prep and prime beauty balm spy 35

Mac-Guy

Well if SPF is drying than it might make the product better for oily skin and therefore mine. I always reapply sunscreen when I'm out for a long time, but I don't spend long periods in the sun most of the time. In summer that is way to hot for me and in the winter there is not much sun (actually today there is finally), but I'm indoors and not near a window where the sun hits. I have to ride on my bicycle in the morning and that's half an hour to an hour after I applied my makeup and therefore the SPF will protect me during that time outdoors. So for me it's not a complete waste:)
You are good, girl. Living in Northern Europe, the sun is not nearly as bad as in other places of the world.

Mac-Guy

Quote:

Thanks, Mac-Guy. Very useful info!

I have combination skin but I had a lot of dry, scaly patches earlier this winter. Things were quickly back to normal when I went on holiday but now that I'm back I'm noticing a bit of dryness here and there. My skincare regime hasn't changed, so I'm attributing it to the weather or the water. Or perhaps it's something psychological, I dunno. I think I'm going to try using my Clarisonic every other day until my skin is a bit less sensitive (I currently use it daily, but just in the evenings). If it gets worse I'll stop using the PPBB Cream for a bit until my horrible winter skin goes away.
It's quite possible that the SPF is the cause of your dry patches, especially in combination with dry heat (radiators) and cold weather. Maybe try to go w/ it for a couple of weeks to see if it makes a difference. You might want to try out Studio Sculpt (and mix it with your moisturizer). It's a similar effect in terms of coverage and your skin will still look like skin (i.e. not powdery or cakey).

Don't get me wrong, I still think the BB cream/compact is a good product, but one has to be aware of the side effects of the SPF. Dry patches are no fun!

Pinkdollface

You are good, girl. Living in Northern Europe, the sun is not nearly as bad as in other places of the world.
That's true. I can hate the cold sometimes, but at the same time I wouldn't wanna live in the heat all year long and have my makeup melt off.

BuickMackane

It's quite possible that the SPF is the cause of your dry patches, especially in combination with dry heat (radiators) and cold weather. Maybe try to go w/ it for a couple of weeks to see if it makes a difference. You might want to try out Studio Sculpt (and mix it with your moisturizer). It's a similar effect in terms of coverage and your skin will still look like skin (i.e. not powdery or cakey).

Don't get me wrong, I still think the BB cream/compact is a good product, but one has to be aware of the side effects of the SPF. Dry patches are no fun!
I didn't have the PPBB when I started getting the awful dry patches but I'll definitely discontinue it if things get worse. Come to think of it, my Daywear moisturiser has SPF too. Hmmm...

Mac-Guy

I didn't have the PPBB when I started getting the awful dry patches but I'll definitely discontinue it if things get worse. Come to think of it, my Daywear moisturiser has SPF too. Hmmm...
I would assume that the SPF in your moisturizer is only 15? Or is it higher too? Maybe go off it for a while. As we are in the middle of winter, it's a good time to try.

Re your dry patches: If you haven't done so, try the Acne brush with your Clarisonic. IMO, the Clarisonic is the best method to gently get rid of drier skin and dry patches. It has done wonders for my skin.

BuickMackane

I would assume that the SPF in your moisturizer is only 15? Or is it higher too? Maybe go off it for a while. As we are in the middle of winter, it's a good time to try.

Re your dry patches: If you haven't done so, try the Acne brush with your Clarisonic. IMO, the Clarisonic is the best method to gently get rid of drier skin and dry patches. It has done wonders for my skin.
Yes, it's SPF 15.

I use the delicate brush head and I haven't had any problems since this winter. I'm using my last one, so I'll order the acne one next. I'd hate it if I had to discontinue using my Clarisonic. It's one of the best investments I made.

martiangurll

I would prefer a version w/ SPF. The SPF can be quite drying to the skin, especially if your skin needs moisture. Those with dry skin probably want to stay away from layer product over product that has sunscreen in it. It will make thirsty skin even drier. In addition, if you want to get the full benefit of an SPF, you'll need to reapply the product at least every two hours, if not more often. After that, it is useless. We've all seen it: despite using a high SPF on vacation, we got a tan (or sunburn).

If you want protection from the sun, a waterproof sunscreen would be the most effective (though those do not mix well with make up). The best advice is to stay out of the sun and stay in doors. While that is not always possible, the best possible use of sunscreen in make up is to apply it about 30 min before you leave the house. Protect your face (or any exposed body parts) with scarves or hats. Use physical screens such as umbrellas or specific clothing. Now it all depends where you live and what kind of sun exposure you get on a daily basis.

To put in a nutshell, the SPF in most make up products is just a marketing gimmick that jumps on the train of selling a "healthy product." Unfortunately, by no means it is an effective way to protect your skin as the SPF will not last throughout the day.

HTH
Do we know that for sure? If my foundation has SPF that comes from titanium oxide or other mineral sunscreen and it stays on my face all day, shouldn't it protect somewhat? I agree with staying out of the sun, using a hat ect, but it should protect me from rays entering windows or a quick trip from my car to the building, otherwise, whats the point? If the sunscreen in foundation or TM isn't really good after a few hours, it seems to me pointless to try and get SPF in those products, because I just don't have time to reapply that often...

sayah

I'm NW10 and I got the tube in Extra Light. It's absolutely perfect for me!

These are permanent, right? I don't need to BU?

AniBEE

I think I got the old formula as this one was purchased at a CCO. I got impatient waiting for the new one! Are there significant differences in the new product?
Do we know that for sure? If my foundation has SPF that comes from titanium oxide or other mineral sunscreen and it stays on my face all day, shouldn't it protect somewhat? I agree with staying out of the sun, using a hat ect, but it should protect me from rays entering windows or a quick trip from my car to the building, otherwise, whats the point? If the sunscreen in foundation or TM isn't really good after a few hours, it seems to me pointless to try and get SPF in those products, because I just don't have time to reapply that often...
A physically sun block last longer then a chemical one but it will wear off during the day due to literal wear on the skin.

I use a face powder with a physical sun block all the time during the warmer season (I would name it, but the product was DC'd 5 years ago) but I do need to reapply it mid day and I don't add something like a setting spray to lock it in place.

Here my review on BB compact in Extra Light.
http://www.warpaintandunicorns.com/2013/01/mac-prep-prime-bb-beauty-balm-compact.html

And yes these are permanent unless they get DC'd or reformulated. ;)

Mac-Guy

I think I got the old formula as this one was purchased at a CCO. I got impatient waiting for the new one! Are there significant differences in the new product?
The texture is very different. The old one is more firm, whereas the new one is much creamier.

It's actually old news that sunscreens need to be reapplied every two hours. Every sunscreen will wear off (chemical or physical). There is lots of information available from trusted sources, e.g. skin cancer foundation, etc. Reapplying sunscreen in regular intervals is probably the only solution in combination with protective clothing.

Mac-Guy

martiangurll, I just checked the new BB compact. It even says on the instructions to reapply every two hours (see below). HTH (and happy reapplying).

kirsten

I am loving the BB balm (tube)! The coverage is pretty good and I can't imagine using it as a primer underneath a foundation. It seems like it would be too much but I will try it out one day. As of now I am happy wearing it on its own with some powder. I took a pic yesterday wearing it. I am wearing "Extra Light" as I am very fair skinned. After wearing it a couple of my friends want to buy it too.

Pinkdollface

I am loving the BB balm (tube)! The coverage is pretty good and I can't imagine using it as a primer underneath a foundation. It seems like it would be too much but I will try it out one day. As of now I am happy wearing it on its own with some powder. I took a pic yesterday wearing it. I am wearing "Extra Light" as I am very fair skinned. After wearing it a couple of my friends want to buy it too.

Looks good on you! I also really like the BB cream:) First I thought it didn't cover very well, but after wearing it a couple of times I think it's just right for everyday use with a powder. I was just too used to fuller coverage foundations that I don't always need. I won't use foundation a lot anymore, because this is so great for me!

martiangurll

Well, that just isn't practical. Guess the UV rays are going to get me. I do use a daytime moisturizer with sunscreen and try to stay covered up but I have certainly been lured into a false sense of security with the whole SPF in foundation thing.
martiangurll, I just checked the new BB compact. It even says on the instructions to reapply every two hours (see below). HTH (and happy reapplying).

Audrey C

Unfortunately the tube BB cream has been breaking me out on the nose and chin. It took me awhile to narrow down what was doing it but I'm pretty confident it's this. Too bad - i liked this product.

Mac-Guy

Well, that just isn't practical. Guess the UV rays are going to get me. I do use a daytime moisturizer with sunscreen and try to stay covered up but I have certainly been lured into a false sense of security with the whole SPF in foundation thing.
Yup, unless you reapply every couple of hours, they don't do much for protection.

allthingsmakeup

Unfortunately the tube BB cream has been breaking me out on the nose and chin. It took me awhile to narrow down what was doing it but I'm pretty confident it's this. Too bad - i liked this product.
And that's exactly the reason why I am scared to try this new BB. I cannot use anything with SPF on my face or it will make me break out. I have never ever had problems with my skin untill I used products with SPF on my face.
wondering.gif
And I do admit I was curious about this BB cream...

Audrey C

And that's exactly the reason why I am scared to try this new BB. I cannot use anything with SPF on my face or it will make me break out. I have never ever had problems with my skin untill I used products with SPF on my face.
wondering.gif
And I do admit I was curious about this BB cream...
I don't think it was the SPF - I wear sunscreen daily. I'm not sure what did it, but when I stopped using the cream it went away.I ended up exchanging it for P&P natural radiance base. That one hasn't bothered me at all and I really like it under matter foundations.

allthingsmakeup

I don't think it was the SPF - I wear sunscreen daily. I'm not sure what did it, but when I stopped using the cream it went away.I ended up exchanging it for P&P natural radiance base. That one hasn't bothered me at all and I really like it under matter foundations.
Well that's good to hear and I will give it a try too...thanx
flower.gif

Latest posts