Pluto has been named a “dwarf planet.” and is no longer a planet.

martygreene

http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jh...oryID=13283738

PRAGUE (Reuters) - Scientists from around the world on Thursday approved a new definition of a planet, downgrading Pluto's status to leave just eight classical planets.
After a heated debate, 2,500 scientists and astronomers voted at the International Astronomers Union General Assembly that Pluto, which has been called a planet since being discovered in 1930, would be put into a category of planets called "dwarf planets."

More on this:
http://news.google.com/news?q=pluto+...=news&ct=title

caffn8me

I guess it's a blow to plutionians but it won't make much of a difference to the rest of us!

Shimmer

Interesting.

The idea that people get paid some serious $$ to do this kind of boggles me.

martygreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
I guess it's a blow to plutionians but it won't make much of a difference to the rest of us!

I'm tempted to save the old science texts I recently unearthed and was going to sell. They'll be novel someday now "look kids, back in the day we thought Pluto was a whole planet! Weren't we silly".

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by martygreene
I'm tempted to save the old science texts I recently unearthed and was going to sell. They'll be novel someday now "look kids, back in the day we thought Pluto was a whole planet! Weren't we silly".

Now there's a thought! I'd better rush back to my mother's house and look in the attic for all those old school texts!

martygreene

As for the "wait, didn't they just ADD planets?" thing...

They were talking about it, but then they came up with this new rule. Basically they were trying to come up with something consistant so that we had a sensable rule about what planets are and what planets aren't. At first they were thinking about a more inclusive definition, which would keep Pluto, and bring a couple others along, but then they decided that was stupid, because there are a bunch objects in the solar system that are even bigger and have a more well defined orbit than Pluto that most people have never heard of.

Basically they decided that the people who added Pluto to the list of planets in 1930 made a mistake.

I guess the old mnemonic "My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us Nine Pickles" goes out the window now. Shame that.

Hawkeye

Yeah its like Creaton and xenon. Or something.

Im so upset. I love Pluto. It was my favorite planet next to Neputune
ssad.gif

Shimmer

I've always liked Uranus.

haha. I'm funny.
Y'all KNOW it was going to be mentioned sooner or later.

Raerae

Heh... Shimmer I totally agree that we spend so much money researching stupid stuff. When there is so many more important things that a lot of that acientific grant money could be spent on.

I'm all for research that helps cure diseases, and improves peolpe's quality of life. But spending millions to research the "rare shimmer butterfly" mating habits really seems superflous.

You'd think they would put all that "fluff" science on the to do list, after things like poverty, AID's, and other things.

How about fixing the pot holes on the street for starters...

Shimmer

Potholes are an outstanding place to start.

All that funding could be funnelled into healthcare, stem cell research, etc. *shrug*
Same goes for the damn cows.
I'm Texan. I don't give a shit if my cow moos in a Boston accent, a Midwestern twang, or a Southern drawl, as long as it's medium rare and Black Angus.

Hawkeye

i never EVER thought id be one of these people but as much as I agree with you shimmer I almost wonder if it is good to explore space and know a lot about it. Maybe we can find a way to correct the misgivings man has done to the earth. I mean there may come a time where the only way out is well flying in space somewhere. I dunno. Just a conspiracy thought
greengrin.gif

Shimmer

I'm not saying space should not be explored, but I am saying that when we wonder were all our money goes, this is a good place to start.
smiles.gif

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
I don't give a shit if my cow moos in a Boston accent, a Midwestern twang, or a Southern drawl, as long as it's medium rare and Black Angus.

Medium rare? That's well overcooked if you ask me
winks.gif
Have you tried Hereford beef btw? A much stronger flavour than Aberdeen Angus.

mzcelaneous

Quote:

That was my first thought when I heard about this.

I don't know about ya'll, but I'm kinda disappointed. Like seriously, no joke. Maybe it's the scientist in me :shrug:

Tyester

Quote:
After a heated debate, 2,500 scientists and astronomers voted at the International Astronomers Union General Assembly that Pluto, which has been called a planet since being discovered in 1930, would be put into a category of planets called "dwarf planets."

Why don't they just say it?

"After a heated debate, 2,500 nerds and supernerds voted at the International We've Never Been Laid Assembly that Pluto, which has been called a planet since being discovered in 1930, would be put into a category of planets called 'dwarf planets.'"

meagannn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Potholes are an outstanding place to start.

All that funding could be funnelled into healthcare, stem cell research, etc. *shrug*
Same goes for the damn cows.
I'm Texan. I don't give a shit if my cow moos in a Boston accent, a Midwestern twang, or a Southern drawl, as long as it's medium rare and Black Angus.

DONT FORGET THE A1! teehee

haha im texan too. hooray for cows!
:dance:

but i agree about money spent on fluff projects.