Porcelain Beauties: Rants and Raves for foundations

Piarpreet

darn it i ordered 20 mat velvet.... cos i saw 15 was rather pink (i dont like looking pink). But.... is it darker than NC15 mac?
NARS doesnt have hardcore matte coverage tho :( and in summer i look nasty and super grease

20 is a lot darker than 15 for MUFE mat velvet.

I love NARS powder foundation in siberia. Medium coverage and looks natural.

MUFE mat velvet #15 to MUFE HD 115??

I have both of these, and I'll be honest: I can't really tell much difference in depth of shade. Side by side in the pan, it's obvious that NC15 is yellower than the N3, but they appear to be the same level of paleness. On my skin, the N3 seems darker, but that would be because NC15 is a much better match for my skin. Whereas the N3 shows up readily, but in reality, it's just that it's too pink. (I actually don't wear N3 much any more for this reason. I look sunburnt most of the time.)

So, I would say that the main difference is undertones. If you're pinker, get the N3. More yellow, look into NC15.

Piarpreet

thanx for the info!

I have both of these, and I'll be honest: I can't really tell much difference in depth of shade. Side by side in the pan, it's obvious that NC15 is yellower than the N3, but they appear to be the same level of paleness. On my skin, the N3 seems darker, but that would be because NC15 is a much better match for my skin. Whereas the N3 shows up readily, but in reality, it's just that it's too pink. (I actually don't wear N3 much any more for this reason. I look sunburnt most of the time.)

So, I would say that the main difference is undertones. If you're pinker, get the N3. More yellow, look into NC15.

Paramnesia

I've tried a heap of foundations from pretty much all counters here in Australia and MUFE and my closest match has been MUFE Mat Velvet 115 but I have been trying lilylolo mineral foundation in Porcelain which seems to be a pretty good match too and feels lighter on the skin than a liquid. The coverage is pretty good, I have scars and acne and if worn layered or over conceal seems to hide them.

Paramnesia

I wish MAC would come out with the Studio Sculpt in NC5/NW5 or even NC10/NW10. They finally did the powders in NC5 so I'm hoping the foundations will be next.

Oh well for now I'm still mixing potions.
Powders have been NC5 and NW5 for quite awhile (well here they have been), I sadly doubt MAC will introduce an NC/W10 or 5 foundation given they have cut down in products over the years.

*JJ*

has anyone tries the new illamasqua foundation new skin base?
i would like to order it but i'm not sure if SB2 is too dark for me. anyone tried it/can compare it to mac shades? according to their webside SB2 is comparable to NW15 as well as N2 which is weird because N2 is a lot lighter than NW15..

fleur de lis

SB2 is definitely lighter than NW15 :) I reckon if anything it might be *too* pale for many!

has anyone tries the new illamasqua foundation new skin base?
i would like to order it but i'm not sure if SB2 is too dark for me. anyone tried it/can compare it to mac shades? according to their webside SB2 is comparable to NW15 as well as N2 which is weird because N2 is a lot lighter than NW15..

*JJ*

i've ordered it. i have mufe hd110 too, i'll compare them as soon as i receive my package!

Piarpreet

thanx! take a pic :) hd10 works well on me, like mat velvet 15 but easier to work with. I would like something a lil lighter....

*JJ*

here's a comparison pic:

top: illamasqua skin base nr 2
bottom: MUFE HD 110

it matches me perfectly, i'm so happy :D

*JJ*

coverage is buildable but i would say it's medium. the texture is great, it sinks into the skin and is really natural looking/undetectable.
it's not completely matte though, it leaves a bit of a sheen on your skin. i don't mind but some might..
all in all i think i found my HG, i am in love with this foundation!

sarahsharkbait

Hmm. Have you perhaps tried GOSH Xceptional wear foundation. (I do have a few blogs on hand from me and many other pale peeps who recommend this).
I think it provides a light to buildable meduim coverage without feeling or looking too cakey.
It's also borderline Neutral in the undertones (I think), it slightly sways more towards pinky than yellow.
Also have you tried Sleek aswell, they do have plenty of foundations shades from the lightest of light to the darkest of dark.
I do hope that this has helped :D

shellygrrl

Staff member
Also have you tried Sleek aswell, they do have plenty of foundations shades from the lightest of light to the darkest of dark.
I just went on Sleek's website; they've really expanded their range of colours. (30 all together now! Probably the largest range I've seen from any makeup brand, high- or low-end.) The first three or four shades, which are among the new ones, look very fair. (Linen, Oyster, Oatmeal.)

ElvenEyes

I love this thread! While I sometimes wear my MUFE HD #110, I still prefer Estee Lauder's Lucidity Foundation in Pale Ivory, which is a perfect match to my NW15 skin. I would love to try one of the Chanel ones, but no idea what it would look like on me. I need to find a counter.

PeachTwist

I have so many issues with foundation it drives me nuts.

Drugstore: You can't test properly before purchasing. No sample available to try out, see if it oxidizes, matches properly or whatever.

High End: I can never freaking find someone to help match me properly and I am TERRIBLE at matching myself. It seems to be the one thing I have a huge issue with other than liquid/gel liner. It took me 3 attempts, 3 different counters and 3 different MA's to match me to my EL DW foundation.

As much as I like EL DW, it's £26 and has SPF in it. I hate SPF being in my foundation because if I go out at night and photos are taken, voila - it looks like my foundation is lighter than my skin!

I'm going off of Temptalia's Foundation Matrix in guessing I'm NC15 in MAC - not sure if I am, as when they matched me I was told NW20.

If anyone of my shade with combo/quite oily skin has any decent dupes for my shade I'd really, really appreciate the help and any info you can give me on the foundation (how long it lasts, finish, oxidizes or not etc).