Porcelain Beauties: Best blushes and eye m/u colors?

claresauntie

Hi, my fair friends.
cutey.gif

Just curious if you have any woes picking blushes? I don't, really, because it's just a matter of intensity of application for me (I'm cool-neutral), but I know some gals seem to have problems being overshadowed by their color choices... Thoughts??? (Editor's note: Orgasm doesn't work for me at all, but that is probably a coloring thing rather than being due to my fairness factor)

One thing I haven't mastered on myself, but can do for other (pigmented) people, is contouring. I am just way too blank of a canvas and it's hard to get a real impact, because to avoid racing stipes I have to blend, blend, blend and !poof! the product is gone.
rofl.gif
Anyone with any product suggestions- please advise me! I would love a bit of oopmph in the cheekbone-al area, especially since I have gained a bit of roundness after having a baby months ago...

And how 'bout your eyes? I can wear just about anything except most pinks (look like an albino rabbit who has been crying all day) or yellows. However, being 35, I don't wear a lot of really frosty stuff or really truly bright colors like teal (but that's another thread- beauty for those "of age"!). Of course, I have some tricks like pairing those colors with tried-and-true colors like Tempting for a bit of "pop", but that's another thread, too.

Are there any things you just can't do (or are scared of doing) because of your super fair complection???
hmm.gif

Simply Elegant

Well, I don't contour really, because I don't think I need to. Well dressed blush looks great, but it's being discontinued and I've been looking for one that looks a lot like it. Also, trace gold looks great. Clinique's in the pink shimmering tones powder is good for highlighting and blush but it was LE a couple years ago although it could be on ebay. Clinique's blushing blush in cupid is a good choice too.

I wear neutrals and greens most of the time for my eyes. I use MAC, Body Shop, Make Up For Ever, Clinique and Annabelle eyeshadows most often.

meagannn

I have Benefit dandelion and as it isn't much other than straight-shot pink, its very light and it looks fine most days as a blush. I looove glissade- I just have to be careful how I apply my blush, also. I get real red cheeks easily after just a little bit of movement so I normally don't need blush unless i'm wearing heavy oundation
smiles.gif

I dont countour, either, only because I don't know how one knows when they need to be countoured
smiles.gif

I love light browns and light light golds and taupe-y colors. I also love greens as well, golders green was great for me! i also love all that glitters, grain (very beautiful, touch of color!) and melon.

I used to be able to get away with very light colored (like baby blue) eyeshadows but now... it isn't working out very well in my favor. I have to wear (at the very least) a little smidge of eyeliner every day because if I dont... my skin melts with the whites of my eyes and i look like an alien with no eye definition =/ meh!

jillianjiggs

this probably wont be much help, because i am terrified of blushes but know i need colour.

i would die without porcelain pink msf. it gives me just enough colour to make me look alive but not like a clown or like i'm wearing tons of makeup.

and glissade also colours my cheeks well enough to add some life into them
smiles.gif

maxcat

I like the brighter ones... Passionate, Dollymix, Frankly Scarlett... The trick with the vibrant colors is to use very little with a big brush, and blend blend blend.

Painkiller

I really like Milani Powder Mosaic in Sweet Cheeks, but it should be applied VERY, VERY LIGHTLY. I can't stress this enough. If I use just an infinitesimal quantity, and blend it like a mofo, it's gorgeous. If not, it's this shocking bright candy pink that really gives any look that touch of Mimi it really does not need. :-/

jenii

I don't really contour, because-- yes, I admit it-- I don't really know how.
blush-anim-cl.gif

BUT, I do know what blushes work on my pale skin. From MAC, I like Cute, Pinch O' Peach, Lilicent, and Dollymix. From NARS, I really like Sin. That's actually the blush I use more than any other.

As for eye stuff, I stay away from black eyeliner and e/s, because it's just too harsh on me. Otherwise, I just use whatever works, and that's a surprising amount of stuff.

Cruella

I'm light and somewhat rosy. My fave MAC blushes are Coygirl & Mocha. Others include Milani Luminous, NARS Sin, Hard Candy Cheekie and Laura Gellar's Blush-N-Brighten in Berry (applied very, very lightly.)

Showgirl

Blusehs are tough to get right when you're pale, ain't they? I didn't bother for years....

Plumfoolery is good, it's quite sheer so works in spite of my paleness. Dollymix is pretty too, though VERY pink on pale skin - I don't mind that personally....

IMHO stay away from Frankly Scarlet, it's beautiful on most skin finishes, but if you're anything like as pale as I am, it makes you look like a clown. Was going to take it back but a male(!!!!) friend who's very olive skinned pinched it: I know it's strange but he's a very adventurous fella, a kinda gothicy type and isn't at all adverse to wearing makeup when we go clubbing, I cried when I saw how beautiful and subtle it looked dusted across his cheekbones. Ironically it was ME it made look like a blinkin' drag queen, lol!!!

For a cheap blush try the Maybelline pink dream mousse one. It's nice and buildable, and I think cream blushes are good if you're very pale, as you can easily work a little bit of colour into your whole face.

Oh! Cheekhue in Gogh Gogh was wonderful, a soft pinky brown that they annoyingly d/c, if you can find it on ebay or something it's great. Looks scary in the tube but a great complexion warmer.

And oi!! 35 is a great and sexy age, luv! Nicely matured and in your prime :)

miss_amy

I use Mocha and blend blend blend
smiles.gif

I'm very pale, but lucky that pinks can work for me... my eyes are a very warm brown and this seems to offset my skin colour. Pinky golds work particularly well, though.

kimmy

i'm an NW15/NC15 (depending on the time of year, i guess) and i usually use MAC Desirous blush and MAC Refined Golden bronzer. i use the bronzer to contour and make my cheek bones look a little more pronounced with a large fluffy angled brush, then i add a liberal amount of Desirous to the apples. then i blend and buff everything with a kabuki to make it more subtle and natural looking.

i can't pull of pinks on the eyes either which really bums me out because pink is my favourite colour, but when i do it, it just makes me look really sick unless i do something really epic with the eyeliner which isn't really my style anymore. purples work really well for me though, i've been told. and i just got MAC Tempting e/s and ...
eyelove.gif
!

iLust

I have an old Estee Lauder (I think) ColorStones Shimmering Face Powder. It's kind of like one of those mosaics with a rosy pink, coppery bronze, and shimmering light pink/white. It looks really beautiful for a shimmery yet natural look.

My other favorite blush, Milani Luminous is a peachy pink with a golden shimmer, which I've heard compared to Nars Orgasm.

Oh, and lately I've been reaching a lot for a blush by Rimmel Pink Rose, it's a very natural pink with not too much shimmer. Rimmel Apricot is nice for a peachier look.

For eyeshadow, my everday wash color is Urban Decay Sin.

girlstar

I love to use my msfs on my cheeks (Porcelain Pink and Glissade).

I also like to use Sweet William blushcreme and then highlight the apples of my cheeks with Hush CCB.

Ella_

I love pigments as blush. My fave at the moment is apricot pink, it looks amazing on its own, and if I want a little bit of a golden glow I add some gold dusk to it to make my perfect highlite colour.
I also like rose pigment, and suprisingly, accent red.

Pearlizers are great too, as are beauty powders - theyre natually sheer so even with a heavy hand they dont look too much. And MSFs are always a must for me - I ADORE porcelain pink. I like maidenchant blushcreme on me as well, it blends out to a really natural pink glow.

I dont bother with contouring, I have very high cheek bones with a rather defined hollow, but I have chubby, puffy cheeks under and around the apples. So contouring makes me look really odd, either like a chipmunk or some kind of weird zombie creature.
As far as the eyes go I wear pretty much anything except bright blues - freshwater is ok as a liner or crease colour, but I cant pull off parrot at all
ssad.gif
Shame because I love the colour.
Im big on pinks, purples, corals and oranges. Sometimes I like to play with reds and yellows, I do a pretty good sunset eye with red and yellow shadows.

Oh and my current fave shadow combination is aquadisiac on the inner 1/2 of my lid, with hepcat on the outer 1/2, a light dusting of stars n rockets and a little freshwater in the crease. It looks amazing, and its a colour combination I never would have thought would work.

FTR - Im a touch darker than NW15, steel blue eyes with dark hair.

jpohrer

I am NW15-20. I have dark brown hair and eyes. For contour, I lightly apply Harmony with an angled cheek brush from Essence of Beauty. For powder, I love Prescriptives Magic Powder. Regular powder tends to make me look ghostly. For bronzer, I use Tenderling blush or Refined Golden. For blush, I have and love Cheek (fave), Coygirl, Cubic, Desirous, Dollymix, Foolish Me, Margin, Peachy Keen and Pink Swoon. Non-Mac, I have Orgasm, Paula Dorf Playmate (love), and Illusion. I like Sweet William blushcreme. For highlighters, I like Shy Angel, Porcelain Pink, Shimmertime and Sunsparkled Pearl. Stila AOS #9 is great, too! My favorite shadows are Saddle, Vanilla, Orb, Smut, Leisuretime, Juxt, Meadowland, and Scene.

AprilBomb

Right now I am really into a dewy or glowing look. (As opposed to glowing-in-the-dark white!) I've been wearing Smashbox Fusion Soft Lights in "Smashing Intermix" for 2 weeks straight. When I swirl the brush on the pot, I only brush the lightest three shades, focusing on the pink. And as everyone has said, blending is key!

I also like the cream highlighter quad from Smashbox. The rose shade looks perfect on my cheeks and the light pink & white shades look amazing on eyes and anywhere else as a highlighter.

My other new obsession is tarte "tipsy" cheek stain. If I am very careful and apply it with a brush, it gives me a nice healthy glow.

AprilBomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painkiller
I really like Milani Powder Mosaic in Sweet Cheeks, but it should be applied VERY, VERY LIGHTLY. I can't stress this enough. If I use just an infinitesimal quantity, and blend it like a mofo, it's gorgeous. If not, it's this shocking bright candy pink that really gives any look that touch of Mimi it really does not need. :-/

thmbup.gif
I have this also, and everything you said is exactly on the money! It's a good product for a not-so-big price.