Pigments VS Eyeshadows

orkira

I am very new to Mac (just started using Mac at the end of October) and was wondering if it is better to buy pigments since you get more for your money then to buy Mac eye shadows?

anshu7

i prefer pigments to eyeshadows because i find them easier to apply some people find eyeshadows easier to apply because of the pigment fallout. but u need a good eyeshadow base below pigments to make them stick to urlid and be vibrant. do i make sense?

allthatgl1tt3rs

Hmmm... I'm new to MAC also, but from what I understand pigment's far more intense than eyeshadow - as you say less is more so you can create really bold looks using very little pigment. Pigment's ideal for the camera as it really pops out
yes.gif

I guess it depends on what looks you try to achieve on a regular basis. The pigments may last longer than eye shadows but if you do more toned down looks say for the office more often than bold looks then eyeshadows are probably the way to go as you might find you don't end up using the pigments often enough to justify the expense.

Hope that helps!

x

capmorlovesmac

I am relatively new to MAC too and I love both eyeshadows and pigments. I just started to use more pigments again. The first time I tried them I had a lot of fall out because I wiped to much.
Now I pad them on and this works perfect. I always use an eyeshadow base over the lid up to the browbone and a paintpot or paint on the lid blended above the crease to have a nice base.
For me it is not a eyeshadow or pigment decision. I choose the colors I like because I like both products. HTH a bit
smiles.gif

Kiss and Makeup

It really does depend on the look you're going for - color preferences, intensity, and shadow finish. I have a lot of eyeshadows and pigments, though I prefer samples or splitting jars with friends because there's no way I'd ever use a whole jar of pigment! I like to use them at the same time to mix texture, and honestly, I can't wear the super shimmery pigments because of my contacts. It really does just depend on personal preference. Some shades are unique to both, and I don't like to limit myself. They both have their pros and cons. Here's my personal list

Eyeshadows - PRO: easier to carry around (I have 15-shadow palettes), fallout isn't as bad, my staple colors are eyeshadows. CON: can take a lot of eyeshadow to get good color payout; not as big of variety, can break easily (but you can repress them!)

Pigments - PRO: brighter colors/better color payout, less product used; lasts FOREVER, samples are readily available and last quite a long time; sample providers have access to LE/DC/PRO colors CON: can have lots of fallout; matte finishes don't work well, at all, even with a primer; easier to waste (if you dump it, which I've done).

abbey_08

the good thing about pigments is they have a variety of uses, you can use them on your eyes, cheeks, lips nails etc...

you deff need a base though, urban decay does a great one.

panda0410

You can always press your pigments as well if you like the versatility of eyeshadows but prefer the colour payoff of a pigment
smiles.gif

I personally prefer pigments, more colour and intensity, they last forever, they are super versatile for use, and at the end of the day if I cant find or dont have the colour I want I can just mix to make my own
winks.gif

IDontKnowMomo

Depends on personal preference. I love both!
Eyeshadows last forever for me as well as pigments. The only shadows I've ever used up have been highlights, Carbon, and brow colors.

jdechant

I really really do like pigments and the color payoff, but in the same sense, I don't got to them as much as my eyeshadows as I feel that they are definitely more picky to work with...during the week when I am getting ready for work, I tend to stick to my eyeshadows as it is 1. Not as bright, 2. Less mess (and fallout) 3. Trying to control how much product ends up on your brush...lol..but when it comes to going out and weekend stuff I looovveee my pigments!!!

orkira

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
You can always press your pigments as well if you like the versatility of eyeshadows but prefer the colour payoff of a pigment
smiles.gif

I personally prefer pigments, more colour and intensity, they last forever, they are super versatile for use, and at the end of the day if I cant find or dont have the colour I want I can just mix to make my own
winks.gif

How do I press my pigments or where can I get this done at? Thanks.

cetati

Pigments definitely require more effort for me. I love the sparkle most MAC pigments that I own have, but they're not that wearable for me because I don't often wear a ton of super-flashy make up. Even though I'm very made up and put together during the week at school (I go to UCLA, and we're a pretty fashion-forward school, especially in the humanities department), I rarely use tons of sparkles, glimmer, or bright colors.

As a result I end up using shadows because a) I only have flashy and super colorful and intense pigments, b) eyeshadows are faster during the week when I'm always running late.

Kiss and Makeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkira
How do I press my pigments or where can I get this done at? Thanks.

EnKore has a video on youtube that I used to press mine. If I weren't at work I'd find a link for it. youtube's a blocked website.

Rinstar

So when you use a pigment over a shadow, do you use a shadow that kind of matches the pigment color? I am new to MAC and love some of the pigment colors, but I really don't know what to do with them!

Iffath

Pigments pros:
1. need very little product to apply
2. lots of metallic and shimmery options available
3. long-lasting
4. adheres well

Pigment cons:
1. messy, loose product, travel un-friendly
2. pigment fallout

Eyeshadow pros:
1. no messy loose product
2. easy to apply, travel-friendly
3. lots of color options

Eyeshadow cons:
1. need more product to bring out full color

Hope that helps.

MissResha

i LOOOOVE piggies. I prefer my little piggies and I have quite a growing collection. I do have a few eyeshadows, but I always go to my cute lil piggy jars because less is more, theres a TON of product, you'll almost never run out (unless you're a MA). as for fallout, i always do my eyes first, and just dust off the fallout, problem solved.