• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

Pigment pressing tutorial (pressing mmu with Fyrinnae Powder Modifier) + FAQ

rocketqueen

This is Rocketqueen's guide to pigment pressing! Keep in mind that there are more than one way of pressing, but this is my style! I've used the pink/gold shadow Meerkat from Fyrinnae here.

Why press pigments, you might wonder? Well, I personally feel that the shadows become much easier to handle, silkier and softer, plus you avoid downfall on cheeks since it's very easy to control the amount of pigment on the brush with pressed shadows. And I love having them sorted by colors in the palettes, not to mention that it's fun creating marbled patterns and my own textures!

You'll need:
Fyrinnae Powder modifier
Empty pans
Magnets (I use these, self-adhesive ones)
A palette
A piece of denim cloth
A penny
Toothpicks
A plate (or some parchment paper)
Loose mineral shadow (I use approximately half a jar from Fyrinnae for one pan, 2,5 grams - also very much depending on which shadow you use)
Purified water

0_15447991.jpg

Lets' get started, shall we?

1. Put the pigment on the plate.

1_15448046.jpg

2_15448074.jpg

2. Make a little crater in the pigment pile and add 7-8 drops of the Powder Modifier.

4_15448125.jpg

3. Mix the pigment with the liquid. Use a toothpick and be careful; pat the liquid and the pigment together so it becomes crumbly. It can take a while, so no need to rush, and don't add more of the Powder Modifier.

5-1_15448404.jpg

4. Add 2-4 drops of water and mix again. Slowly! Now it becomes more of an even clay-ish formula if you're doing it right.

5_15448537.jpg

5. Add 1-2 drops of water again if necessary. Mix again (very important!). Now everything is gloopy and ready to be put into the pan.

6_15448720.jpg

6. Scoop it all up and put the liquid into the pan. A viscous mixture as you can see!

7_15448776.jpg

7. Leave to dry for a few hours, the time depending on how much water you've used.

8_15448954.jpg

8. Use the penny and the denim to press the shadow. This has to be done when the shadow has dried a little (when the surface is more matte as opposed to water-glistening), after 2-5 hours. Press quite hard.

9. Stick the magnet to the pan (I use self-adhesive magnets, very easy to use!). Done! Leave to dry over night.

My first pan:
9_15449457.jpg

My first palette:
fyrinnae-palett_15450114.jpg

fyrinnae-cu_15454279.jpg

FAQ:
Q: How much pigment is needed for one pan?
A: I use approximately 2,5 grams for one pan (half a jar of Fyrinnae shadow, that is). Do keep in mind that it varies a lot from shade to shade! The picture below shows a big difference; there's only like 25% of Digital Faerie and the rest of the space is taken by Javan Rhino - and those two were the same weight (and looked like the same volume) before mixing with the Powder Modifier.

div_15482636.jpg

Q: Can I use alcohol for pressing pigments?
A: Nope, that won't work. You need a binding agent and not just evaporating alcohol.

Q: Can I press my MAC pigments?
A: Absolutely, and all you need is pans and isopropylalcohol (which also can be used for mending shattered eyeshadows and blushes). So easy! Search here at Specktra for a good tutorial.

argyle_socks

Yeah, it's on their website under "other cosmetics".

It also says it works on hardened gel liners.

I'll have to try it!

SagaLina

I´ll have to try this! I have a broken eyeshadow I have been thinking about fixing but I thought I would be difficult but this looks easy! Thanks!!

darklocke

Rocketqueen, you're such a sweetheart! Thanks for this tutorial, I will start pressing my many MAC pigments, and putting them into palettes for easy access. Maybe I'll start using them? And I adore your patterns!
greengrin.gif

mariserinb

oh good!!! i was looking for a way to press my fyrinnae! my tss worked with just alcohol but i read fyrinnae wouldn't. so i'm definitely ordering the powder modifier.

how did you go about getting the first shadow to stay on one half of the pan so you could put the other in?

greengoesmoo

I have a tonne of other branded loose powders, a couple of the brands I haven't heard of outside of my collection (cheap drugstore and kids MU), can I press most of these as well?

I have stuff from Aromaleigh, leishi, and a few other odds and ends too.
Would I be able to use that powder modifier? Or will I need another type? I have *attempted* to re-press one of the coastal scents shadows with alcohol which worked.. sort of, it set until I used about 1/3 up and then it smooshed and fell apart again.

Is it possible I didn't apply enough pressure? Or that I pressed it troo soon?

If anyone can give me some hints towards pressing other brands/generics it would be greatly appreciated!!
smiles.gif

downloadstone

Does anyone know if Fyrinnae is still selling their powder modifier? I'm dying to press my pigments but can't seem to find anything that works for them.

mariserinb

Quote:
Originally Posted by downloadstone
Does anyone know if Fyrinnae is still selling their powder modifier? I'm dying to press my pigments but can't seem to find anything that works for them.

unfortunately, they no longer make it. i wrote to them not long ago asking the same thing. they recommended biosilk hair treatment, since the ingredients are similar, but coastal scents ez prez is also similar. i use ez prez, and although it took some experimentation to get the amount right, it works really great once you do!

mariserinb

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengoesmoo
I have a tonne of other branded loose powders, a couple of the brands I haven't heard of outside of my collection (cheap drugstore and kids MU), can I press most of these as well?

I have stuff from Aromaleigh, leishi, and a few other odds and ends too.
Would I be able to use that powder modifier? Or will I need another type? I have *attempted* to re-press one of the coastal scents shadows with alcohol which worked.. sort of, it set until I used about 1/3 up and then it smooshed and fell apart again.

Is it possible I didn't apply enough pressure? Or that I pressed it troo soon?

If anyone can give me some hints towards pressing other brands/generics it would be greatly appreciated!!
smiles.gif

most brands need some kind of binder to hold it together. pressed eyeshadows that break or mac pigments can be pressed using just alcohol, but not mineral shadows. for these, you have a few options. one is biosilk hair treatment, another is coastal scents ez prez (i use this), or you can try mixing glycerin with the alcohol. there are tons of tutorials on youtube and such that show you the right amounts to use and how to do so. but if you are just pressing a pigment (mac, ben nye, etc.), there is no need for any binder, as it is already in the product.

hope this helps!

Latest posts