Portfolio tips :)

trojanpopcorn

OK, so if some of you have read my previous posts you will see that in the UK to be hired by MAC you almost ALWAYS have to be trained as a makeup artist.

Now I am not going to go down without a fight!!!
smiles.gif

I'd like to whip up a portfolio- not a really expensive fancy smancy one, but once that I can do myself that will maybe give some sort of demonstration.

Can anyone, especially makeup artists or counter workers please suggest what you would look for if I presented you this portfolio.

I know it could be a longshot, and maybe I am not good enough, but I want to see if I can try.

Thankyou
smiles.gif

j_absinthe

Start strong, end strong. Make sure the pictures themselves show your versatility, but also make sure the photos maintain the integrity of the makeup (no heavy retouching, making sure the texture of the skin is still slightly visible, etc.)

trojanpopcorn

Thanks for a quick response..... when you say retouching, I presume you mean photoshop. What do you think are the basic things I should retouch (that is, if you know).

Do I need a huge amount of piccies?

I literally just want a counter job but I have to prove talent so I can skip the whole new policy (a couple of people hae said the manager will have the final say if i dont have training as a makeup artist)

glam8babe

i think its a great idea to have different pictures of all different types of skin tones etc. Work with black, white, asian girls and that will show how you can work with different skin tones - im no expert but its the first idea that came to mind

j_absinthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by glam8babe
i think its a great idea to have different pictures of all different types of skin tones etc. Work with black, white, asian girls and that will show how you can work with different skin tones - im no expert but its the first idea that came to mind

Definently, it all goes back to versatility.

As far as retouching goes, it varies from photographer to photographer. If you're taking them yourself, perhaps just some color adjustment and stuff like that will help, getting rid of raised marks or blemishes that you really have no control over, nothing too drastic. You don't need a whole lot of pics, anywhere from 12-20 strong pictures is good I think. Since you're just looking to get into working for a counter, I don't honestly know what they're looking for as much as, say, an agency is looking for.

HTH.

Ella_

Take a course in proper sanitation, call a makeup academy and see if you can sit in on the sanitation day and get a little certifercate done up for that unit.

A big part of getting a counter job is proper sanitation and hygene practices and most managers and companies want to see you know the proper practices so they dont have to spend valuable time being trained on that as well as how the store / counter runs.

BunnyBunnyBunny

What is MAC's motto?
All races, all ages, all sexes, all MAC.
So make sure you use a different spectrum of skin colors/races, different ages, and if you can, include some men too. Make sure you create different looks as well, natural, smokey, glamour, etc. Also, if you can, name the MAC products that you have used on the models, as well as what skin type they are.

=) Good luck!