though: how much does the Claire's pallette cost? Also, do I have to let the shadow dry before pressing it with the clamp, or just do it right away? Thanks
smiles.gif

user79

Awesome. I do it pretty much the same way, but I just use my thumb and some paper towel with a coin to press the pigments down.

JGmac

Does the alcohol have to be Isopropanol, or can I use ethanol or methanol instead? Is a higher concentration of alcohol better, or should there be more water content?

I can't wait to try to press some pigments!

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGmac
Does the alcohol have to be Isopropanol, or can I use ethanol or methanol instead? Is a higher concentration of alcohol better, or should there be more water content?

I can't wait to try to press some pigments!

I'm not sure about the 1st part of your question, but the higher the alcohol content, the faster it will evaporate and dry. I've pressed pigments with 90% alchohol and it worked, I guess alcohol with 70% or less would just take longer to dry. In anycase, I just let them airdry overnight before pressing.

JGmac

Thanks, I wasn't sure if too high of an alcohol content would be damaging to the chemicals in the pigment. Thanks for the great info!

missababe

Gah I need to try this with my helium pigment lol.

For some reason I can't get that one to press right...

::runs to Dad's house to steal c-clamps::

1165Cheryl

Hi,
I've always had problem applying that color (helium) which is too bad because it is so pretty. Many of my buyers say the same thing but a few were able to press it which then worked much better for them.

juicygirl

OMG THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR THiS TUTORiAL...i THiNK THAT THiS WiLL DEFiNiTELY MAKE APPLYiNG PiGMENTS MUCH EASiER!!

igswonderworld

Hey I am not sure if this is the right thread to post this, (and I'm really sorry if it isn't) but does anybody know if you can press mineralized eyeshadows? Two of my flashtronic e/s crumbled so I kept them in tiny jars and have been using them like pigments but I am planning on pressing my pigments so I thought maybe I could press them and use them more easily.. I'm sure you know how fragile they are so I'm just concerned that maybe the technique wouldn't work with them.. Enlighten me pleaaaseeeee
smiles.gif

Lndsy

Will this work with the glitters? Anyone know?

So far its working great with the pigments, thanks for the tutorial!