Porcelain Beauties: Must know make up tips

Jadys

This is my first time starting a thread so my apologies in advance if this is in the wrong place.

So, my tan is fading away and I’m slowly morphing into a ghostly version of myself. In theory I love my pale skin but I can’t quite figure out how to make the most of it without looking like a goth. Does anybody have any must know tips for porcelain beauties? For the record, I’m NW20 with blue/green eyes and dark blonde hair. And, since I’m a makeup idiot please be specific with what should go where.

Thanks!

SparklingWaves

I am NW 15, green eyed, and mid -light blonde hair. I think it's all about you skin tone and what looks right on you. I can wear many colors.

If you think you are looking Gothic, it maybe that you need to warm up the colors you are wearing. Are you sure you are a NW and not a NC. The wrong foundation color could make you look really pasty.

I can imagine myself looking Gothic. I would have to wear the wrong shades like NC15 with no blush and deep maroons and blacks on my eyes and lips.

jenii

I'm also NW20, and to avoid looking goth, I go easy on the black eyeliner. If I use it at all (usually I opt for Buried Treasure, which is black-brown with gold shimmer), I don't line all around the eyes, just the upper lids. And I don't usually wing it out, I do a thinner, more natural-looking line.

And if I wanna do something smokey, instead of using a black e/s, I'll go for a darker version of whatever other shades I'm using (like Humid if I'm using greens, Plumage if I'm using teals, Moth Brown if I'm using pinks or neutrals, etc.).

Basically I stay away from black most of the time, unless I'm specifically going for that look.

Oh, and as for the skin, I won't use foundation all over. I'll just put concealer wherever I need it, and follow up with a light dusting of translucent powder.

redambition

what jenii said - go easy on the black eye shadow and especially the black eyeliner to avoid looking too goth.

black eyeliner can look good, but it's also easy to cross the line into too heavy when you are pale skinned.

you can also have the opposite problem - the pale, washed out look.

if i'm looking too pale and pasty (if i'm not feeling too well or have had too little sleep, for example), i use TBS brush on beads in buff to give me a little bit of colour. it's a bronzer, but it's very very light, so it gives more a of a glow.

i avoid nude lips like the plague because they make me look dead. i always have a natural (or a bit darker than natural) lip colour on. i also always wear a little blush, just for some colour.

~Crystal~

As suggested above... stay well away from the black liners lol. That said... I couldn't stay away from the Kohl Powers that just came out
th_wink3.gif
They haven't arrived yet, but hopefully they'll be ok on me even though they have a black base! (I decided against Feline despite all the raves about it... afterall, having something that has been dubbed the 'blackest black' isn't necessarily a good thing for a NW15, right?
smiles.gif
)

I tend to go for the dark brown liners (like Dipdown fluidliner). A light dusting of a peachy pink blush can also warm up the cheeks nicely! That, and a natural pink gloss like Perfectly Pink (almost the same colour as my lips) or Love Nectar, Moonbathe etc keeps me from looking ghostly
greengrin.gif

claresauntie

I'm an NW15 and I wear black liner. I don't really think that makes too much a difference if it's applied well (not slathered on heavily).

That said, here are a few of my tricks:
-Try a bit of a shimmer product applied under foundation, or try HyperReal or even Mineralize Satinfinish. To elaborate on the shimmer product: I put on a Mineralize Skin Finish called Lightscapade from the Danse collection earlier this year. I buff it on my whole face lightly, then a bit more on the tops of the cheekbones and on the bridge of my nose and on my temples. Then I put on my foundation (I actually prefer Minzeralize Skinfinish Natural in Light). The Lightscapade gives a GREAT glow and radiance. If you Google Lightscapade you will see numerous examples of people selling or swapping this product, and even if you aren't interested in that you can probably find a pic so you can match it to a similar product.
-I always wear blush, even if it's just a soft pink. Go to a MAC counter and get an artist to match you to a good color. I prefer light blue-pinks like Dame for just a regular day.
-I always wear mascara and gloss. I think it keeps the face looking lively.

PS & Disclaimer: I think the reason you see a lot of Lightscapades on eBay and getting swapped on other sites is because it looks chalky on a lot of people. That's 'cause it's made for fair skins!
smiles.gif

Hope this helps!

SparklingWaves

I can wear black, charcoal-brown, navy, plum, and forest green eye liners. I wonder if it has to do with eye shape. Now, if I wore black on the lips that would be Gothic or Halloween looking on me. I can wear even the deepest of wine on my lips. Weird isn't it? I am very cool, but blonde. I don't wear bronze colors. I look ill with those shades.

j_absinthe

If you want to keep the integrity of your alabaster complexion without going into Goth territory, just remember that warmer, softer tones work for that, so stay away from intense, cool tones. I really like what clare suggested about getting Lightscapade. It's great for adding that glow without being too pigmented.

Azuresyren

Definitely using a brown eyeliner instead of black can help things look less gothic ~ I tend to think of brown as a much, much warmer version of black; black can look kind of icy.

Miss_M

I'm also a NW20, with green eyes and middle blond hair. As a base I use a little Studio Fix powder foundation buffed in with a kabuki brush and a little bronzer (Guerlain Terracotta Blonde is perfect for paler girls so you don't end up looking muddy). Blushwise I can pretty much wear anything, as long as it's not too orange, bright pink or muddy brown. I love soft pinks like MAC Cute or Well Dressed, peach like MAC Pinch O' Peach and Springsheen or NARS Deep Throat and MAC Tenderling, Mocha or Prism if I'm going for a beigey look. I love both Viva Glam V lipstick and Clinique Buttershine in Baby Baby, two very flattering MLBB colors
smiles.gif

For e/s I always use neutral colors, like beige, soft pink, peach, bronze and copper. Instead of eye-liner I use a soft taupe or silver shade of e/s (Chanel has a beautiful silver e/s called Silvery) above my lashline so my eyes have definition without looking harsh or Goth. I always use brown mascara and eye-pencil as well. I love to use Bourjois Metallic eye-pencil in Radiant Copper to make my green eyes pop
smiles.gif

SparklingWaves

I am getting hooked on Chanel e/s. They are so gorgeous. I have silvery, amethyst, lavender, starlight, bamboo, cinnamon, and I want two more. I just got a blush, rose petale. I mix these colors with MAC, BB and prescriptives. It's freaking gorgeous. Yes, it's more expensive. But, I usually go crazy with other brands, buying numerous colors. So, that's not saving any money.

I don't wear any shocking colors. I didn't buy one e/e in that shock collection. I like my eyes to stand out and not the e/s. That's my preference. I am like a sheet of paper. The true colors of e/s or anything of makeup with show up on me.

kimmy

i think using lustre or satin finishes instead of matte is a really good idea for us paler skinned ladies. the subtle shimmer adds a little glow.
smiles.gif
msfs are amazing for this too!

adela88

im a nw15,green eyes and light blonde hair
i always use a brown eyeliner instead of black beuase it makes the eyes stand out and isnt too harsh against the skin

Dark_Phoenix

I've found that lightening products (I like the Shiseido White Lucent collection) help my uber pale, lighter than NC15 complexion just... glow.

Despite being marketed towards other skin types (blotchy, sun spotted, discolored, etc..) they do a great job at just making pale skin look more lively.

Oh... and Moonstone lipgelee looks freakin' fab because of how chrome-pink it is. I think it goes along with Lightscapade MSF in "MAC marketing towards pale".

Ella_

Charcoal eyeliner instead of black really cuts down on the goth look. It still looks black, but softer.

If you cant get lightscapade MSF jump on ebay and get revlon skinlights fluid in natural light - or one of the other shades, Ive got natural, peach, pink and pearl (le). Use 1/2 a pump mixed in with your foundation or moistureizer and your skin will glow - without looking sparkly or shimmery. I also use the fluid to highlite. I get mine for under $5 most times.

Blush is a great help to avoid looking too gothy, go for a peachy tone or a rosey pink, otherwise us fair ladies can look too 'china doll'.

Lipstains are a must. You can layer the colour for a beautiful red or berry pout, or just use a sheer wash for a great subtle flush - you can use them on the cheeks as well.

Brown black mascaras are brilliant for fair ladies as well. Sometimes, especially during the day, black mascara can look too harsh, so a brown black is a better option in my oppinion.

NoAddedSugar

I'm NW15, Blue eyes, Dark Brown hair.

I do wear black eyeliner and I like a smokey, dramatic eye. I have a lot of red in my cheeks so I tend to not go for anything to elaborate on the face as I want to detract from the redness. I usually cover with foundation and use paler blushes such as peach/tangerine/soft pink and translucent style highlighters not coloured ones. I use Yogomode beauty powder in the centre of the face or Bobbi Brown Shimmerbrick in beige (no real colour just highlight) on the cheekbones and nose for that candlelit glow.

On days when I want less drama I use something like Mac Teknakhol in Earthline which is a cool brown/taupe that goes well with my blue eyes. I also find colours such as Smashbox Creamliner in Lava (gunmetal) a good alternative to black when I am doing a more dramatic eye, used in the waterline it creates definition without looking overly goth.

I tend to stay away from Matte e/s as I don't like the way they look on me generally.

I also go for lighter lips these days as looking at myself in the past, darker lipstics often make my mouth look really small and cruel instead of pouty and lush
smiles.gif

Sometimes just a dash of colour on the lids (peach, soft purple or creamy colours) with lashings of a really good mascara, a touch of blush blended really well (such as Stila CC in poppy) and again on the lips a similar colour with a clear or sheer gloss gives colour without being overly made up. I think the Stila CC's are really good for this.

GothicGirl

I thought I should describe what I do, because despite my nickname, I work as a lawyer, and during the week I have to look polished and sophisticated, so, all the "gothness" in me arises only on the weekends.

I´ve noticed that, unlike all of the other girls, I can´t wear brown, be it in eye pencil, liner or shadow - NO browns for me at all. Being an NW15 with grey eyes and black hair, in fact all warm colors look funky on me. Therefore, browns, beiges, even most taupes are all off my makeup list. And that means pretty much all the so called neutrals. So, how do I deal with myself?

Greys and plums!!! For me, those colors are my work makeup HG, making me look sophisticated and lively. Chracoal or plum eyeliner, charcoal mascara — even though black mascara is not harsh if its texture is light enough —, eye shadows in the colors: platinum, white, ivory, silver, pink, rose, plum, burgundy, purple, mauve, grey etc.

I don´t wear blush, so I can´t give any useful information here.

And finally, as far as lips go, my "9-to-5" favorites are medium coverage plum, rose and red lipsticks. If I didn´t work in such a formal place I could replace it with glosses in the same color family, so if you can wear gloss, it´s also a good alternative.

Growing Wings

I'd agree that a nice blush is the first step to not looking gothy pale. I love Benefit's Dandelion for and every day glowy look, and True Romantic Beauty Powder Blush is lovely for when I want a little bit more colour.

I do use black eye liner (both pencil and liquid) and find that it's all about how much of them I use. When using liquid, I'll make sure to only use a thin line. I pretty much always smudge my pencil eyeliner now, as making the line softer means that I can still get the depth I want from the liner, but not with the 'wow she's wearing thick black liner' look.

I've also recently fallen in love with Clinique's Egyptian liner. It's a nice deep brown with flecks of gold. Perfect for a neutral smokey look!

seabird

i was nc15 and managed to not look like a goth! just make sure you wear blush or a light bronzer, and highlighter in the right places to make you look 'alive'! i always wore black eyeliner but i just made sure that i did thinnish lines as opposed to thick, dark lines and wore lots of mascara for "flirty" eyelashes, but amde sure they were combed through thoroughly to avoid spider lashes. i also opted for lighter lip shades as i found wines and deep reds made me look gothy. pastel pinks and corals looked great! if you have extra dark hair i'd probably also consider getting highlights or a lighter brown woven in as dark hair and pale skin makes pale skin look even paler.

JediFarfy

Here's some rules I follow with my makeup. I'm an NW15 for reference:

- Stay natural in lip. I don't stray too far from my natural lip color. A touch darker, a touch lighter, and that keeps it from being too extreme. The only exceptions are special events.

- Balance. Bright eye, light lip. Bright lip, neutral eye.
smiles.gif

- Blending is your friend. You can wear any eye color you want. It's all about blending.

- Don't forget blush. I didn't wear if for a long long time and hated how deathly I looked. Now I can't go without it. Blending is your friend here too. :p

- Eyeliner color doesn't matter. I switch between brown and black a lot. It all depends on quantity you wear. Too much might weigh you down.

Well, that's just some stuff I keep in mind. HTH!

JF