Pool/Beach hair

Ruby_Woo

Hi ladies,
So I've been going to the pool quite often with my son, and my hair is getting really dried out. Do you guys happen to know of any good treatment? Or a good shampoo/conditioner that will protect my hair from sun and chlorine?
I love going to swim and getting my laps in, but I don't want to sacrifice my hair!

Thank you!
smiles.gif

nichollecaren

I used to swim weekly...I have relaxed hair...this is what my stylist told me to do:

a) apply conditioner ( I use Biolage hydratherapie balm, but she didnt really say which one) not too much but just enough to make your hair feel moist. This is pre-entry to the pool

b) wear a swim cap!

c) shampoo on exit with neutralizing shampoo, and add more conditioner...let soak for 5 mins and rinse.

Usually I'd go straight to her after, so I left the conditioner in and let her rinse it out. My hair suffered no ill effects.

edit: Biolage has a protectant spray. You should try it.
HTH

dove conditioner and hask illuminating spray. i live by those things..
i dye & bleach my hair all the time and go to the lake all the time.

those two are a goddess!

LRWade

As long as there is no colour alteration from the pool's chlorine, the best things to do would be wear a swimming cap every time you go and use a deep moisture mask maybe twice a week depending on how dry it's getting. Unless your hair is naturally coarse or dry I wouldn't go overboard on the conditioner, either in application frequency or duration, especially with protein conditioners since they can do more damage than good. Despite what the adverts (commercials) say, conditioner only gives the appearance of healthy hair, it doesn't actually make it healthy since it is dead after it leaves the hair folicle.
In short-prevention of damage is better than treatment, once damaged it will always be damaged, all you can do then is fake it! You may feel daft in a shower cap but it's the best way to keep your hair happy and healthy.
xxx

LMD84

i used to go swimming about 2 times a week and my hair is dry at the best of times. i always wore a swimming cap (just try not to buy a flesh coloured one like my friend - it made her head look like a penis!
tong.gif
) i also used a deep conditioning mask 2 times a week. and once a week i would coat my hair in olive oil and wrap it in a frozen food bag and keep it like that for about 5-6 hours (best done when you're at home!). it washes out quite easily and leaves your hair really soft.

TISH1124

I swim almost everyday and I wear a swim cap, sometimes...I wash my hair afterwards and leave conditioner on my hair for about 10 minutes sometimes longer, I have left it overnight actually... ..I have no color or chemicals in my hair though so I know the chlorine mixed with other chemicals can be drying.

I use Ion Anti-Chlorine Swimmer's Shampoo & Conditioner from Sally's

I also use Aubrey Organics Swimmer's Shampoo & Conditoner as well.

swaly

Sometimes simply rubbing a bit of oil into my hair (prior to getting wet) works. It's probably not the most technologically advanced solution, but it really is helpful in protecting against chlorine or the sea's salt. Right now I'm using Burt's Bees Apricot Baby Oil, which is super thick, on my body...I'd just take my oily hands after rubbing it on and just run it through my hair and focus on the ends. I also use NARS's monoï oils for beachy times, so that would work fine, too.

Oil repels water and whatnot. Probably not a foolproof method, but it helps me greatly.

Shimmer

Cheapo Suave conditioner, then put your hair in a bun. The heat from being outside will deep condition your hair (nice little bonus there) and the conditioner will protect the shaft when you do get your hair wet.
smiles.gif

xsnowwhite

I love the redken sun line and have heard lots of good things about avedas new sun haircare line. Redken real control crema care is an amazing leave in as well, it really moisturizes well without leaving a greasy feeling

AliVix1

i read somewhere once to leave some conditioner in your hair (like the rinse out kind not the leave in kind) and just not dry your hair bc ur going to just get it wet anyway but i dunno ive never tried it?

Ruby_Woo

Thanks everyone! I went out to Sally's and got Ions swimmer's shampoo. They had a sale where you buy the shampoo and you can get either the leave in spray or regular conditioner free. So I bought the shampoo and got the spray free and purchased the other conditioner (as I had planned anyway, so getting the spray was a cool bonus!)

Thanks so much! Im gonna go buy a swim cap now
smiles.gif

BeautyPsycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD84
i used to go swimming about 2 times a week and my hair is dry at the best of times. i always wore a swimming cap (just try not to buy a flesh coloured one like my friend - it made her head look like a penis!
tong.gif
)
i also used a deep conditioning mask 2 times a week. and once a week i would coat my hair in olive oil and wrap it in a frozen food bag and keep it like that for about 5-6 hours (best done when you're at home!). it washes out quite easily and leaves your hair really soft.

th_LMAO.gif
Omg, I'm dying over here... I can't help myself, I'm imagining a huge swimming penis. Too funny.

Sorry about the OT.

hrockstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby_Woo
Thanks everyone! I went out to Sally's and got Ions swimmer's shampoo. They had a sale where you buy the shampoo and you can get either the leave in spray or regular conditioner free. So I bought the shampoo and got the spray free and purchased the other conditioner (as I had planned anyway, so getting the spray was a cool bonus!)

Thanks so much! Im gonna go buy a swim cap now
smiles.gif

Also wet your hair before you get in the pool (with or without a cap/with or without conditioner).
The water will "fill up" the hair making it harder for the chlorine to penetrate into the hair.
Rinse as soon as you get out of the pool. Hot water is best as it keeps the cuticle open and the water pressure will force out the chlorine but even cold water is better than not rinsing at all
smiles.gif

Chlorine affects all hair adversely...it's especially icky since it just "keeps on giving" (keeps damaging and builds upon itself no matter how much time has passed between swimming)

Other products:
Grund Cleanse Daily Shampoo
Grund Smooth Leave-In Conditioner (a spray that is chlorine/mineral blocker, spf, and some other things i can't remember right now LOL)

Malibu 2000 Swimmer's Action Shampoo/Conditioner
Malibu 2000 also makes some "boosters" that you can add to shampoo
Malibu 2000 treatments - the original is specifically for chlorine and other minerals (this might only be available as a salon service)
The Malibu 2000 line might be the same as the Ion line
smiles.gif

Latest posts