Polish Effects?

saizine

Upon taking off my nail polish today, I realized that my nails felt... well, to be honest, they felt weird. It was similar to a tingly feeling (think pins and needles but only very slight) on my nails/nail beds... but it wasn't an extreme feeling, just a slight feeling, if you know what I mean.

I've been wearing polish on my nails regularly for around four to five weeks (I wore it before then, obviously, but not regularly). I generally changed the polish after a week to a week and a half, and used both Sephora's Nail Polish remover and a generic drugstore remover as well. I've only used brands like Chanel, OPI, OPI for Sephora, Essie... and always used an Essie Base and Top Coat.

I've not noticed my nails become more brittle or have a worse texture... if anything, they have become stronger over the weeks, and have a better texture now. I'm going to give my nails a bit of a break, but is there anyone who has had this/heard of this before? Should I just leave my nails alone for a week, or are their other "nail treatments" I should look at?

ruthless

I'd say that is more to do with the remover you are using than polish on your nails. What are you using? I mean acetone/non acetone

saizine

Reading the back of the drugstore remover, it contains acetone. I'm not sure about the Sephora one... but as far as I know, it was acetone free. When I think about it, this didn't happen when I was using the Sephora remover (except the stuff stinks to high heaven, so I got rid of it because I couldn't stand using it).

I was considering changing to a acetone-free remover. I'll see if that helps.

Thanks for the reply!

LMD84

yes i would change to acetone free polish remover and hopefully that will sort your nails out. the ones with acetone in used to make my nails feel weird and they went flakey!

PTinNY

You could add some glycerine to your acetone remover. It is available at drugstores - ask pharmacy if you don't see it near the alcohol. this softens the effect on the nails/cuticles, but still has the strength to remove the polish. Doesn't have the strong stink of non-acetone removers.

Or try Zoya Remove - this is basically acetone w/glycerine & has a soft scent. My hard nails used to be so brittle before I started using remover w/glycerine.