Poll: Favorite Colors For Darker Skin Tones

calbear

See I am just the opposite. I hardly ever wear the golds, bronzes, oranges and browns. I am a big fan of the pinks,purples, blues and greens. On my NC50 skin they pop my amazingly.

As an MA, I find that most women of color only want the bronzes and oranges and will never ever let me try anything else. I can understand why so many MA's only pick those colors to use. They only want Oh Baby and chestnut, amber lights, Bronze and Woodwinked, Format.

ANd don't get me wrong I love those colors and they can be used with some great flair but so many won't let you go beyond that.

As an NC50 who loves colors like Stars and Rockets, Steamy, Sushi Flower, Sketch, Nocturnelle, Parfait Amour, Freshwater and all the other crazy beautiful colors, I love to try new things on customers.

LineausBH58

Studio fix poweder NW45

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear
See I am just the opposite. I hardly ever wear the golds, bronzes, oranges and browns. I am a big fan of the pinks,purples, blues and greens. On my NC50 skin they pop my amazingly.

As an MA, I find that most women of color only want the bronzes and oranges and will never ever let me try anything else. I can understand why so many MA's only pick those colors to use. They only want Oh Baby and chestnut, amber lights, Bronze and Woodwinked, Format.

ANd don't get me wrong I love those colors and they can be used with some great flair but so many won't let you go beyond that.

As an NC50 who loves colors like Stars and Rockets, Steamy, Sushi Flower, Sketch, Nocturnelle, Parfait Amour, Freshwater and all the other crazy beautiful colors, I love to try new things on customers.

Thats me too... I'm a purple, greens, pinks, and deep blues kind of gal..more pop the better...
cutey.gif

today i have on Juxt, Mancatcher, and Hepcat... with Dipdown f/l

I LOVE mulch and amberlights... embark is my friend.
lol.gif
... but I reach for Club, Nocturnelle, Hepcat, Shale, Waternyphm, Fade, Constast.
eyelove.gif
..more than era or shroom or my other brown tones
smiles.gif

on my lips: bare fetish, plum(dressing???) film noir with nico over, fetish, lip friendly pigments like Grape or Lovely lily

Blush Flirst and Tease, Tigerlily(and whats the other one with it) and Format(i just got for a bronzer look... or to tone down another color)

twobear

Quote:

I think women of color are scared of bright, vibrant colors. There is a a great fear that color will look clownish on our skin. It took a MA to convince me that a bright orange blush looks fantastic on my skin tone. Rich, vibrant blues, greens and purples make my eyes pop instead of "blending in" with my skin tone. Thank you to the MAC artist that led me to the dark side of the force!!!

MAChostage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobear
I think women of color are scared of bright, vibrant colors. There is a a great fear that color will look clownish on our skin. It took a MA to convince me that a bright orange blush looks fantastic on my skin tone. Rich, vibrant blues, greens and purples make my eyes pop instead of "blending in" with my skin tone. Thank you to the MAC artist that led me to the dark side of the force!!!

You are absolutely, positively right about this! This reminded me of when I visited a counter recently and a darker sister was having the MA try different things on her. She remarked to me that she was trying to experiment more with makeup and was shy about certain colors and asked if I was wearing MAC (of course I was!
smiles.gif
) and wanted to know what color I was wearing on my lips (it was Lovemate l/s). She said that she thought it was pretty and wondered if she should try it. I was like, girl you better get your Lovemate on! You're not gonna know if it works for you unless you try it! What have you got to lose? I love to see women of color wearing bright, bold complimentary shades!

bellezzadolce

Eye combos:

lid: Swimming
Crease: Texture
Brow:Goldbit or Ricepaper

lid: Patina
Crease: Romp
Brow: Shroom

lid: Vex
Crease: Sumpteous Olive + Plumage
Brow: Vex

lid: Hush
Crease: Folie + Sketch
Brow: Vanilla

Lip combos:

Pencil: Mahogany
Lipstick: "O"
Gloss: Spring Bean

Pencil: Hover
Lipstick: Honey Flower
Gloss: Love Nectar

Pencil: Mahogany
Lipstick: CB96
Gloss:Wonderstruck

Pencil: Nightmoth
Lipstick: Sophisto
Gloss: Star Nova

Face:
Hyper Real Foundation
Peach Twist Blush to contour + Springsheen Blush to highlight
Razin Blush to contour + Format Blush to highlight
Pinch Me blush
Paradisco Eyeshadow

Copperhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_M.A.C._ULATE
Eye combos:

lid: Swimming
Crease: Texture
Brow:Goldbit or Ricepaper

Thanks for this combo! I tried it yesterday. I used Ricepaper instead of Goldbit. I also added a tiny bit of MAC Bateau on the outer crease. It was really nice.

sunsational

NW 43 here.
Blush: Sweet as cocoa, ambering rose and raisin
face: MSF in shooting star
eyeshadows: amber lights and expensive pink
lipstick: O, viva glam IV and fetish
lipglosses: beaux and another one i dont remmeber. i will ETA
Pigments: teal (my fav), green brown, deep blue green, pinked mauve, tan and others. lol

im leaning towards other brands so i dont have a lot of MAC stuff

Colorqueen

Quote:

I run into the same problem with women of all colors of skin. They only want to stay with the neutrals even if it makes them look subpar.

It is frustrating to see women pass up looking gorgeous for just looking blah. It is a hard job to try to convince women that they can shine and glow in more beautiful colors- in any palette- warm or cool.

Colorqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobear

Women in general are scared of bright vibrant colors. For some reason all kinds of women from all cultures and skincolors have gotten the idea that they need to stay dull in order to look pretty, and that just is not true.

Even someone with fragile coloring can use color to make themselves shine with beauty- just have to find the colors made for their tones.

The first time I tried bright orange blush on a client, it was because I left my blush pack home and only had pigments with me. I could not go home so I grabbed the Acid Orange and Electric Coral and began to play.

I almost fell over when I saw her. She looked absolutely gorgeous. That simple thing make her look ALIVE and amazing!

From that point on, I have experimented with dark skin and colors that no one usually uses around here and have found so many gorgeous alternatives to the usual blah stuff that most women use.

It is just a matter of finding the basic tone of the skin and then choosing the proper colors that will compliment that tone.

Like jewel tones look amazing on cooler based skin and the warmer more luxurious tones (victorian type) look fabulous on warmer based skin.

Fuchsia vs Expensive Pink is an example

It depends on what the basic tone is as to which color makes the person shine and pop!

There are times for more neutral colors, but it is also wonderful to know what colors make you glow and look alive- people tend to be attracted to what looks alive.
greengrin.gif

soleado8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorqueen
Women in general are scared of bright vibrant colors. For some reason all kinds of women from all cultures and skincolors have gotten the idea that they need to stay dull in order to look pretty, and that just is not true.

Even someone with fragile coloring can use color to make themselves shine with beauty- just have to find the colors made for their tones.

The first time I tried bright orange blush on a client, it was because I left my blush pack home and only had pigments with me. I could not go home so I grabbed the Acid Orange and Electric Coral and began to play.

I almost fell over when I saw her. She looked absolutely gorgeous. That simple thing make her look ALIVE and amazing!

From that point on, I have experimented with dark skin and colors that no one usually uses around here and have found so many gorgeous alternatives to the usual blah stuff that most women use.

It is just a matter of finding the basic tone of the skin and then choosing the proper colors that will compliment that tone.

Like jewel tones look amazing on cooler based skin and the warmer more luxurious tones (victorian type) look fabulous on warmer based skin.

Fuchsia vs Expensive Pink is an example

It depends on what the basic tone is as to which color makes the person shine and pop!

There are times for more neutral colors, but it is also wonderful to know what colors make you glow and look alive- people tend to be attracted to what looks alive.
greengrin.gif

ITA! I am not scared of bright colors at all. Wearing neutral colors all the time is quite boring to me. I guess folks feel like they will be looking overly made up. They don't realize that all it takes is a light application and good blending.

Colorqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleado8
ITA! I am not scared of bright colors at all. Wearing neutral colors all the time is quite boring to me. I guess folks feel like they will be looking overly made up. They don't realize that all it takes is a light application and good blending.

Exactly!

I guess it takes a certain amount of self confidence to be able to wear bright colors too. Some women are not comfortable being noticed, which I have come to understand better over the years.

greengrin.gif

MAChostage

Women of Color, "nude" lips

I was just looking at an older thread on the forum discussing folk's fave l/s or l/g colors for creating a nude lip. I found it hard to follow for the most part because you can't tell what the poster's skin coloring is. Would any of you care to give your ls/ and/or l/g preferences for your nude lip look, along with your skin tone?

Copperhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAChostage
I was just looking at an older thread on the forum discussing folk's fave l/s or l/g colors for creating a nude lip. I found it hard to follow for the most part because you can't tell what the poster's skin coloring is. Would any of you care to give your ls/ and/or l/g preferences for your nude lip look, along with your skin tone?

I wear MAC's NC50-55 and I like MAC's Chai lipglass, Fresh Brew, Folio (I believe this one is discontinued) lipsticks. I normally wear the Chestnut liner.

Copperhead

Hey ladies! Here's a recent eye look I tried. I've tried it before and decided to try it again today and share it with you all.

MAC Sensualize e/s on lids
MAC Wishful e/s on browbones
MAC Mystical Mist e/s in crease using the #224 brush
Black eyeliner and Black mascara

I once tried to incorporate Blue Absinthe e/s with this combo and it looked nice but I like it better without the Blue Absinthe.

gingerbelle

Quote:

I'm NC43 too and for me I have a couple, based on the colors I"m working with. For a gold-toned nude, I do Hodgepodge l/l and Coconutty l/s. For a bronze nude, it's Cork l/l and Frenzy or Blonde on Blonde (A Muse LE). For a copper nude its Cork l/l and Factory Made l/g (A Muse LE). For a brown nude, it's Hodgepodge l/l and Honeyflower l/s for and for a 'naked' nude
lol.gif
it's cork and high tea l/s or beaux l/g. Pinky nude gets spice and nymphette and for a plummy nude I use hover and VGV lipglass.
HTH!

MAC_Pixie04

Ah, I can participate here. I'm NW45 Skin, as far as my collection goes, I'll buy any color that doesn't show up ashy, invisible, or chunky on me.
Shroom, Naked Lunch, Ricepaper, and Vanilla pigment are my favorite highlight colors.
Saddle or Mulch to contour my crease, sometimes a little bit of embark if I'm doing a deeper neutral.
I get complimented most when I wear Greens, Golds, Purples and Turquoises: some favs. Humid, Sprout (d/c) Swimming, Bitter, Gorgeous Gold, Blue Absinthe (LE), Waternymph (LE), Amber Lights, Goldmine, Trax, Purple Shower (LE), Aquadisiac, Grape Pigment, Teal Pigment, Ruby Red Pigment, Parfait Amor, Swish, Steamy, Hepcat, Cranberry, Old Gold pigment, Overgrown (LE), Sensualize (LE), Sable, Honey Lust (LE) etc...
As far as blush, I only own a few: Overprint (LE from Patternmaker), Coppertone, Raizin, Sunbasque (usually to highlight), Hushabye, Lovecrush, Trace Gold (highlight), Ambering Rose

Lip colors: Viva Glam V+Cork or Chestnut liner is my staple, Of Corset! Lipglass (LE), Midimauve lipstick, Teddy Babe (LE), Poppy Hop Lipstick (LE), Culturebloom Lipstick (LE), lady bug lipstick+venetian lustreglass over spice liner, Lame lipstick+Cork/Spice lip pencils, Polished Up lipstick, Sophisto lipstick, Instant Gold lustreglass, Lady Bug lipstick+Jest Lipstick+Lure-X lipglass (So Hottt), Giddy Lipstick+HodgePodge liner+Valentine's lipgelee, Slicked Pink lipgelee, Clear Lipglass+Pink Opal pigment, and so many more!

Basically, anything that looks good when I try it on that doesn't alter my skintone or look chalky or muddy on me, i'll buy and wear. but i'm guilty of buying things just because they were pretty in the pot/pan/tube...therefore, many unused items in my traincase.

sexypuma

clap.gif
Thanks for posting about this topic. I am learning a lot. By the way, does anyone use shooting star (msf) and posey (blushcreme)?

devin

Eyes: humid, velvet moss, amberlights, woodwinked, espresso, texture, carbon, coppering, cranberry, nocturnelle, contrast, deep truth, swimming, antiqued, mulch, ricepaper, nylon, expensive pink, embark, sketch, beautiful iris, paradisco, gorgeous gold, goldmine, juiced, bateau(l/e)

Cheeks: format, ambering rose, dollymix, blunt, raizin, peachykeen, peachtwist, gingerly, sunbasque, margin

Lips: honeyflower, midmauve, meltdown(that's all i can think of right now. I am having a brain freeze). Lipglass: madcap, revealing, viva glam v. Lustreglass: ornamental, beaux, wonderstruck

Lip pencils: chestnut, cork, hodgepodge, vino, subculture, plum. Cremestick liners: cushy, cream o spice, creamola, 80%

Nice eye combos:
Lid: gorgeous gold
Crease: bateau
Outer v: carbon
Highlight: honeylust

Lid: goldmine, coppering
Crease: brun
Highlight: honesty

Lid: ricepaper
Crease: sketch
Highlight: retrospeck

ceelovejay

Quote:

I use Fresh Brew l/s with Cork l/l and I think it looks fab. I almost always throw a little clear gloss on top cause I love for my lips to shine. lol